What next in my arsenal? Granular?

@vvilms thanks for the review, much appreciated and gives the GR-1 it’s flavour.

Not ready to do that yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Still relying on DAW and soft synths/effects.

Unknown but will indeed look at it.

That gives a wide array of MOD.
Though less is more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Another option…
Really trying to limit the use of laptop, another OS to be worried about… Will have a look, but that’s an iPad to buy now…

Will check these as well.

Though my heart says GR-1…

1 Like

I get that but it doesn´t have to be the latest & greatest model. An entry level iPad will already work and will probably be cheaper than the GR-1. Not trying to talk you into it but the amount of possibilities it offers are quite amazing. I really dislike working on a computer for music but with the iPad it´s actually fun, especially with apps like Borderlands which are made specifically for the iPad and not just ported to it from other platforms. Samplr is also nice and offers a completely different form of interaction with the sound.

True

Sure, analysis paralysis can be a thing, but I’d say there’s a direct correlation between a mod source list/ slot count and a device’s capacity for expression. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am currently waiting for Morphagene and Arhbar for my setup. Want to go deep into eurorack’s granular side.

4 Likes

Instruo Arbhar looks really good.

1 Like

Bumping…
Have decided to go for it :slight_smile: GR-1 it will be…
Now trying to locate one second hand…

If I had the setup as you have currently, my first priority would be to get a solid analog mono. Something like an AS-1, Sirin, Microvolt, along those lines.
Then as recommended above I would pick up a $300 iPad and go to town on granular apps. Borderlands and Tardigrain are ones I can vouch for, but more are being added all the time. Also definitely get Fieldscaper, the craziest sample manipulation app ever.

iDensity is also incredibly good. ApeSoft Apps in general are very useful for sounddesign even though the UI is far from intuitive and might be considered „ugly“ by some. But what comes out of the speakers is worth the hassle.

@DonovanDwyer and @sndrsklr
Thanks for your valuable inputs…
Though I would rather stay away from iPad as much as possible. I am aiming at as less DAW involved process as possible. One laptop screen is enough for me at the moment :slight_smile: I understand the reason behind the reasoning.
I would rather go this route :slight_smile:
AS-1 is on my list also for exactly what you are describing it (mono) @DonovanDwyer

1 Like

If you were going the Eurorack route I would have suggested considering adding an iPad later. The miRack app supports Expert Sleepers modules for integration w/ physical Eurorack. miRack would let you add tons of virtual modules to your physical Eurorack at a tiny fraction of the cost of physical modules.

Thank you for adding options to the process.
Not ready for Eurorack yet…
Though I realise by looking at it at the moment that the iPad option is vast… And not only for granular/sample mangling.
As I see it, I would rather get a GR-1 second hand and sell it later if it actually does not fit rather than an iPad, which will be used for a million other things as well… As I mentioned, I would like to stay away from screens and LCDs as much as possible.
I do not have a TV at home but I realize the hours spent in front of these on a daily basis. Less is better in that case. For me :slightly_smiling_face:

I would never advocate using only an iPad or laptop as a complete replacement to hardware - only as a complement to hardware.

fwiw

1 Like

Touchscreens are made for granular synthesis!
Touch the waveform. Feels so good.

3 Likes

@GovernorSilver
Point taken.
I was not in any case planning to replace HW by only laptop or iPad.

1 Like

Looks enticing indeed

Arsenal? Like weapons?

Like musical weapons of choice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Interesting analogy…

1 Like

I have a good number of granular plugins and iOS apps. But I’ve gotta say, I love my Microgranny. It just oozes character. And I really like the bitcrush on it. It doesn’t have all the features that a plugin would have but I can sit for hours on the couch messing with it. I especially like the setting shift speed (i.e., speed at which a grain travels through the sample) to a little above zero so that it moves through the sample but not too fast. That combined with the bit crush is great to listen to the way the grain changes sounds. It might not be the most useful workhorse for granular but for me it’s one of the most inspiring. I would love to try the Tasty Chips device but that is way out of my budget.

2 Likes