What makes a truly great piece of studio gear?

Obvious answers include excellent sound, good reliable hardware design that will last, beautiful presentation, and innovative programming/interface features. I also like to think that a truly excellent piece of studio equipment is one that can multiply the possibilities of other gear whether that be via direct audio processing, MIDI or other similar logical control. Can you add to these ideas?

1 Like

Simplicity. At its best: one control per function, so you have not to remember how to operate it. That’s especially helpful when pieces pile up and you don’t use all of them on a daily base.

5 Likes

Thank you tnussb… that’s a quality musicians appreciate when jamming new sounds on complex machines. Menu diving can be a creativity killer when there’s a good tune on the go with friends. Sounds like you have a lot of gear.

Opening this thread more to stimulate conversation: Are there machines that you Elektronauts really appreciate from the past or present for certain unique qualities, features, sound, whatever… the ones that really keep you coming back with ideas over time? For me it’s the Nord Wave, Nord Lead 3 and currently the Digitakt which inspire. I appreciate simple, powerful interfaces that take me further as I learn more but don’t hold me back when I don’t have much time or energy in the evenings after work. MPC Live too for immediate results.

Btw I’m an IT guy and don’t work in the music industry, just interested in the topic.

User interface is hugely important
Nord lead 3 is the best hardware interface ever conceived imo

3 Likes

Agreed! Sometimes criticized for aliasing but it’s just part of the sound character and I love it. Pretty sure those LED collars were a synthesizer innovation first some years ago. It’s a beautiful unit to interact with and new sounds are quick to find. Perhaps Nord might surprise us all again when they get tired of… pianos.

1 Like

I would say … equipment, which

• we really need to get our job done without hassle, day by day,
  • allows easy operation and to do even complex tasks without a headache,
  • becomes an extension of our ideas and body without thinking about it,
  • we allways love to come back to and use it regularily,
2 Likes
  • elegant and timeless circuit design / engineering
  • not skimping on component quality
  • excellent power supply with insane rail voltages
  • transformers!
  • XLR differentially balanced I/O
  • great UI
  • If MIDI-enabled, as comprehensive MIDI implementation as possible
  • Realistic, somewhat compac form factor which suits the design
  • Realistic pricing as to not be unobtanium
  • Robustness and ease of maintenance (spare part etc availability)
2 Likes

Usability, satisfaction, build quality, sound quality.

1 Like

I don’t think the answer is the same for everybody because we’re all wired differently…
A great piece of studio gear is one that the individual user gets along with really well in their studio…

1 Like