What's on Your Master Bus (in the Studio)?

what do you mean? to your aux send to apply to spefic channel on your mix board?
thank you

Just ordered the Heritage Successor a few days ago, but looks like they are back ordered until January :cry:

1 Like

Agreed :slight_smile:
Also the latest update (3.0) of Rough Rider can lead to surprising results… Well sometimes from the dark side :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooo no you didn’t :blush:

Looking good, tho. Real good :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have my Syntrx on a master bus currently, the internal routing is super flexible so you can do a lot while still taking advantage of it as a mono synth.

1 Like

I haven’t looked at this thread in quite a while, but there may be some products listed that catch your eye.

2 Likes

For people that don’t want to learn sound engeneering but have a decent master, you could check this plugin from Plugin Alliance : bx_masterdesk.

30$ with the code XMAS20-BXMD

3 Likes

For years I was running everything through the heat, loved the results but after a while I became distracted by the sonic footprint it imparted. Since getting a better laptop which can run OB smoothly i’ve been using it more on busses and as the killer distortion it was born to be!

I really like using the UAD ATR-102, Pultec EQs, and SSL G bus comp on the master once i’ve got a mix going. They are much more transparent and offer a good range of sculpting options to tie everything together.

5 Likes

Nothing anymore. It distracts me a lot at the stage of producing. I find myself fiddling a lot with the master bus in stead of the rest. If I would render a song, then I would try to ‘master’ a bit. I use some of the airwindows plugins like console and totape. A bit of loudmax and I love the pultec magic…

3 Likes

I used to bounce my mixes through a couple channels of my Boss KM60 with just a tiny touch of distortion happening, which was a crude experiment at the time but when I listen back to those tracks I really love what it did to them. Miss that mixer a lot.

3 Likes

Hey, mate. Still happy with this setup? I’m thinking of getting a Boum to add to my SiX, to warm up the Deluge which goes into SiX ch1 and ch2, through the drum compressor and then straight into the g-bus bliss.

No I’ll slap it on a channel, record it, and return it back to the master. Super easy to do with Ableton, and OB. Although using it as an aux send on a physical mixer is a good idea as well.

Damn that was a sweet deal, hope some here jumped on it.

2 Likes

maybe next time when its on sale…it’s at 299 currently.

Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Analog Heat mk2 (plus plug-ins) but I’m eyeing the Overstayer 8755dm and Louder Than Liftoff Silver Bullet but they’re probably replaceable with software solutions as almost anything else these days.
Actually, I’m not sure that hardware processors make much sense anymore. I’ll try to demo said hw processors and if they turn to be as good as ppl say they are and if I wouldn’t be able to replicate the results with plugins than maybe ill buy one of them. But for that money (3200 and 2400 euros!) im expecting to be amazed beyond belief!

1 Like

The TC Finalizer’s compressor mainly and it’s really good.

I would likely still be using that setup if Goodhertz didn’t release their Tupe plugin (beta version) not too long after getting Boum. Now I just track through the g-bus comp and use Tupe + a limiter plugin.

I have kind of changed stances and think that while Boum can work on a master bus - I am certainly happy with the tracks I used it on - it excels at processing submixes or individual sounds. So using it between Deluge and SiX should work well, or on a Prophet, or Blackbox effect send.

I think I may have just had to re-record too many tracks I went overboard on Boum with and found plugins make things easier for me for that final mastering stage (pseudo-mastering in my case… my approach is more hammer than scalpel). Tupe’s distortion sounds a million times better to me as well, I hate to admit.

So the honeymoon has clearly passed and Boum has sat in its box except for occasional experiments, but I still don’t want to get rid of it yet because as far as hardware goes it’s what I’d want to use for a “warming unit”.

I still think it’s worth trying and that you would very likely enjoy it, and if it’s not all love you can easily let it go for around what they fetch for, or perhaps more.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: don’t start now @circuitghost ! Just kidding. Now I have something else to watch for and ask about :+1:t3:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure I’m gonna go for it. Still experimenting with new workflows, so we’ll see. You’re safe. For now :smiling_imp:

Thanks @LaughingAnimal I’m hearing enough mixed opinions about the Boum that I think I’ll hold and look elsewhere. Thanks for your reply.

The Overstayer looks like a performance-soundshaping tool to me after a drum-machine but the price is a bit over the cliff, the LTL SB is a decent preamp with many options but replaceable with software? i have my doubts - on the other hand i guess nearly nobody would hear that gear except the one who is using it (just think about myself ironically) … but you know, hands-on-feeling is all that matters

so go for it

1 Like

If anybody is interested in the bx_masterdesk. Right now it’s available for 49.99$

2 Likes