What's next for Elektron?

I don’t want to argue further about this, but technically, yes, a sampler typically uses much more memory (both in fast-access RAM for playback as in storage for projects) than a software synth (synthesis like FM, wavetable, additive, subtractive…). Which is a different factor from the processing (DSP/CPU) requirements, which can also vary wildly depending on synthesis. And this commonly is significant design factor for developing such a specialized hardware as Electron does it. It’s not like there’s a linux-based computer inside where a memory requirement of 64MB/1GB typically would not be an issue. I know this because I worked as audio software developer close to hardware, some decades ago. It’s not totally out of whack that the Motorola chip they use (I think they still do) comes with this required memory builtin or as a cheap set which they put in all their old designs. But I doubt it. One could research this.

In any case, this could be one reason that they will start a new line of products soon, as it seems, because this old 68K-based CPU series has probably reached end of life now.

EDIT: Motorola Coldfire processors seem to be readily available, with no end in sight. But ARM will beat them in processing power by large. But they are also more complex to work with in a realtime environment with lots of peripherals, I think. Or it is hard to switch platforms with all this knowledge and experience built up in the house over the years.

Marcus

3 Likes

They are probably now giggling in their office.

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t know those elements.

1 Like

It may still be the case that it would be possible from the old hardware. Or not.

Regarding the future, we will now probably get some 5x-10x speedup ARM chip design which can run all their digital engines at full voice/track count at once. I would guess 32 or 64 voices/tracks. At least 16 digital tracks + 16 MIDI tracks.

I hope they add compatibility to sound data and libraries for the existing series. They will probably build further on the internal machine (plugin) paradigma.

With all this extra power, separate designs for FM, sampling and drum synthesis don’t make much sense anymore. The user interface is also similar enough so they could put it into one glorified box.

I’m thinking of something with an Analog MK2-sized case with 16+16 tracks of all their digital engines, some extra polyphony, some extra send, insert + master FX, for around 2000€. Maybe some analog parts in another later model, which would cost higher, like 3000€.

Total smash hit.

3 Likes

wow, this thread is 100% freak out. I love it.

22 Likes

I’m not sure where I read this, but isn’t the Digitakt a mono core processor and then Digitone and Syntakt use a dual core of the similar kind?
Also I remember that the Syntakt has 1GB of integrated flash (at least it said so in the manual when it was released - could have been a typo), which does not make sense in any other way than the SOC is sold as is and you can not pick and choose parts. But I’m not sure the Digitone also has the 1GB, could not find any source pointing to this.

EDIT: here is the thread which I actually started, lol Syntakt +drive - Elektron Gear / Syntakt - Elektronauts

1 Like

Extra points when they advance from the “the one pattern sequences all tracks” paradigm to something more resembling NI Maschine or Ableton scenes/clips with independent patterns/sequences per track which you can assemble together in dynamic ways live. Also optional variations like fill-ins… there is some totally clever and flexible design waiting to be done!

6 Likes

Makes sense for them to fold the OT and DT into one new product.

OT was from a different era. Makes sense to let it rest.

I wonder though if we will get two flavours, one flagship and one more mid budget.

1 Like

Hey Elektron, surprise us!
Give us everything you got in one box!

for just 5000€!

4 Likes

Based on all this speculation, If they do discontinue and add Digitakt machines into Syntakt, I won’t be mad at all… and I would still not sell my Digitakt, even though I have both.

It might piss of people who only have the Digitakt and were deciding between that and the Syntakt for sure.

3 Likes

They would sell many more then. Only missing kits a bit.

That would probably make me buy a second syntakt tbh

4 Likes

Is this necessarily true? For example, in the movie and gaming business, there’s almost never a project that just appears one day. The hype train for GTA 6 has already begun, and it’s not even releasing this year. And let’s not even talk about Duke Nukem Forever :smiley:

I’m not saying that it’s necessarily wrong to keep upcoming products a secret, but why is it necessarily right?

1 Like

For $2000 :slight_smile:

This thread is :fire:

Could it be just it? A new firmware update to suntakt with digitakt sampling machines? That would make the digitakt not appealing at all and it would make sense to discontinue digitakt

But I don’t know how this is a good business strategy

1 Like

Lets imagine you could get a list of track´s for one track ,and could put random /interval on a track, so each other cycle, some sequence from the list would be picked. (Should be easy hahah)

Stand-alone random name generator

16 Likes

Diginame

1 Like

Diginamn*