What's next for Elektron?

It can’t be that hard to rewrite.

would be nice

1 Like

New Elektron Cloud, only $0.50 per parameter lock!

4 Likes

I am not sure that’s the way the software license/copyright is working actually. Even in a big software companies there is no such granularity on licenses or codebase.

1 Like

I heard that was a false rumor?

The corporate boner for debundling, micropayments, and subscription models as the de facto “better way to do things” reminds me of how every last tiny town gets excited about the installation of a new “monorail” or similar…

An OT with usb audio usb midi would make me buy it (I already want one)

3 Likes

That would be very strange. Normally, a company owns the software that their employees produce, and they have software engineering structures in place that enable new people to learn how to work with it.

2 Likes

Elektron not owning the license to the OT firmware does not sound likely. There’s no copyright or anything in the manual for the software for any third party. And even if the original designer has sadly passed, that’s what source code is for.

It is not 100% impossible though. It happens that source code gets lost or deleted when someone passes or quits on bad terms.

1 Like

chat.openai.com could possibly rewrite the codes for them.

2 Likes

I’m sure their current software developers can handle updating their own proprietary code. 🫠

PROMPT: Write something that looks vaguely like the sort of code that would underpin the operation of a music making tool like the Electron Octatrack when it was originally conceived of some time a decade or so back

OUTPUT:

// Initialize variables for audio engine
int sampleRate = 44100;
int bufferSize = 1024;

// Set up MIDI input and output
MIDIInput input;
MIDIOutput output;

// Create an audio engine object
AudioEngine engine;

// Set the sample rate and buffer size for the audio engine
engine.setSampleRate(sampleRate);
engine.setBufferSize(bufferSize);

// Load samples and create sample players
SamplePlayer player1;
player1.loadSample(“kick.wav”);
SamplePlayer player2;
player2.loadSample(“snare.wav”);

// Set up audio routing
engine.addInput(player1);
engine.addInput(player2);
engine.addOutput(output);

// Set up looping region for sample players
player1.setLoopStart(0);
player1.setLoopEnd(1.0);
player2.setLoopStart(0);
player2.setLoopEnd(1.0);

// Set up control mapping for sample players
input.mapControl(player1, 1, 0); // map player1 to control 1 on MIDI input
input.mapControl(player2, 2, 0); // map player2 to control 2 on MIDI input

// Start the audio engine
engine.start();

// Main loop for handling incoming MIDI events
while (true) {
// Check for new MIDI events
MIDIMessage message = input.getNextEvent();
if (message.getType() == MIDIMessage::NOTE_ON) {
// Process note on event
int noteNumber = message.getNoteNumber();
int velocity = message.getVelocity();
if (noteNumber == 60) {
// Play kick sample
player1.play();
} else if (noteNumber == 62) {
// Play snare sample
player2.play();
}
}
}

Didn’t realise how easy this coding lark was :smiley:

7 Likes

I also think this would be a winner. OT MK3 with USB multitrack audio and midi.
Doesn’t need any OT plugin interface GUI thing, just the multioutput over USB would be a win.

2 Likes

Id like to see an Octatrack MK3 with internal synth engines(preferably analog). This this would be an insta buy for me.

1 Like

Digitakt Mk2 with stereo sampling and the ability to use all 16 tracks for samples and/or midi. 8 note polyphony. 128 steps too! I would never buy another box.

12 Likes

Yes! 16 tracks midi or sampling FTW!

1 Like

And that’s why they won’t make it :rofl:

4 Likes

But… all recent updates for OT are contained only new features for sequencer part.

I think it’s not only about writing the code. It also an idea and vision about how this instrument hardware should work with the software. That’s why Elektron was so special in their early days. They knew how to write a code but they also had a vision and unique ideas about music making.

2 Likes

It’s crazy but when all that SaaS stuff was floating around, I mean, the Syntakt is the exact same physical box as the Digitakt, yet they chose not to just release Syntakt as a paid-for firmware and faceplate.

Maybe it’s better that way, but I wonder how many Digitakt folks would have bought up the firmware and cover if it was like 100 or 200 quid?

Whatever that stuff is, I guess we haven’t hit it yet.

Something else too is the way the Models were like this pretty solid deviation design-wise. We’ve yet to see any of that stuff spill over into other machines.

I feel like whatever’s next from Elektron will be a real departure from the current crop. Like a next gen thing.

I also wouldn’t mind a kind’ve flagship Syntakt, like, an AR mki (or ii) style - external outs, additional sequencery things, some FM machines that boro from the DN a bit. That would be sick, but pretty throwback I guess.