What is TouchDesigner?

I’ve heard it’s like Max. But for graphics? And the M8 Tracker uses it for an external display. And now it integrates with Bitwig.

But for the life of me I still don’t know what it is or why I’d use it (though I’m very interested in learning!)

It seems like it’s a codeless development environment (like Max) for shaders and stuff. So maybe good for making AV effects that go along with your music? But that doesn’t seem to jibe with anything going on in the M8. And this video is about making buttons that you can use in Bitwig via OSC? So that’s a thing, too?

Every search I make is either trying to teach me how to use it, or show an example of something made with it in some way. But seriously. Just WTF is it already?

I was too embarrassed to ask! Glad it’s not just me!

1 Like

Don’t be embarrassed. Like, their about page says it’s for VR support, realtime 3d compositing, projection mapping, application building, interoperability, high performance media systems, lighting and live shows, and extensibility.

So if we’re confused… I don’t think it’s on us? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a node based real-time graphics environment that connects to lots of different protocols.

3 Likes

Okay. I mean, that’s exactly the kind of answer I’m seeing on their website and stuff, so I believe you.

But, like what does that do? Why is that good?

Like, “I had this huge problem where something something, but then I used TouchDesigner, and now something, something.”

So is it hardware or just a program that runs on windows?

It’s fucking amazeballs really. Built by mad scientists for other mad scientists. Yes, you could use it for video installations, synced real time effects and video elements that are clocked to your music, etc. It’s software that runs on Win or OSX.

2 Likes

It’s also a modular erotic system.

5 Likes

It’s a node-based graphical/visual programming language. It’s mostly used for multimedia applications.

What is does depends on what you make it do! Kind of like asking “what’s Python, what does it do?” – well, not quite like that, because Python is totally general purpose, but maybe you know what I mean.

2 Likes

Sounds like a pure data/supercollider type thing for coding visual experiences

1 Like

Windows and MacOS, no Linux.

From the tutorials I’ve started to watch, the interface reminds me of Reaktor core for video… only with each node having a more visual representation to it.

When you double click on the nodes you go inside of it. Instead of starting with just sound you can start with shapes or txt, or video. Then I think you add nodes to modify the node before it, like an effect. Looking forward to Bitwig nodes, or being able to modulate the modifiers with BW.

1 Like

Art of Code has so many brilliant videos exploring it.

oh shit thats shadertoy, thought it was touchdesigner

2 Likes

Yes! This is a very important question! Because I wouldn’t fire up Max to make a filesystem or do DSP in java. What languages do is an extremely important part of understanding what they are and when to use them. If TouchDesigner is just a graphical python, I’ll stick to python. But from the excitement around it, I gather it does something differently. What is it?

You mention, for example, that it’s used mostly for multimedia applications. Why is that? Is it particularly well suited to that? What does multimedia mean in this context? Does it route audio? Process audio? DSP? Video? Do I paint with it? Sculpt? Can it work in clay? Oils?

If someone asked me to explain Max I’d say “It’s a programing environment originally for rapidly prototyping musical ideas with MIDI that has, over the years, been expanded to be very capable at DSP, generated graphics, and now has an embedded version running in Live such that whole plugins can be designed in it.” If someone asked why they would want to use it, I’d say “if you want to focus on routing, processing, and trigging audio in generative or programatic ways without having to build all the tricky realtime dependencies that entails, the Max environment has that all set up for you, lets you manipulate it with an elegant visual programming language, and deploy the results seamlessly in Live.”

Why is it so hard to give a similar definition for TouchDesigner? Is it just more broad than that? Can it really be used for much more? Is it more similar to python in this respect than I am giving it credit for?

This is video kind of crazy. I think this may be a simple way, but the results….

4 Likes

Hey I just met you
And this seems crazy
But here’s my interface
So tweak me maybe

[Edit: doesn’t scan, I suspect, but I only heard the original song a couple of times, long ago…]

3 Likes

I really do appreciate everyone taking a crack at this. Please keep your explanations coming! But also just look at these home pages:

Supercollider

Damn! That’s concise!

Pure Data

More About Pure Data

Pd enables musicians, visual artists, performers, researchers, and developers to create software graphically without writing lines of code. Pd can be used to process and generate sound, video, 2D/3D graphics, and interface sensors, input devices, and MIDI. Pd can easily work over local and remote networks to integrate wearable technology, motor systems, lighting rigs, and other equipment. It is suitable for learning basic multimedia processing and visual programming methods as well as for realizing complex systems for large-scale projects.

Pretty wordy, but I get the idea.

Max

The first thing you see of Max is an entire page dedicated to answering the question “What Is Max?” With bunches of use cases, examples, and even live interactive widgets! Hot damn! I want to dive back into it right now instead of researching this other stuff.

TouchDesigner

I’m pretty sure it’s for projecting video on buildings. That’s what these have in common, right? Video? But for large buildings?

1 Like

Just because the streams were ace and I used to hang out in them, In know that the Dandi Does It peeps built almost all of their stuff in TouchDesigner and it was a lot.

I’m sure there used to be a couple of videos about their setup but I can’t seem to find them. Dandi had a bairn so not sure if/when they’ll be back on the streams.

Everyone goes about things differently, but whenever I’m interested in a new programming language, I usually look into some basic syntax and skim through its list of types. You can glean a lot by doing that.

Since this isn’t a transitional programming language, and it’s “node-based”, syntax is graphical and the types aren’t really exposed to the user, but you can probably learn a lot about it by reading through the list of nodes, to see what can be done:

It looks like they call nodes “operators”.

There are also python classes related to the operators:

I would probably read through those.

Basically, if there’s only BS marketing info on the website, just go straight to the docs/manual. You’ll probably get something concrete right away.

If you know Max, you’ve likely encountered Jitter, which you would know is for real-time manipulation and display of visual forms. Imagine a piece of software dedicated to just that. Same nose-based interface. It can handle a bunch of different inputs like midi, osc, other data formats, video, audio; and is good for real-time audio visual outputs particularly projection mapping, audio/data-reactive visuals, and even AR/VR now (maybe).

3 Likes