What's next for Elektron?

I’m going by the TC GR-1 specs. 128 grains per voice and up to 1,000 grains in parallel :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:thumps up:

What I want it to be: a polyphonic keyboard sampler with expanded song mode
What it probably will be: a $200 iPhone dock that turns your phone into a 4-track chiptune synth :sad:

1 Like

We’re discussing Elektron here, not TE :joy:

10 Likes

I know, just feeling pessimistic… plus the Elektrons keep getting smaller

1 Like

Ha, Mokomo said the same here (and much more) in this dedicated thread:

Analog Keys Mkii

2 Likes

The interesting thing is that Elektron learned that sales are waaaay higher for more entry level pieces, and that simplification is rewarded. I hope that expands the budget for more experimental big boxes… imagine something surprising like the Octatrack was when it was originally revealed.

They have been hiring people with more visual programming skills, and so I imagine whatever is next will use a screen much more liberally.

My guess is that they are going to make a new sampler that does some of the stuff the Octatrack does (effects, looping, time-stretching), will drop some OT functionality (cue outs, multiple inputs, compact flash :yum:), have some new features (visual-heavy granular synthesis) and it will effectively be the replacement high-end sampler and they’ll discontinue the OT.

9 Likes

I had this same thought the other day. I would bet that the next big thing from elektron (whatever it may be) will likely have a bigger screen than we’re used to seeing. Looking at a lot of recent releases (MPC One/Live, polyend tracker, etc.), It seems that screens are here to stay for now. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if workflow improvements are realized.

That all being said, Elektron have done a great job fitting a lot of useful information onto small displays for years. :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Less is more… I prefer knobs and a small screen so I can use my ears instead of my eyes. I really hope Elektron machines will never use tactile screens. We don’t need an Akai clone.

7 Likes

I absolutely agree about not having a touch screen. I don’t think a bigger screen would hurt, as long as it didn’t sacrifice button and knob space.

3 Likes

It would be nice if you could record the Pitch and Mod Wheel from an external Keyboard or Controller in the Sequencer.

5 Likes

It’s kind of a bummer knowing that ess won’t be designing the next synth. I just have always seen dataline and ess as the main faces. Digitone was my entry way into the synth world.

That being said, I’m still optimistic for the future.

I hope that they don’t go down the standalone maschine route. I have a laptop, I don’t need an octatrack with WiFi capabilities

3 Likes

I very much wish Elektron would do a live performance mixer.
6 channels. Each with (from top to bottom) 2 endless rotary push encoders, a vertical slider, and finally a button.
The bottom section would have a crossfader with a button on each side.
The effects section would have 2 hardware potentiometers like the Performance control knobs.

The Elektron-ness of it would be the internal toolkit that allows you to design HOW you wanted the interface to work! You could do creative routing and channel grouping, assign LFOs and an envelope follower, record and playback real-time parameter automation, and sample loops for easy transitions to the next song.

6 Likes

I’d like to see an OT MKIII that has like a usb hub built into it that would allow automatic integration with other Elektron boxes. It could auto-detect, say an A4 and RTM when plugged in via USB, and not only have full midi support without manual setup, but preset info would be saved on the OT’s flash card. It would back up everything on every device onto your OT. From patches to sequences to samples.

It would be cool if all your sequencing info was saved on the OT for every device in a project as well. That way you wouldn’t have to save sequences on every device (can’t even tell you how often I’ll be working on a song or loop and forget to save on one of my devices) and it would all be saved in a tidy package. You’d just save on the OT and be done with it.

It would also be cool if you could get audio over USB, too… like Overbridge. Freeing up some inserts, cleaning up cable management, and saving you some ADC and DAC conversion on the digital devices like the Digitakt and Digitone.

8 Likes

Elektron will come out with a product called slå maskinen.
slå maskinen will be an hiphop production focused instrument with extremely lovely 4X4 set of pads, in addition to the familiar Elektron step triggers below the pads… both step triggers and pads will be velo sensitive.
the elektron sequencer will remain of course but will be extended, in addition it will have midi merge, sample layering on the pads, and recordable muting + song mode.

where the slå maskinen will differ to the mpc and every other instrument out there is that on top of the phenomenal elektron sequencer it will have and extremely forward thinking and exceptional chopshop with all of the standard features that are vital for a chop shop but that’s just the beginning, this chop shop will have sample editing and mangling features never before seen in a beat machine…

and yes it will have the control all feature but this time it will be recordable into the sequencer, it will have proper side chain capabilities, it will sample and play back stereo samples, it will have 4 gigs of ram, and at least 4 gigs of storage with the ability to connect with and use external ssd drives…

ground breaking as ever elektron will turn the idea of workflow itself into the slå maskinen’s main feature by giving it the thin form factor of the Model series, as well as the knob perfunction/ including the chance knob, and the slå maskinen will have at least 4 external audio outputs that can be configured as 4 mono, 2 stereo , or 4 stereo outs… Elektron will also make it so that it either has a great stereo send /return so that you can hook the slå maskinen up to pedals, FX boxes, other processors etc… and be able to effect, mangle , and sample til your heart is content…

why would they do this you might ask being that they are known for being a techno leaning Developer, the reason is simple, because they already have the majority of the r&d done and an instrument like this will allow them to fund all of the other ideas listed above in the thread… They are going to have a lot of success and make the company a lot stronger and add to electrons legacy and longevity through the development of this one project and the slå maskinen is going to be an instant classic.

6 Likes

so many details and even a name - this feels less like a prediction and more like a time traveller returning from the future to let us know what’s in store.

4 Likes

Lol okay, cool

How will Elektron be impacted by the recent departures (Ess, Troberg)?

Is Troberg Olle? What did Olle do? I remember he was a bit active here some time ago.

I think it will impact Elektron only if the remaining / new employees stop looking into this forum. So hopefully they keep going. As long as people like Cenk stay… and hopefully they bring out a mixer like the 1010 Bluebox

2 Likes