What other hardware sequencers let you independently change track patterns like Squarp Pyramid?

In case I didn’t explain that well in the title… I am curious about sequencers that will let me switch the pattern of a single track without affecting any other tracks in the overall pattern. The idea is that I could then mix and match the bass from one song, then lead from another, etc all on the fly.

I know the Squarp can do this, but what else can? Can the Octatrack do it? or another company?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Octatrack can. Set tracks to plays free mode, then you can start/stop tracks individually.

2 Likes

Awesome!! Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you enable plays free for a track, the track gets disconnected from the sequencer.
So when you press play/stop all other tracks start/stop, the ones that have plays free enabled have to be manually triggered/stopped.
You can use the trig buttons or press [Track] + [Play] / [Stop].
There is also quanitization for triggering plays free tracks and different trig modes

I don’t know how it works on the Pyramid, though.

2 Likes

I think they’re saying to change pattern for each track individually though, can the octatrack do that? Would be interesting, I’d like to try the pyramid at some point

3 Likes

Uh, sorry. Misread the question. OT only let you start/stop tracks individually.

Using several midi tracks to control OTs audio tracks as workaround would kinda let you do that (Mute/unmute midi tracks to change to a new “pattern”), but not the same.

Oh right I thought I was sleeping in a feature. Never really touched plays free so I wasn’t sure, should have a go

1 Like

Toraiz Squid.
Cirklon.

2 Likes

MC-707 ! :smiley:

1 Like

Akai Force

Yamaha rs7000 and rm1x do this.

Also the Megacommand lets you do this on the machinedrum plus 4 additional midi tracks

3 Likes

The Synthstrom Deluge can do this.

1 Like

Keep’em comin’ ! :smiley:

MC-505 does it but can’t remember the terminology from Roland.

1 Like

U sure about that ? When I had a 505 back in the late 90’s I remember having parts from previous patterns in the next to assure seamless transitions but I can’t rememeber an option to get one track from another pattern to replace one track in the active track apart from a copy/paste operation which involved getting out of current patt, copy track of the new patt and get back to the previous, paste. A trick I missed ? Old memories for sure I may have forgotten…

1 Like

Yeah there was a mode where the fader of each track could index the patterns so you could effectively remix the parts from different patterns.
I think it’s probably best left as a memory anyways :laughing:

1 Like

Damn’, that rang a bell somewhere in my memory…Sort of remix mode !..Yes…Never used it actually ! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Beatstep Pro is another to add to your list.

2 Likes

The famous megamix mode !

1 Like

The caveat was you were limited to how many patterns away from the original you could stray, about 25-30 in either direction I think. Possibly. Or more. Or less :roll_eyes::grin: