What's next for Elektron?

they didn’t say it’s maxed out, they said it’s hard to implement a 2nd lfo but they will keep looking into it.
if processing power is too limited i would even be cool with having sampling machines available only on the 4 tom tracks or something similar.

3 Likes

I’m talking about irl at trade shows, I haven’t seen what they said about it on here tbh

Looked it up in the manuals (DT 1.10, AR 1.70). You’re right. The AR doesn’t allow for reverse playback. Never missed it (much more useful in chopped samples for single slices per LFO). But that’s a distinction.

Edit: it does (see below) :slight_smile:

Anyway, I think they are doing the right thing, giving each machine a super skill the others don’t have. And hey - they implemented midi out in AR, the gave us song mode (and a very good one) for new dark trinity, they added machines never to be expected to DT, AR.

I just doubted that it really was a hardware limit with AR. I totally understand that they prioritize and that developing a new platform is a task that costs a lot of resources. (Of the company, not tha machine :slight_smile: )

1 Like

the AR does allow reverse playback, you just have to set the sample end lower than the sample start.
on the DT with start and length instead of start and end i think it was just better for that granular stuff that some people seem to be into :wink:

1 Like

That‘s even more useful, I think. Thanks for the hint!

1 Like

It was near enough 4 years ago since I had it so I can’t remember clearly but yeh it was along the lines of not really having much/any control over loop points, less sample start definition (essentially anything outside of basic one-shots, tho tbf it is explicitly a drum machine so its fair enough that the sampling would be bare-bones in this way), as well as the base width filter, 2nd LFO etc etc. I’m sure there was more, tho those were significant enough for me. I would have really liked an excuse to keep it as I loved the analogue filters, compression etc, but I distinctly remember thinking that what I was trying to make it do didn’t really feel like a good fit for the instrument, and that what I was trying to do was really a job for the digitakt

1 Like

Yes, I miss the 2nd bandpass filter and 2nd LFO, too.

The initial argument was that I doubted that there were indeed technical limitations to implement a 2nd LFO, since AR basically contains a digitakt minus some bells and whistles and they added complex stuff lately. I thought it would be rather limitations in assigned resources which is understandable. And of course to make incentives for AR users to own digitakts, too, so the machines do not cannibalize each other’s profit. :wink:

What is the basis for you to doubt it though? Those machines were developed at different times, the original AR is from 2014, the Digitakt is from 2017, microcontrollers evolved quite a bit during this period of time in terms of processing power vs price.

The AR doesn’t contain a Digitakt, they might share some code on the sampling part because it was easier for Elektron to lift the code out of the AR sampling engine and adapt for the Digitakt hardware but just because the interface looks similar you can’t make assumptions on how it’s implemented and even less what hardware powers it underneath. Also the controllers of the AR have to drive all the analog engines which is a very different undertaking than a pure digital machine like the DT.

It’s easy to be cynical but it can lead you to a path of bitterness and assumptions.

3 Likes

The concept of doubt is complex. Basically it’s automated complex (black box) and quick pattern analysis, developed over long time periods in evolution. And can lead to wrong results.

The part about bitterness and cynical I did not understand. If you read my posts in the last days they were always cheerful, never complaining, rather understanding in respect to design and business decisions.

Maybe that wasn’t addressed at me. :smiley::wink:

1 Like

Not directed at your other comments at all! Just at this last bit:

This to me sounded a bit cynical when coupled with you doubting about technical limitations, didn’t mean to offend just to be clear (and I really enjoyed your other comments!), wanted more to pull you out of thinking they haven’t done it for ulterior reasons that weren’t “it’s technically infeasible” which is the more generous response than simply casting a bit of unfounded doubt over it.

1 Like

Yes and the ARmkII from 2018. And that one contains functions the first one didn’t have, as well as generally upgraded hardware.

Maybe it’s some kind of backwards compatibility decision so that the number of functions between mki und mkii is more or less the same. However, people switched machines for a little bit more punch in A4 or just facelift and some more buttons (or direct sampling) on AR.

Anyway. Just thoughts, no accusations. Nothing to taken too serious. They made great decisions over the past years. And I have no doubt that their decisions are reasonable and good for them and us :wink:

No that’s just basic economics. Necessary to think that way if a company exceeds a certain size and has different products in the same class. No matter if it is cars or fountain pens. Normal technical terminology.

Kannibalisierungseffekt | Marketing - Welt der BWL (German, didn’t find one so quickly in English)

And after all: that way we can rationalize buying and owning ever more machines. I love the dopamine kick of new or different gear (more on that in the ancient syntakt thread) :smiley::sweat_smile::shushing_face:

There will ne huge disappointment when people will know that there is no Digitalt mk2 this year

Love that pre-excitement phase. Even bought a ticket to superbooth :sweat_smile: Hope they don’t wait until the very last moment the very last day. Can be there only one day.

But there will be something, felt p~.978 :sweat_smile::partying_face:

1 Like

I think we get the point, no need to tell it once a week.

1 Like

well, there is a lot in this thread that is mentioned, theorised or fabulized about again and again. cause its quite long

1 Like

That’s the fun with it. I just read the epic syntakt speculation thread again :sweat_smile: And someone was spot on in the 18th post! :star_struck::star_struck::+1:

1 Like

Are we skipping mk2 and going straight to mk3? Nice.

2 Likes

Did R? I just read we shouldn’t spread misinformation and disinformation :wink:

I bet against the market - buying digitakts for lowest prices in the dozens right now :sweat_smile: But then I would be disappointed if they did introduce a digitakt mk 2⁴ for 599 EUR :sweat_smile:

So, that said. Someone will be disappointed. Can we agree on that? :wink::partying_face: Either those with positive or those with negative expectations. Or those who bought new DT and 30 day money back period is over.