What’s next for Ess / Fors?

You should have a .alp file and when you double click it live asks where to install it. Just choose some suitable location then you should be able to load it in live

1 Like

thank you for now its the os asking where to store it…I have live opened…will try later after work. appreciate.

1 Like

If you buy the device you have the option of downloading the install manual. That makes it real easy to install the devices in a proper way

But indeed installing max for live devices are a bit well… not so straight forward.

2 Likes

Make a folder called devices in your Live user folder, and move the .amxd files into it.

4 Likes

Here’s the guide we provide, for reference

m4l-install-guide.pdf (1.4 MB)

It’s indeed a bit annoying how Max for Live devices are handled – actually the whole preset system etc is a complete mess. But I think the above method is the one that will result in a pretty smooth experience overall.

9 Likes

true, even the browser makes me mad. For presets I mean

2 Likes

@YloopZ
@Habit_Reform
@tdmusic

thank you

1 Like

appreciate. thank you.

that seems to be the consistent hurdle for a lot of M4L devs. I’ve followed Kentaro for a while and he shares a lot of info about his process sometimes. his GUIs are amazing and he’s made a few of them into plug ins AU/VST3 etc and JUCE is the ‘mind field’ that people have to learn which apparently doesn’t have a lot of guide rails to show examples. there’s at least one generic template plug in interface for JUCE. i think Kentaro shared one somewhere but it’s just a bunch of pre-baked knobs to get people started.

certainly a hill to climb to figure it out and likely a big time investment… especially for the awesome and interesting GUIs like the ones you make!

2 Likes

@Ess Would it be possible (or worth it) to add randomization to Opal, similar to page randomization in Elektron devices? A one-click shortcut could potentially save a bit of time or provide early inspiration. I think it would be especially great for trigs/parameter locks/notes/etc since that would be harder to achieve by mapping in Ableton. Great work by the way! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Use Ableton Macros in a rack it can be randomized

2 Likes

I would think that mapping every ‘page’ of the sequencer would be a bit inefficient? Or do the mappings for parameter locks become the mappings for notes, etc?

Edit: Also, would you be able to separate velocity mappings from parameter locks when you’re randomizing, or would you nest the mappings somehow? Or would you click ‘exclude from randomization’ 16x?

I was thinking about this a bit today as someone else expressed a wish for it.

The pattern structure is programmatically generated so it wouldn’t be hard to generate random entries in it. It would however be challenging to make a random generator that would spit stuff out that’s actually useful.

I think I’ll give it a think/try at some point, could be a lot of fun – even though I’m personally not a fan of randomization at all, heh. :slight_smile:

Mapping to parameters like a regular device is not possible in Opal due to its inherent complex structure, so this feature would need to be a part of the device itself.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a non-random algorithm. I love the dynamic Euclidean algorithm in Jog. Not saying it’s needed for Opal, I just like saving clicks any way I can! :laughing:

I suppose that would only help with trigs though? Not sure if that would work well for parameter locks/notes/etc?

It is incredibly cool to be able to chat directly with the developer of a product you are using like this. Thanks, @Ess!

8 Likes

It’s ironic that @Ess is more active here than everyone working at Elektron combined.

11 Likes

I know this was just released, but I’m super excited for the nudge feature so I can sequence my drum samples using this device. Is there an ETA for the nudge update?

1 Like

For randomization, could you create an embedded data table of ‘nice’ settings where each entry is based on your best presets for each instrument? Then have a percentage slider (mutation) that then applies a random shift away from the parameter within that percentage range? So 0% would be the actual preset setting unchanged and 100% would be complete randomness applied. 10% would be a random shift within a range of +6/-6 (based on 0-127) ‘steps’ away from the preset setting. (Sorry, in my head it’s simple but trying to explain it makes it sound very complicated!) I think this is like NI Absynth’s mutation.

I’ve stayed clear of computers for music, mostly on the basis that mouse (or trackpad) heavy UIs for music just seem ‘wrong’ to me, not lending themselves to developing muscle memory habits.

Seeing this is making me think again.

Is this kind of thing (opal in particular) well-supported by keyboard shortcuts ?

1 Like

Likewise! I really enjoy chatting with y’all too. I think it’s great to be able to directly chat with people who use our stuff and I just generally enjoy the vibe here. :slight_smile:

To be fair I think it can be quite daunting to engage with a whole community as big as this one, especially if you don’t already have an established rapport. Everybody here is very nice to me, I’ve been active in here for a very long time and perhaps someone “new” commenting is under more scrutiny. Seeing as Elektron has had a big change of team members pretty recently, I think it’s fair if the engagement is a little more low key. :slight_smile:

(Also I think they engaged quite a bit when the Syntakt was released!)

That’s very nice to hear!

Unfortunately no – the custom UI stuff in Max doesn’t have access to the keyboard besides using modifiers when there are mouse events… I think it’s possible to hack together keyboard control, but from my brief experience with that it’s quite unreliable.

6 Likes