What's next for Elektron?

I’d pay good money for a DN+DT lovechild: 4 tracks of synth engine + 4 tracks of samples + 8 midi tracks, in the same Digi format.

They could even do a variation, one with DN’s FM engines and the DT’s Sample tracks, and another with the A4 voices and the Syntakt’s engines.

3 Likes

This really shows to me how lacking most Elektrons are in the arpeggiator department. I don’t want to use OT for midi, I’d prefer ST (or in the past DN), but no arp…

1 Like

A minor update that would be pretty worthwhile would be Heat Mk3 with just some more focus on the use of it for compression, limiting, mastering stuff that a lot of people like it for.

Most things can stay the same. Add maybe one or two flavors in the mild ballpark of Clean-Saturate but aimed at mastering; add a compressor.

6 Likes

Yessss, the HeatStation …

1 Like

What’s next for Elektron

And stay tuned for a sweet upcoming… upgrading…
upleveling! Explore and purchase Syntakt via link in bio.

apparently not an update for the analogs

1 Like

In my opinion, what’s really missing from heat is the Elektron sequencer. I know it’s an effect unit, but I think it would be very fun to have parameter locks built in.

4 Likes

Agree well it’s great at least for beef to tracks.

I would love it if Elektron took the Digi-approach of making synths that are more immediate than the bigger units. And then put it in a case the size of older analogs/OT MK II or even A4/AR MK II which are great lap boxes. Use the additional space for knobs or sliders so that the unit gets a little bit closer to something like a Roland boutique that is small but still has all these controls to play them live. But with a powerful and easy to use Elektron sequencer.

Maybe make a few knobs real potis instead of endless encoders and have them go to a dedicated destination like filter cutoff. And 4 sliders for ADSR with shift function for amp/envelope. A few knobs or sliders left for individual assignment like macros on A4/AR MK2 or OT. Four analog voices with limited parameters and a big sweet spot would suffice. Maybe two tracks would also be enough. No MIDI sequencer necessary. Maybe offer a 37/49 key version and a desktop unit.

I feel like this synth with the Elektron sequencer would speak to a lot of people that Elektron is trying to get with the models/digis. The Elektron sequencer makes the digis powerful machines for composing and playing them live. But the lack of knobs/sliders makes it a bit harder to play them live without thinking about it. The bigger boxes have a lot of these features, but are really complex and usually need a lot of pre-planning to setup macro controls. A lot of people eventually use one Elektron box to MIDI sequence a more knobby and sweetspotty synth - but why not combine it in one box that works as a standalone for composing and playing live, but also shines when combining it with another Elektron device. I think this device would sell really well and could be a future classic.

Maybe they could even implement a less complex sequencer. Have the 16 buttons and four pages, so you can live record and edit steps. Allow for automation recording. But maybe we don’t need plocking for every parameter (sacrilegous!). Or Elektron could do cooperations and implement their sequencer into other manufacturers synths. Kinda like the Dreadbox Medusa!

What do you mean by lap boxes? Do you use them sitting on a couch? I was thinking about that but not sure how it would work with the AF/AR/OT, I have a small flat with kids.

1 Like

I personally would love a Rytm MK3 - with the following enhancements:

SAMPLE AREA

• Stereo sample support
  • Sample slice support / transient detection (great for loops and sample chains)
  • Sample rate reduction parameter

AUDIO ENGINE

• Pass-through of higher frequencies (it’s way muffled compared to Digitone)
  • Direct bypass of all circuits after the DAC to let the aliasing shine through like a Jomox
  • A gate effect on the master
  • Internal busses for the distortion, compression, and gating…Machinedrum had internal busses, and now Syntakt…let’s go!
  • a second filter or EQ per Track for better mixdown
  • Transient designer (IN level, ATTACK, SUSTAIN, OUT level) per Track
  • Stereo effects loop on rear (come on, how cool would that be?)

OTHER

• Better quality/sensitivity on the pads
  • 8 bar patterns
  • A front panel slider for data entry
  • Rechargeable internal battery
  • (BONUS) User-selectable LCD backlight color, and pad colors, and a cute 8 or 16-bit welcome screen greeting you by name

I would sell my left kidney for this, just sayin…

8 Likes

I think A4 MK II is perfect for sitting on the couch, putting it on your lap and have fun designing sounds or programming sequences. Especially because it is slightly tilted and a bit broader, really comfortable. AR MK II has the same form factor and also works for this, probably not while lying down or when drumming heavier due to pads instead of clacky buttons.

2 Likes

That’s how I composed Run Forest Run.

2 Likes

Trakmyks

• Same Size and Form-Factor as Digitone, Digitakt, Syntakt
  • 3 “Overbridge-enabled” USB Host Inputs for connecting up to 3 Digi-Devices
  • 2 ADAT Input/output for adding 8 channels of external audio and 8 channels of send/return effects
  • 32-Channel Mixer (up to 24 channels via Overbridge + 8 Channels ADAT Audio) with
    – EQ / Compressor per Channel
    – 2 internal send effects
    – up to 4 stereo external send/return effects (via adat)
    – 4 subgroups with EQ / Compressor / Drive
    – 1 Master with EQ / Multiband-Compressor / Limiter
  • Sequencer Engine just for P-Locks of Channel- and FX-Parameters including Song Mode
  • Master Clock and Transport (including Record Arm and Pre-Roll) for connected overbridge devices and Midi-Outs
  • 1 Midi-In for connecting external masterkeyboards, sequencers, gridcontrollers, faderboxes
  • 4 Midi-Out with flexible Routing Matrix (think Digitone Midi 2 -> Midi-Out 3 Channel 13)
  • Stereo Master Out
  • Stereo Headphone Out
  • Recording of all individual channels + subs + fx + master to external SSD

I think the button-layout of the Digitone would be perfect for this.
The 4 Track Buttons could act as selecting channels 1-8 / 9-16 … whereas the lower row would be “mute”, the upper row “solo” and the 8 encoders either volume, pan, send fx, internal fx depending on which encoder-mode you selected with the buttons below the encoders.

There is just no small, portable and feature-rich way of mixing and recording a dawless setup at the moment. I am searching for days now for a solution to this and it all ends in either big mixing desks (with the downside of having only a stereo out for my elektron devices) or using a PC or Mac with Overbridge and a multiple input audio interface…

• mo
6 Likes

The name is really not Elektorn style

Oh yeah, you are right. Was just a working title, it’s obviously not Digimix. How about Trakmyks?

1 Like

Neither is Elektorn :wink:

7 Likes

Appreciate your nod to your album thread! And a great case for A4!

I have a good news for you, the model version of the Syntakt already exists since beginning of 2020 and is called Model:Cycles.

7 Likes

… a new version of DT. With a compact flash drive!!! =DIGITAKT GOLD EDITION . A design as neat as the syntakt. And features set out in the dedicated thread. Retrig midi??? More memory 64mo!!! is so ridiculous… Date from the Middle Ages. To do well and it would take 256gb minimum
This is it++

3 Likes

I’ve been hoping we’d get two trig conditions for the longest. I want to be able to have a note not play on the first play through, but then trigger 70% of the time after that.

6 Likes