What would your favourite smallest possible setup be for an hour liveset?

Digitakt and 2 midi controllers. Definitely enough for a banging techno or chilly ambient set.

1 Like

Laptop, midi controller and a synced synth or groovebox

Thatā€™s assuming you donā€™t want to be limited by a single device. OT can be all you needā€¦

Actually Deluge could probably be it if you can live with the synth engine. Choices choices

Iā€™m 3 songs in to a legit awesome Syntakt only set. Iā€™ll use a midi controller, too, but for sounds, itā€™s all ST.

ā€¦ot and a micā€¦since agesā€¦

2 Likes

Different sure but not any less live. Orchestras arenā€™t performing live?

Digitakt + monotribe
Or
Digitakt + analog 4
Or
Digitakt + dfam (and some type of sync device)

1 Like

+1 on that. Gigged with Rockbands (Bass, Drums, Vocals) from early 90th up 2007. if you know the songs well, itā€™s a little bit like walking. You donā€™t have to think about it and even if you fuck up you pet a little bit, not many (even Bandmates) notice that. Itā€™s way less pressure on everyone than playing alone and being responsible for every single part.

3 Likes

Given my time constraints.

Lyra + Cosmos + MOOD

Maybe 45 minutes would be better.

OR

Produce an immediate live set on the M:S and M:C about a week before playing. Then jam out the immediacy live.

1 Like

What do you mean by ā€˜live performanceā€™?

A lot of people who consider themselves to play ā€˜liveā€™ DONā€™T play in front of an audience.

That is a huge difference.

When your job is to entertain people in a room for an hour, it changes how you have to present IMO.

Beyond that, if you are the focus of the audience in a room (like a band/artist) then thatā€™s a different proposition to not being the focus of the audience in a room (like a DJ) but still having to entertain them.

So thatā€™s 3 different categories of ā€˜live performanceā€™ that I would set up completely differently for.

But- laptop, Ableton, one or two controllers. :man_dancing:t2:

4 Likes

I like the point that people underestimate the difficulty of a live electronic performance.

But I donā€™t think itā€™s because itā€™s electronic. I think itā€™s because itā€™s solo.

If you are working with others, you have a net. Iā€™ve played in bands and done solo bass performances, and also performed with just an Octatrack. Also Live and a bunch of controllers. And Iā€™ve played a modular in band (and let me tell you, itā€™s really easy to fuck up playing a modular in a rock band which is why I switched to something with presets). For live performance with electronics, I have come around to simpler / more integrated is better.

2 Likes

Octatrack and M8, with two Faderfox ec4 controllers mapped to tracks on each. I could just use my Octatrack or the M8 solo, but it would be nice to have both for seamless transitions. I might also include my Norns on the cue output of my Octatrack for live looping and sound manipulation.

1 Like

I think for my next one Iā€™m going to try Tanzmaus + Circuit Mono Station + Biscuit.

And all this rock n roll band versus solo electronic is apples and oranges. Both equally valid and requiring equal commitment to be awesome.

Also apples and oranges but with one being somewhat less ā€˜validā€™ in my eyes is the playing in front of people versus not playing in front of people. All these ā€˜liveā€™ videos of somebody standing around alone in their house with their dumb succulents or action figures or legos or cat or coffee or whatever are stretching it a bit. I get that the take we see on youtube was done all at once with no edits and can therefore be technically referred to as ā€˜liveā€™. And it is of course perfectly okay to do this and Iā€™m way glad that people do. I enjoy the listening and sometimes I even learn things by watching their hands and listening to how the sound changes. BUT! How do I know that the video Iā€™m watching isnā€™t take number 150 and that the performer did not spend three full days on the first 149 takes? At an actual live show with people you get one take. Sink or swim. Itā€™s drastically different and as far as Iā€™m concerned (meaning how I want to live my own life, not I how I want you to live yours) the hanging out alone at oneā€™s house in front of a camera can never possibly compare to going somewhere that isnā€™t your house and making your music for whomever walks in the door to be there in the room (that isnā€™t your own room) with you.

1 Like

Love this thread.

I currently have two projects going: one is an instrumental guitar/bass/drums trio with some electronic ā€œflourishesā€ (bits of OP-1 and SP404MK2), and an ā€œavant electronicā€ trio (me with Syntakt and SP404MK2, another person with Digitakt and Digitone, a third with prepared guitar, Kaoss Pad, and iPad). All elements are mixed through a Pioneer DJ mixer in this case (except the guitar - goes into a Fender combo).

If I were doing a solo performance, Syntakt and the SP would be plenty.

3 Likes

Digitone alone or coupled with a SP-404MKII would be my choice. May be biased though, I absolutely love both!

5 Likes

Octatrack, without a doubt.

4 Likes

Digitakt + Faderfox UC4

4 Likes

laptop.

2 Likes

Yea DN + some kind of sampler would be great fun! I have found that I can capture the DN better and gain stage quite nicely by recording it in the DAW. The caveat being I would not be able to do live things other than manipulate a WAV while performing (which can be awesome but it is different). I guess it would depend on audience/mood as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

i perform 1h live sets with quadrantid swarm + dfam -> zen delay

you need a laaaate night crowd though these days that is willing to dance to this kinda dumb industrial bummbumm :rofl:

(sometimes i miss a bassdrum though, adding volca kick only kinda worked)

the last 10 years it was octatrack + a lilā€˜ faderfox + mic, that worked beautifully, can recommend
(one possible prob: you gotta stay sober to perform live with the OT)

1 Like

Relevant video from Oora today:

2 Likes