What is "Elektron magic" to you?

The magic for me is that I can’t even look at my DT without wanting to use it. I love that with a flick of a switch I can have my track ready exactly as I left it the night before, or I can start from scratch immediately.

The magic came in it’s limits, and it’s ways of working around them. It’s such a fun, functional, and powerful box. It changed how I think about music and how I make it.

I always say that the OT is my magic box, so this is perfect :grinning:

1 Like

thanks, will do!

1 Like

download

17 Likes

where is this screenshot from?

Fathers or magicians? :slight_smile:

It makes money disappear :slight_smile:

5 Likes

2 ARs

Its from an offical rytm OS release video. Which ever one has the impulse machine.

2 Likes

swing trigs?

yeah, you know you can set the swung trig positions yourself? Whenever you adjust swing in OT, MD, A4 or AR, every other trig is lit in the sequencer? You can actually determine which, if any steps, are actually swung or not by the global swing amount…

This allows you to do stuff like “negative shuffle” (ie. every odd trig is swung instead of every even trig) or to remove swing entirely from some tracks and not others (swing trigs are definable per-track, just switch track while in swing mode to select which tracks swing trigs you want to edit). Great stuff!

5 Likes

didnt know that

Rytm mk1 is the closest thing to magic for me. My favorite Elektron box by light years.
A4 is “ok”, Heat is my “I paid so much for this, I have to use it somehow” box.
All the rest Elektron boxes I am less interested in, getting less and less interested with every new box that comes out.

To me the “elektron magic” lies between MD,MnM and OT…So it seems long gone…
It seems,the newer boxes are just not forward thinking anymore and probably targeted to a very different audience…

Not digging that NanoDigiTeennageMicroVolcaO-Model-Z trend…Different things for different people…

2 Likes

For me as a bloody amateur, the magic is that Elektron boxes finally enable me to actually make tracks or jam out ideas all by myself. And make it fun. This is something that Ableton or other instruments have never been able to empower me to. I always got frustrated by recording and quantising issues (Ableton) or stuck on arps and one pattern sequences (synths like Minilogue or Microkorg). Elektron boxes make it fun to explore this.

And on the way, they teach you a lot about sound design and synthesis just by playing and tweaking. I am still a bloody amateur, but I have learned more things in one year with various Elektron boxes than with anything else over the last ten years. And they made me invest more time and effort into making music than ever before, which is probably the greatest gift. Before the pandemic, I was always making music in a more band-like context, where I saw myself as a singer predominantly, played synths only as a bonus and never cared to dig into different effects, wiring stuff etc. Frankly, I don’t know if I would even still make music if it were not for Elektron boxes. Now I am making more than ever before, although I miss playing with others as well.

3 Likes

As many have said on here, the magic is in the sequencer - p-locks, conditional trigs, per-track scales. It’s still the one thing they do so much better than anyone else I can think of.

I had a great time with my MD but the more capable sequencer of the A4 onwards was where it all came together for me. I feel the different boxes - DT, DN, A4, AR all cater for a different preference in sound palette but offer broadly similar usability… which is still down to that sequencer.

Elektron understands that a tool is more than a combination of its parts.
Magic - tight and musical integration of all components, presented in a self contained unit, that can be a building block for a scalable setup.

Sequencer integration into sound engine is the most visible example.
And its easy to forget that every detail, to the core of file management and hardware build, is designed around idea of seamless connection.

This is what DN made me feel, and i hope they continue to work in that direction.

6 Likes