What's next for Elektron?

Indeed, velocity sensitive and everything.

1 Like

oh cool. I never looked in depth the MS because I own the DT but I should definitively look at it. Look pretty cool to fingerdrum some hiphop drums.

Yea it’s not simply a scaled down Digitakt with fewer tracks, no attack parameter, less granular sample start resolution, and no dedicated envelope (though LFO has an ENV shape as a workaround)

It has more sample slots per project (576 vs 128, but over the same amount of 64MB sample RAM).

A chance knob which means you can Ctrl All probability.

And the filter is LPF+HPF in a Pioneer DJM single knob style, rather than LPF or HPF selectable.

Knob per function (mostly)

There are other difference but those are the biggest.
They’re similar but also different beasts, and I love mine.

1 Like

Did you get an OT MKI? :sketchy:

1 Like

Yea!

off topic

Let go of my MK2 for financial reasons some months ago.
Really missed it and when the MPC One came out I started hunting for a product that was similar to OT MK2 for my needs, but more budget minded.
AKAI’s Force and latest MPCs are real close to doing what I need but don’t tick all the boxes the way the OT does.

After an exhaustive hunt and many PDF manuals perused, I came to the conclusion that the only “Like an OT but on a budget” was the used MK1 in excellent condition I scored on Reverb.

I like the bigger screen on the MK1, and that it matches my A4 MK1 (I actually prefer that Dieter Rams style), the lights that don’t feel like informational overload.
I missed some of the newer dedicated buttons but got over that real quick.
The labels under the encoders though, I may have to make my own :slight_smile:

I might even be a little happier with the MK1 overall. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’ll get that printed on a T-Shirt. :content:

2 Likes

That could be pretty cool… even if it was purely mono it would be nice if they made it with multiple tracks for doing choked drums or something more easily. I kind of feel like the Erica Synths bassline-db-01 and the division department 01/IV cover what I would like to see from elektron in some ways… just pair those 2 with DT or OT have some other synths at the studio you sample and you would be set for all sorts of live fun. Actually been thinking of parting with my beloved A4 and System 1m for those 2, as I just have been way to engrossed in the synth engine on the Pro 2 and my most common use for the A4 has been drums and bass sounds that I think they would more or less cover.

I’ve been thinking about this more and I feel like the next non-Model product is likely to be a replacement for the Octatrack vs a synth or drum machine, because they now have no product with the Octatrack’s feature set that is overbridge compatible.

3 Likes

:content:

1 Like

Can I ask what you mainly use your MS for as you have a OT and DT.?

I’m genuinely interested as I love samplers and have the OT on my when I get time list to purchase . Often seduced by the simpler charms of the MS but a bit on the fence

I don’t have a Digitakt.

I use the model samples for banging out tracks in as little time as possible, after a long day of work at my day job.
I use it for instant gratification.

I use the Octatrack for my live performance. Though I suspect that the MS will find its way there too.

4 Likes

Thanks, appreciated , my mistake on the DT

I’m definitely warming up to the M:S more recently for the exact reasons you mention. I had the DT until recently, and I love my OT Mk2, but at 299€ the simplicity of the M:S and those pads sure looks good for hip hop beats in an instant. I find OT better for processing drum loops as opposed to each individual drum tracks anyway so I’m constantly resampling drums onto one track for this purpose. Hence, I’m really interested to see if there will be a six voice ‘mono machine’ in the M:S format :hugs:

5 Likes

For sure, they’re different beasts.

For me on the M/S though, it’s the one knob filter cutoff that goes LPF and HPF.

Not having to use a bandpass and tweak the width, or two knobs on a base/width filter, or change the filter mode (ala Digitakt), it just makes working with samples ultra fast and simple.

Whatever Elektron does next, I want it to have this filter implementation. (or if multi-mode, have it be at least one of the modes)

3 Likes

I can also attest to this. Got the OT a year ago, then got a M:S during a black friday sale with the same idea as AdamJay - a sketchpad with a familiar (albeit slightly different) workflow. They also complement each other, so I’m starting to look for ways to use them together.

I agree, it always seems somewhat criminal to take up more than a couple tracks on OT for drum hits. To that end, I used to build drum loops in Digitone (and now also M:S) and then sample in 4 bars worth for using as-is or chopping up.

Anyway, I feel as though I’m veering off-topic though, so I’ll cut it short. Definitely curious about what we’ll see from Elekton, when it’s ready.

3 Likes

Definitely. I’ve been using Digitone for drums on my recent tracks (posted on the OT hip hop post). But just yesterday I sampled and processed all of my favourite DN hits into Ableton and then chucked them into the OT. But now being able to play them in rough and live unquantised via an M:S seems the way forward. The single knob filter that @AdamJay mentioned looks awesome too. Hopefully we’ll hear about the next Model at superbooth!

1 Like

I could really go for a subtractive synth in the digi-format. It’s probably a dirty word, but I could probably get along very well with an Elektron “Virtual Analog”

4 Likes

There were virtual analogs on the monomachine so it’s not that hard to imagine them doing this. Is it weird enough for Elektron, tho, that is the question haha

Edit: a DigiWave might be tempting. Virtual analog synthesis but the ability to morph between waveforms in an instant

2 Likes

DigiKarp :joy:

But seriously…
A karplus string machine would be nice.

3 Likes

It would actually be really lovely to see Elektron dip their toes into the Eurocrack scene. I’d love to see a modular spin on things from Elektron, whatever form that would take. Kinda feel like the big old complicated box is over for them, so I’d be happy to take component things in bite size chunks.

2 Likes