What’s it called when it sounds like Raggaeton, has a merengue riddim but is from Jamaica and in English?

I’m sorry, but I’m not prepared to help you with your personal needs, much less talk you out of them.

Good luck out there. Take care of yourself. If you need someone else to validate your perspective, I hope you find them.

1 Like

Rhythm is a dancer.

3 Likes

How serious are you when you say that?

1 Like

It’s a soul’s companion,
You can feel it everywhere.

4 Likes

I still wanna know what do you think merengue is and where do you hear it on that example you posted? Just curious.

Literally by looking up related artists. The video lists another one in it’s title. As several folks have mentioned, the music is called dancehall. Attributing an arbitrary name to it is not going to help you find “better music.”

1. Look up the production credits for a song you like.
  2. Investigate other artists the producer may have worked with.
  3. Profit.
1 Like

If would suffice if “perspective” wouldn’t be invalidated.

(Edited because flagged off topic)

Yep, will do.

(Sketch and transcription added later)

That’s what I thought and just wrote :face_with_raised_eyebrow:🥸:nerd_face::partying_face::roll_eyes:

Took a merengue rhythm,

http://www.mycongaplace.com/instrument/congas/rhythms/merengue2.php

Replaced the congas.

Finally put the first bar of the 2 bar pattern in a loop (end of file).

well that is roughly the Poco Jam/Dem Bow rhythm (which as I said actually appears in Soca and a number of other styles) but it is not the rhythm in the Spice track you posted

I think if there was a sub genre name it would be for something other than the style in the Spice track which is very much the central beat pattern/style for dancehall.

I suspect people generally find the other styles by putting “80s Dancehall” or “90s Dancehall” in to Spotify or whatever tbh!

90s dancehall is pretty similar tbh, usually just a bit more sparse as music tech/computers weren’t so prevelant/cheap.

2 Likes

more Poco Jam/Soca/Dem Bow from the 90s

more of the dotted 8th/dotted 8th/8th note beat:

3 Likes

I will listen again and see what lead to the impression. Already realized snares are on different position. Maybe I reacted to emphasis alone/feel/vibe. Thanks a lot!! :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, I think the tin cup/steel drum sort of patch over the top is kinda changing the feel a bit I grant you.

(and I’m just glad to hear someone talking about dancehall production, it’s pretty rare!)

5 Likes

I do think this is not a bad start:

1 Like

That’s not the gazoline vibe :slight_smile: but I have an idea how to get there from here :slight_smile:

Dottet 8s thanks a lot!

Only in America :wink:

1 Like

Do people treat them the same, in America?

The music inhabits quite different vibes over here in the UK. Roughly, the trance lot are all psychedelics, fractal patterns, marathon dancing sessions, and a degree of introspection. The Detroit (and -influenced) stuff rides back and forth on a road between ecstatic, disco/house-like celebration and gritty, gurning catharsis.

(caveat: I’m mid-40s and don’t go out as much as I used to. And when I do go out it’s usually to quite specific scenes that tend to hop genres anyway)

Oh I agree … it was a quick joke about how Americans call everything with a bass drum + synth “EDM”.

Back in the day, I unwittingly called everything Techno … but quickly changed my tune when living in the UK, it’s much more nuanced than that.

AKA … for trainspotters only :wink:

1 Like