What's next for Elektron?

I think the reasons Elektron has grown in the last few years is because of the scaling down to the digi boxes, giving people access that would not have had before because of price.
For years I dreamt of an OT, and when the DT came out I had enough money, or could afford 700 bucks… Got the DT, and then immediately the OT MK2 came out and the MK1’s dropped way down(got mine for 800)…So, I ended up with an OT in the end. Spent 2 1/2 years learning it so far, and last year I acquired a MnM.
Thank god for the Digi series because I would never have been able to save up 1500 bucks for a OT in the beginning. So, I understand the idea of making these affordable boxes. I had many friends who had great credit who had Elektron boxes, but at the price point of the bigger boxes, I’m not sure I would have ever been able to break into the Elektron scene without the Digi series.
But, damn… The way the OT and the MnM are almost a modular synth/sampler in a box, I am blown away! It’s insane how open ended the architecture can be. 3 LFO’s, Neighbor tracks, quirky LFO’s, effects/filter per track…and with the MnM, the multitude of synth machines… They should work on things like these too, so when someone does get a Digi, or a Model series machine, and they get the itch for a more full featured machine, they have the option.
The OT is fine as is, but I really think if they just put the MnM back into production, or if they did something similar that would be amazing. I’d upgrade. Of course the Model:Cycles has similarities…kinda…But, it’s it’s own thing. I think a MnM MK3, or even putting the MK2 back into production would be amazing. Put all the marketing back into it!
Or a new machine with the OT/MnM Architecture…

6 Likes

eurorack

1 Like

Same here! Dreamt of a MnM and MD for a long time in my teens and early 20s, but I was poor at the time so they were always out of my league (pay grade), and a second-hand OT Mk1 was only just about affordable because my career improved in my late 20s. I ended up selling the OT, tho, because although it was great, it was single most expensive thing I owned that I could sell to make the rent (when I was living in the ridiculously expensive city of London). When DT came out, it was just at the right level of affordability (then in my early 30s having left London). Long story short, I think it’s amazing that people in the early parts of their careers can now afford to get into Elektron gear, especially with the Models series. A brand new Rytm Mkii is still way out of my affordability range and probably always will be despite me being nearly 40 now haha. So, yes, my point is we don’t know how lucky we are nowadays that on relatively limited budgets, we can now discover Elektron devices for relatively little compared to the good/bad (depending on your POV) old days.

welll… that digitone keys seems pretty fancy to me so… yeah I bet they will continue to make some expensive stuff.

1 Like

I’m more talking about the architecture of the OT and the MnM, with filters and effects per track… and using neighbor tracks, 3 LFO’s… Just the modular design, and what seems endless possibilities. Wonder if that sort of machine is a thing of the past?

2 Likes

Who knows? I’m sure they have a mega box coming along soon enough. It won’t be a race to the bottom. It’s just we’re all looking at recent history but forgetting that they created these open architecture boxes in the past. Everything will come full circle now they’ve satisfied the ‘lower’ end of things imo :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, we disagree on that too.

I see it more like a different version of the same gear, but I get your point.

1 Like

I’m not saying a race to the bottom, just I wonder if the original people that designed those sorts of boxes are still part of the company. I love all Elektron boxes, and think the direction they are doing at the moment is amazing. But, I’ve gotten addicted to learning the possibilities of these older boxes, and honestly don’t see a need for a box with a closed architecture. Hell, the model:cycles looks hella fun, but maybe in a couple of years when I’ve fully explored and mastered the MnM. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
That may be another reason for more focused less expensive instruments, they are more affordable, so you could buy 4 models for the price of a OT.? If they came out with a model:mix, then I would know everything is changing.

2 Likes

Imagine a mixer with at least 6 FX SEND busses.
Scene locking bus routing and crossfade between FX SEND MAPS
Even just MIDI controlled FX SENDS would be crazy.

6 Likes

Hell yeah, we all want that mega box soon enough. Maybe we’ll see the likes of it again. Maybe the economics of such an era are long past. Who knows? But I seriously hope that they continue to blow the competition away with designs that are so integrated and amazing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

true,

if they released a big box today I prob wouldnt be able to afford it in quite a while.

Model Cycles though, instantly added to cart, no questions asked.

I wonder if the economy will have companies lower their prices for upcoming products because people cant afford / justify spending the same prices as yesterday…

2 Likes

Two OTs at least, because that sounds like what the OT can do, but with only 4 mono inputs. Of course it comes with the other millions of things you can do with it, but more streamlined I guess. But, man I’d love an Elektron mixer, Digi sized.:flushed:

1 Like

It’s seems like this is actually a viable path now that Overbridge is working well. It would double as an audio interface even. I imagine 8 mono/4 stereo with 2 preamps or whatever would sell very well.

2 Likes

you don’t think its nice that you get to sustain yourself doing what you love?
not many people get that luxury…

1 Like

That’s not what I’m saying.

I think art has intrinsic value. You can make money with it, though.

Products are not the same.

1 Like

A dry / wet fx knob :crossed_fingers:

They aren’t making synths cuz the world needs synths. Or because you need one…right? And they aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Or we’d be picking them up for free.

They like building synths and found a way to make a living doing that. I think that’s awesome. :+1:t6:

I wish I had some way to do the same. Building golf clubs? Would be SICK!

I’ve been shopping for a Nord Drum 2 the last few days, and they are extremely hard to come by. Meanwhile Machinedrums are getting pricey. As many have said a drum synth in the Digi box format would be nothing short of a game changer.

4 Likes

I think we’re going in circles here.

They like building synths and found a way to make a living doing that.

That’s basically what I said with “I think they are happy doing things that other people will be happy about too.”

And, in order to make money, they have to think in what people would like to have. That’s different from doing something that has intrinsic value.