What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

Finding that this is pertinent to everything, but for me, especially drums

1 Like

You tell me, I keep slimming down my gear to just add something that makes me bloated and unproductive. But I now learned, or am learning, the signs of a stayer…

2 Likes

Yes same! For about the last three years. Result is zero finished music. I wish I’d stuck with just 1-2 hardware boxes in the first place. I find it much harder to sell than have never had!

Having said that, I haven’t touched anything except OT, Rytm & 303 in the past week. Today it was only Rytm. Just gotta stick to it and not get sidetracked by the interweb :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One thing that could help is to get a writing partner.

2 Likes

Gladly, how does one acquire such a resource?

“You have to scream for a long time for people to be able to appreciate the silence” FM Einheit

4 Likes

This one is like the Book of Job for me. Depressing at first, but ultimately inspirational.

Music has only 16 notes(not counting microtuning) any brave, grand idea that you want to present has probably already been done. Musically. But it hasn’t been done by you.

I was stupid/young enough to believe that I could turn the page of music to some new, bug-brain mastermind of music- so much that it depressed me for a bit.

But it’s actually inspirational. It’s a testament to the soul that lives within music. The bits of ourselves, at the present time, we inject into our music- just by merely creating it. The sentiment we put in is the fingerprint that identifies and resonates with listener.

Who HASN’T done a G-C song? The most trite harmonic structure. But people still like it despite its lack of originality.

I think the notion of elemenating the possibility of doing something “new” knocks out the pretentious angle of music making and is an invitation of authenticity

Which invites the wisdom of The Book of Ecclesiastes"

3 Likes

Me? Maybe it’s obvious just by its name, but in any case, for the musically-illiterate of us, what is a G-C song?

Probably related: the best advice I ever got was, “learn some chords”, and “think about structure”. :laughing: I’ve ignored it for a long time.

Edit: I did my research and wound up listening to The Beatles. I have not consciously done this. But maybe I should.

3 Likes

I dont know, ask a friend or put up a note on your grocery store? I find it easy to form bands, always form a new one when I’m drinking with my friends.

someone told me to give up once…starting to think that was sound advice.
I haven’t yet tho. I keep trying.

@Ryan I had that with “art” drawing/painting. thought I could do something new…heh
this could apply to music…as it is art. BUT my teacher told me its all been done, someone will tell you this looks like that or that. disregard those people, keep doing what you’re doing. the art comes from what you’ve experienced, things you’ve seen, heard…they are in you. you can’t be anything that who you are. just keep doing.

so I keep doing music.
it still sucks tho

3 Likes

LOL! The same band that brought you “A Day in the Life”(its great you should hear it) are not above a good old-fashioned G-C song.

Honestly, I haven’t either- because I’ve always been too pretentious to do so. “Muuuuh I’m so smart I can use 3, 4, 5 chords in a song”

1 Like

Haha! I only hope to one day be that smart.

gets back to work

Maybe one day I’ll understand what is so great about that band. :wink:

1 Like

I cant stand them…BUT the shit they do is amazing.
I mean WHO HARD PANS THE WHOLE DRUM KIT?! it sounds GREAT. A Day in the Life as suggested by @Ryan

also check…I hate this song…but is SO AMAZING. WTF

so good! [even tho I cant stand em] :slight_smile: the tracks that hit…hit like a spiked bat tho.

3 Likes

Compared to some of the works on this forum- by modern standards they’re overrated(they didn’t even make electronic music- cringe bro)

But I can see how, in the time, they were the bee’s knees)

But even the Beatles wildest songs…I mean, people were doing acid…the boundries were going to be expanded one way or another. I suppose The Beatles made experimental more palatable

2 Likes

I’m a die-hard hipster when it comes to The Beatles (and Radiohead).

These are influential musics. I’m the cringe bro!

1 Like

That music video…its kinda groundbreaking…

It’s like they invented the ground work for musicians that take themselves too seriously. It still has a bit of charm to it, but that video still has the elements that can be seen today by artists that just think they’re the most genius artists alive(ie: me 10 years ago)

However that’s the earliest song I’ve heard with reversed audio- maybe it’s just technologic convenience of the modern day vs working with tape, but how was reversed audio not revered by all?

Reversed audio is just the greatest

2 Likes

Never give up on music !!!

1 Like

not the Beatles. Up to this point they were only working on the mono mixes. They didn’t care for the stereo mixes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea this x1000, I’ve fallen down the trap many times of thinking if I just get one more piece of gear and I get everything hooked up with MIDI etc. it’ll be amazing, but I’m coming to realise that actually I have the most fun and am most productive with one (Elektron) box on the sofa.

For me I think it’s a time thing, I don’t have that much time dedicated to making music and in a more complex setup a. there is so much to learn and b. a simple issue like a dodgy MIDI setup can ruin a whole session. Also there’s always the temptation to move stuff around etc. rather than actually make music!

I’m now treating my gear collection as a library of stuff that I pull something out of and use on its own, it’s still nice to have a number of options in the library but TBH if I could go back a few years, I think I’d just buy an ARmk2 and master that!

2 Likes

Well StrawbFields the kit is in my right can only

2 Likes