What software do you use to convert all your samples to 44.1khz 24bit wav when loading them up on the OT?

Hi there,

Idealy I’d like to find a software which can take as input the whole OT Audio and process all audio files recursively :

• Convert to 44.1khz
  • Convert to 24bit
  • Normalize to -1 dB
  • Overwritte files in place

I’m looking for a cross platform solution that can handle the whole 64GB OT Audio folder without breaking a sweat.

How do you guys do it ?

Regards,
David

Izotope Rx - batch processing
Ableton Live - freezing clips
Matlab - custom script

depending on the scenario

Izotop RX can process in batch ? Interesting !
Does it work with recursive directory import ?

Otherwise, I’m interested in your Matlab script :0

Rx can batch process and output to the same folder destination, however it will not overwrite the original, but appends a number if it finds a duplicate. You have to delete the original files by yourself.

I use matlab to translate dual channel to single channel files, because there is no program that can do such a thing… it‘s always custom code. I prefer Rx if circumstances apply

Ah that’s a shame really. I’d like to minimize any manual action as much as possible.

Does your Matlab script can overwrite files ?
I’m curious, why do you need to translate dual channel to single ?

Someone on here made this amazing website that’s well worth a look
https://digichain.brianbar.net/

3 Likes

Your operating systems folder allows you to sort those files accordingly. Then it‘s a bit of labor to go through the folder tree and delete those originals. It‘s reasonable time.

Otherwise if you like to use matlab, check out the audioread and audiowrite functions.
Script would be in this scheme:

Scan folder structure for .wav files
For every file:
Audioread
Audiowrite with new specs to original filepath

It would be just a few lines.
I used it to move my soundlibrary to my digitakt wich has only single channel file format and I wanted to keep track on the actual overall size of my library. I also appended some stereo files with a reversed and pitched up side portion at the end to keep the stereo information when necessary.

It doesn‘t work recursive though… but yes, great tool!

1 Like

A simple shell script using sox

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?context=topic&context_id=200568&q=Sox&skip_context=true

First hit there is for Windows users.

Doing it with a proper shell is even easier, other search results have examples.

1 Like

Audacity can be easily automated to resample multiple files at the same time.

If you drop folder structures, it does recurse them, and when doing just straight conversions, the folder structure is maintained in the output zip file.

Granted, on folders containing many nested files (there’s a default soft limit of 750 files that can be disabled in the settings), it can get bogged down as all the samples are stored in memory while it works on them.

There’s also the dual mono to mono auto-conversion in the settings when handling stereo files.

It’s not an in-place conversion though, so on large numbers of files, a command line tool like SoX is likely going to be faster.

1 Like

Nice one, Brian! :+1:

1 Like

I’m probably gonna go that road indeed

Writing the shell script is easy but getting it to execute on windows is not ><

Thanks for the link, there may be some useful tricks there

I use DSP Quattro on Mac for this kinda work. it has batch tools and flexible sample editing. The UI’s horrible and it might not respect folder structures (can’t remember).

I’m getting there :d

1 Like

…whenever u create/bounce sample chains in ur daw, just make sure that bounce is dithered to 44.1 k…

if u got already a messed up ot folder, with heaps of 48k, pick those, load them into the daw of ur choice and rebounce them properly…

wavosaur https://fr.wavosaur.com/

1 Like

Audacity can batch covert quickly

3 Likes

Reaper has batch exporting also.

1 Like

I do my conversions in Soundforge. While I don’t ever need to batch things, I know Soundforge has a scripting interface that can, apparently, do some sophisticated batch editing. I’ve just never found proper documentation.