What is your favourite sequencer inside Ableton Live?

Delving a bit deeper into Live 11 (and eventually 12) these days, and I was curious: what kind of sequencers are your favourites in Live and why? Third party plugin, M4L or stock, as long as it isn’t external hardware or ipad.

1 Like

Two favorites (both M4L) that come to mind: Sting, an acid bassline generator thing that I use to get interesting drum patterns going and Probability Arp, more traditional sequencer/arp that has a lot of nice features

6 Likes

Hy-Seq32 is great for techno

1 Like

lots of nice stuff recommended here, alongside with my all time favorite Stepic, which is also great to sequence hardware and has other really cool features… another really cool one is MDD_Snake, which is free and crazy sequencer :slight_smile:

oh and btw, I’m not sure but I think Opal can sequence other stuff? maybe I’m wrong, anyway I think the Fors stuff really worth taking a look, the demos of their stuff is top notch

5 Likes

Yes, Opal can sequence as many tracks as you like (one instance per track). It’s fantastic to use.
Thanks for reminding me about Opal. I’ve been fishing around for some decent FM drum and perc sounds & forgot I have it.

1 Like

Yeah, rediscovered Opal too yesterday. It is a world on its own.

1 Like

Reason rack plugin (redrum and various players) is my favorite sequencer within live.

2 Likes

I used to love MDD__SNAKE

3 Likes

Cool, @alechko also seems to be a big fan.

Looks a bit like the Make Noise René. Or is it totally different?

ah yeh, didn’t see it had already been mentioned

tbh im not a modular person so wouldn’t be able to comment, tho I remember reading other people comparing it to a modular approach to sequencing, so maybe? trigs, pitch, velocity etc are all triggering independent patterns, which can be different lengths, different directions etc etc, so its great for generating syncopated, non-repeating patterns. I only stopped using it as for some reason it didn’t work so well with Live 11 and became a bit unreliable (but was solid when I was using v10). Ive ended up making a few sequencers in Max myself that kind of take some if its principles, as it really suits what im interested in by a sequencer

1 Like

really? what were the issues? I play a lot with it and it’s always solid on my Live 11… the only bug it has that you have to click on a different menu to access the Notes tab, but that’s minor thing…

1 Like

Its been a few years since I last used it so I can’t remember clearly, but I seem to remember UI issues, like not being able to scroll through all the different ‘snake’ shapes properly, but more crucially not all of the selected ‘snake’ shapes were being implemented- so the sequencer would stay stuck in the default shape even if other ones were selected. And also the sequencer would sometimes stick to only cycling through a limited amount of steps (like 4 steps or something) despite whatever the selected step length was, and even at the default 16 step length. Kept happening even after re-installing, and installing earlier versions etc. Ended up just giving up and moving on. Was no biggie, it was free after all. I think the last update to snake was in 2020, which predates Live 11, so I just assumed it was something to do with that, or something to do with my updated version of Max. idk, good to know it works for you tho!

1 Like

I was always interested in Euclidean until it looks like that one got rolled into 12, so looking forward to playing with that. And as you say @Hooger - one bugbear with Live for a time has been the lack of a sequencer. But in a way, if the piano roll has gone fully generative (looks like it will spit out variants quite easily) that might be the answer to the no sequncer setup. Speaking of built in stuff - always worth combining Arp with Random as well.

I have enjoyed messing with a couple of M4L ones also. In particular, I find putting Sting before a drum rack full of random noises comes up with some fun ideas. And good old Rozzer is still good for melodic stuff, or Aicid or just the standard Step Sequencer device - I tend to use these for arps and other in-key melodic elements alongside other ideas.

I have just started looking again at probability pack also. Melodic probability is quite fun.

3 Likes

Probability Pack | Ableton this is mandatory

3 Likes

I really dislike sequencing with a mouse. I used to love it years ago but I’m so used to hardware now it feels alien.

but opal-ctl is my favourite sequencer in live for sure. wish it could be mapped to a controller.

2 Likes

If it could work with the Push, like how some of the Probability Pack sequencers work with the pad grid, it would be amazing.

1 Like

I use the touchpad of my mac :wink:, but when this Ableton fling turns into a real love affair, I will be looking for some kind of controller too. Mainly rotary knobs/pads.

SEQUND is fun:

As previously mentioned, Opal is great:

So is Roulette:

I’m a fan of the sequencer in Pigments too:

2 Likes

Do you use it to sequence lots of other stuff in Live?

This one is nice, but I wouldn’t say the concept is done for me personally, I wish it had banks because it’s a bit harder to program. Autonomia version 0.5.1 by ntrm on maxforlive.com

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5988/turing-machine

1 Like