What’s it called when it sounds like Raggaeton, has a merengue riddim but is from Jamaica and in English?

Interesting video - legit?

Yes, i’d like to have a name for it - (dancehall with this beat) and another one for: dancehall with the in my ears completely different beat :wink: Will come back with sound snippets to elaborate.

Siberian Dancehall Queen 2016 on YouTube - strange world… will watch Tallup - waistline to make unseen again :sweat_smile:

Contentious suggestion: for most genres, it’s the scene, its people, their vibes and intents that make it, more than the details of the music.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what my remark about Siberian dancehall queen was about. Nevertheless, if things differ structurally they deserve different names :wink: Think of all the steps (2-step, dub step, door step), different sub genres like Miami Bass, crank etc.

And one can certainly sort fruits and vegetables by different categories

• size
  • shape
  • color
  • taste
  • fruits/vegetables
  • European, American etc. (origin)
  • preferred climate

Even apples are distinguished and some people are very picky about the sort, especially if they don’t pick them themselves :wink:

:wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think you should go to Jamaica and tell them they need to rename Dancehall :wink:

More seriously - whatever the other beat you think of as dancehall is, it is probably less dancehall than the beat on that Spice record, which is pretty much the most central rhythm from the 90s to now. Agree with the comment above that dancehall is very much a cultural movement/language type thing too, so there are things that link quite disparate records that aren’t just musical.

Also: A Tribe Called Quest and 21 Savage (or whatever) are both still hip hop, but they also sound totally different.

That video seems about it, yeah. Except they definitely don’t know how dancehall started, or when or what a polyrhythm is :wink:

2 Likes

So I have always wondered, how do you program the most famous boom boom dancehall on a sequencer? I have tried and tried, and gotten close, but feel I’m missing something.

Nice. First time I’ve properly listened to that. The music, the arrangement and the mix are wonderful. Just as great as Nina’s voice and words.

1 Like

You think? :thinking::face_with_monocle: Well, I still didn’t fully recover from obviously having/being lectured (by) Blake Baxter over the question if a name of a city might denote a style of music that originated there or if it is rather a protected name in the sense of the origin of product rulings (like it’s only Champagne if produced in the champagne area - everything else is sparkling wine). Still embarrassing. I might still think that it would be better not to be too strict with the local thing (how would one hashtag a Miami Bass track from the one single producer in a village far far away) but I understood it was important to others so no more Detroit Techno from Berlin, Heidelberg, Altenburg and Hintertupfingen :wink:

:wink::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Surely it’s fine - you just call it “Detroit-y” or “Detroit-ish” techno. Or “I can’t believe it’s not Detroit Techno” :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

As @the_duckchild keeps helpfully offering, it’s simply called Dancehall. Yes, just Dancehall.

It’s different from the Dancehall I listened to in the 80s, which is different from the Dancehall I listened to in the 90s, and in this century, and so on.

Just like with ‘techno’, the need to put a micro-micro-sub-genre name to it has nothing to do with the music itself. It’s just a thought exercise. And people don’t dance to thought exercises.

Did not reject it at all. The question was if there was a subgenre with a name.

Free free to make one up. Maybe it’ll catch on?

Some people have sensational experiences only with subsubsub genres or if there’s certain elements to it - and dance only to it :wink: and want to find it easier. Like DHR.

Music is math. Some people see color when hearing, some feel the ratios - rhythm is harmony

1 Like

Music, to a certain extant can be expressed in math. But thank goodness it’s also more than math. That’s why they call it music.

But seriously though. As an old person, my advice is to not to look to others for genre names. There is no central authority. The closest we ever had to one was based on dead print media. And they gave us bullshit names like ‘shoegaze’. We, the tiny dancers in our bedrooms can do so much better. So make your own up.

1 Like

How old are you then? I don’t want to be talked out of my personal needs. If somebody chases the perfect 303 clone for very subtle tonality - that’s ok. If people pay lots of money for a MPC-60 or Akai-612 - that’s ok. We have dissected other genres of music much further - with some benefit for finding tracks quicker.
If the answer to the question is: “no, there isn’t - yet” then it is that way. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be useful for some.

How is that supposed to find music better in the internet/YouTube/Spotify?