What is Assign to Self used for?

I was always under the impression that this should be it’s main benefit (preload recording buffers with content), because it links the buffer to a specific file on the CF card. Isn’t it?

Thats why I’m posting this but search the forum for it an see if you can find it, I couldn’t…
I swear someone at least once mentioned in the past few months though. Been asked much more than just in this thread, but not answered…

2 Likes

Yes. You can also load a sample in the recording buffer. Good for pre-slices stuff or eventually to get a very precise tempo (sample precision), with a Pickup as master sync. I didn’t try, should work.

When you record again, it keeps the loaded or assign to self name.

I prefer to assign to Flex short or sliced files or to Static for long files (obviously).

An advantage of Self is that it can be saved and still played in live conditions, without assignments to do.
For another live session, it also can be a back up if you can’t play again as you’d like : you can record over it, and reload it if your not happy with a recording ruining your live.

5 Likes

It just seems obvious now but often missed. Folks have often asked about keeping the buffers after power cycle…
-Save all recordings
-Assign to Self
–Done

4 Likes

Save all recordings is enough, assigned to self anyway. I’d like to have to choice btw. :wink:

1 Like

I forgot about that… Choice would be nice but without it less steps.

So basically “Save all Recordings” is keep your buffers loaded after power cycle, I might star using this… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Still the naming steps…and an naming problem if you saved all the same day IIRC.

Hmmm… I think I’ll just name them R1, R2, etc… Just tested and it only asks for buffers with content.
Named simply as R1, etc., I’ll just have to press yes a few times…

There are some times I’d like to power down and be back where I was upon power up. I don’t save samples as a looper, I just record new loops over and over. There have been times I’d at least want to keep the current ones a little longer until I replace them, I never bothered saving and loading them again as it just was too many steps. I’d just let them go and start over every time. This will come in handy for me…

Yes but if you already did it the same day you have to rename IIRC…
Workaround : record once a day. :content:

I just tested, works perfectly for my uses… (Except a bunch of yes presses, but not too bad)

I don’t want to permanently save the buffers, I just might want them a little bit longer in case I need to power down for a bit and I really like what’s happening. Saved as R1, R2, after you “save all recordings” the same names “RX” come up and I just press yes and yes to overwrite the samples…

I record loops into the buffers all day long and replace them, live improv looping. If I saved them I’d have piles of thousands of them that I’d never get back too… For me this is a workaround for the buffers not being held in RAM after power cycle, not for actually saving permanantly.

3 Likes

Yes, that the thing, same name > overwrite.
So I guess if you want to keep the sample, save and assign to a flex / static is the safest…

I wouldn’t even call this a workaround, but an intended use case. It’s quite useful to keep the content of the buffers filled with the latest (temporary) recordings, so you can continue wherever you left before the shutdown/power off. Generic names like R1-R8 are perfect for this.

5 Likes

Can you? How?

1 Like

SRC3 - can record T1-8, cue or main. So you can say overdub record buffer on T1 set SRC3 to T1 and then say in AB, then whatever you record from the input gets overdubbed onto T1.

5 Likes

I just realized that “assign to self” allows some kind of workaround for an “undo” workflow with flex machine overdubing ( for those who don’t like PU machines). I use it for sound on sound looping.

Record a first version of a loop on a Flex track. If you’re happy with the loop but want to add something on top of it, save it, name it, and assign to self ( you now have a temporary saved loop but you still work on the record buffer). Now overdub (manualy or with a record trig). If you’re not happy with the new result, go to the AED, file, and “revert to saved file”. It loads the previous saved version of the file, like an undo command. Now you can try again and repeat the process. If you keep the AED menu open while looping you can do it on the fly.
It’s also super flexible to permenently save different versions of the loop on the way by renaming the saved loop with 01, 02, 03.
It’s not meant for live use as the sound briefly stops when you assign to self or when you revert to saved but great for sound on sound technique or composing loops in layer.

10 Likes

@Kinan yes this is a good one, add it to tips thread Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

Or @LyingDalai :wink:

1 Like

:ok_hand:t3:

Thanks ! @LyingDalai

1 Like