What's next for Elektron?

Elektron Turntable? The Elektron Djtakt.

7 Likes

I really would love Elektron to release a dedicated sound module version of the Digitone. The Digitone XM

• 16 - 32 voices
  • no sequencer (not needed, this is a sound module)
  • 4 x part multi (as per the DN)
  • Audio multi-out (as per the DN keys)
  • Rack mountable
  • Overbridge enabled

thoughts?

1 Like

I can see the desire to cut down on one aspect of the machine (sequencer) in order to more fully develop the other aspect (more voices), however the sequencer is such an integral part of the Elektron DNA that I doubt they’d do it. It’s one of the big reasons folks buy Elekton products. The sequencer itself is a modulator of the synth.

The last Elektron sound module without a sequencer was the Sidstation, and I doubt they’d take that 20+ year step back now that they’ve put so much into the sequencer. It’s their special sauce.

6 Likes

DigiOSC

• Digitakt/Digitone Form factor and sequencer
  • Interchangeable Osc Machine slots using open source ones like
    1 - Muteable Plaits OSC’s
    2 - Korg NTS User Oscillators (there are lots avail already)
  • 8-16 Note Polyphony
  • Bi/Quad Timbral (like the DN)
  • Rack-mountable
  • Overbridge compatible

not too difficult a port IMHO?

you don’t need a Sequencer in every single box you sell, this module would be a companion unit for other Elektron units (all of them)

1 Like

Their marketing department and investors might disagree. And probably most of the fans of their products :slight_smile:
The desktop synth space is all about on board sequencers, and Elektron is known for their sequencer + synth integration. I hope they don’t take that step backward, personally.

If you removed the sequencer on a Prophet 6, no big deal, no big loss.
You remove the sequencer on an Elektron and there goes most of the modulation capabilities of the synth. A step backward.

So yea, those are my “thoughts”. You asked for 'em. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

DigiTonic

Digitakt form factor with the Sonic Charge uTonic drum synth engine in it. Wifi support so it can download patterns and kits from Patternarium.

5 Likes

honestly think this is exactly the sort of thing they need to do. they seem to be sacrificing or trading off so that every box ends up being a groovebox, basically. this isn’t inherently bad of course, it’s what got Elektron to where they are, but i think they likely need to expand beyond that, at least partly. they’ve got the effects boxes so that’s a toe dipped in, but would love to see what they would do with a synth with no sequencer, or a very limited or different sequencer option.

1 Like

DigiSEQ

• Octatrack form factor / Elektron workflow
  • x 16 tracks with up to 32 bars
  • Multi Midi I/O
  • Multi Midi via USB (overbridge) like MPC
  • Midi LFO, ENV’s and Modifiers
  • CV/GATE I/O
  • Sequencer type per track can choose from many diff seq types (Step / XOX / Piano Roll / Fugue / Euclidian / ARPs/ Elektron / random/chance i.e Turing etc etc)
  • Full Song Mode
4 Likes

This is perfect I am a sucker for grooveboxes :sunny: :black_heart:

For some reason and probably because of my limited space I love my gear standalone.
I am deeply in love with my Hydrasynth Desktop but the lack of sequencer is disturbing. Oh well, now its always attached to the Digitone :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Would be pretty sick if one of these cross faders and some of the bbuttons worked like scenes on the OT.

2 Likes

I’m just not seeing the point in taking products that are well integrated and stripping them down into parts when it is that integration that so many musicians appreciate.

Even in the software world, integrated controllers like Push, Machine, Komplete Kontrol, this is where things are going.

There’s not a single Elektron instrument with a sequencer that can’t be used without the sequencer, as a simple sound module. People have been sequencing their Monomachine with Octatrack for ages.
Why does Elektron need to gut their products. What large group of buyers does that appeal to that makes it a good plan for them as a company? Is it to make things lower priced? If not, who is that demographic?
They’ve proven with their Model series that they are able and willing to appeal to budget minded consumers, and without gutting the sequencer out. And what does that do? Gets them into the eco-system and suddenly that Model Samples buyer can see what the Digitakt fuss is all about, or maybe they even go for an Analog Rytm.

The sequencer has been the key to Elektron instruments since the Machinedrum. It’s integration has made them stand out as a company, and above so many others.
Giving us modules for sequencing and modules for synthesizing is what all the other companies have been doing for decades. Why water down the brand and be like everyone else?

14 Likes

THIS. The only thing that you can leave out are a few buttons and that’s not where the main costs are. Performance-wise the sequencer is also not a large factor and - I guess - the majority of the sequencer’s code base is shared (so not much saving on software development costs, too).

I also don’t see what you could gain from stripping the sequencer.

5 Likes

i still think a brain/performance mixer is the most needed… something that can take usb input of each device and apply effects in a p lockable sequencer… elektron’s MX-1 in other words

9 Likes

They could use Analog Heat as a base, add a sequencer and multiple in and outs

1 Like

I also think a new kind of mixer is the biggest dead-spot in the market. Something that is a hybrid of an A&H Qu and a DB4 with killer fx and an Elektron motion sequencer. I do see why developing such a device would be a big step and a big risk for a narrow-focus firm like Elektron, but it just wouldn’t be as cool if A&H or Mackie or Pioneer made it.

I have it mapped out in my head in quite fine detail, and it is one amazing mixer, but unfortunately I am not on Elektron’s payroll :nerd_face: …(or A&H’s for that matter)

3 Likes

Let’s have it

2 Likes

Yes, huge gap in the market for an all in one mixer. We have all the gear and now we need to be able to jam and record it all together. I love my SSL SiX and about to pull the trigger on the SSL X Desk. All this just to get all my Elektrons to play nice together lol.

2 Likes

totally agree.
remove the sequencer integration and you take away a massive part of what makes elektron unique.

4 Likes

Only if Elektron promise to name it after my Daughter :fairy:

but in a nutshell:
first and foremost it is digital
8 channel faders in 3 banks (2 for inputs one for DAW returns/controll)
8 stereo line ins (4 double as phonos)
8 Mic ins
10 outs
24 I/O DAW interface
DJ style crossfader
Octatrack style crossfader for fading between scenes

3 send effects
Convolution engine to sample external/VST effects chains
1 insert effect per channel
comp per channel
drive per channel
4 stereo aux sends (on top of internal fx)

2 functions per knob (top function and SHIFT function)
No internal sounds but resampling/looping of any source or combination of sources
Touchscreen for metering and setup, but not needed for live mixing and performance
Template setups for DJ set/Live (multiple musicians and instruments)/ Studio / Controller

5 Likes