Octatrack Tips & Tricks (OT Tips)

Could be handy for a “stems” player using statics and sample locks with p-locked start to jump around to sections of dialog, vocals, backing tracks, beds etc. Although I have not tried this yet, in theory it should work great.

5 Likes

Also can be used to make a custom scale/keyboard without slicing! Works great with sequencer off, will definitely try it out with plays free

2 Likes

G o o d evening, my fellow disciples! On these divine days, these days whenst we bask in the glory of our holy anniversary, I offer to you all this most hallowed of maneuvers!

Discovered BOPF, (before one point four), this hidden technique may well have been unearthed by a previous disciple; however, I did thenst discover it of my own volition just the other week, and so in accordance with the rites of ignorance I get to go off about it

Hey!

Want to remix your slice sequence without changing your trigs or using any pesky LFOs?

Use tasty and nutritious ROTATE POS TO START!

“But Merv”, you say, “ROTATE POS TO START is an offline process, you can’t just whip it out in front of people like that!”

WELL, VIEWERS, i’m here to tell you to go ahead and FORGET EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVE

DO IT! ROTATE live with the sequencer running! Do it in front of strangers! Do it in front of your mate’s mum! She won’t believe her eyes

Don’t just take my word for it, friends. Read this exclusive witness account!

WITNESS ACCOUNT

I used this on a 1 bar sample @ 36bpm, 16 slices with multiple trigs on the grid, p-locking slices all over the place.

With the sequencer running:

• go to AED
  • open slices page
  • use the arrow keys to select the slice which you want to rotate to the beginning of the sample
  • switch to the edit page
  • choose ROTATE POS TO START

It takes a few seconds, and I consistently get a short retrig/buffer type audio glitch with my test (luckily this worked pretty well with my material), but I was also really surprised by how stable the sound stays during this! I would definitely consider this a usable technique.

With more extensive testing that I may or may not do, you could probably figure out how much sample length affects the process time (considerably is my guess), whether the amount of rotation affects the process time, and how to minimise glitches.

I like that it offers a way to quickly switch up sliced sequences that’s quite different from random locks and the ever faithful LFOs.

Happy anniversary, fellow octonauts!

Bonus tip: You can reverse slices live in the AED too :wink:

12 Likes

36bpm.
Flex or static?
Did you run it at 136bpm and see what happens?

It may have been 36 bpm but trigs were flying out, and the audio was pretty much constant.

You can’t access rotate or any advanced edit functions with static :wink:

Nope :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So this could be a method of slicing the same sample slot multiple different ways as well. Or just an alternative to slices in general.

1 Like

Yes, I think it could be handy for live sets, as long as the samples are set with TS on all that is required is to trig them in time. I played around with it briefly last night, pretty fun.

2 Likes

I tested trig preview with Flex, and the cool thing is that it can be quantized (ATTRIBUTES > QUANTIZED TRIG).

9 Likes

Yeah, for improv/live jams huge potential here :exploding_head:

3 Likes

is it possible to auto assign some samples to slots ?
What is the possible use of the two workspaces ?
Is this about saving or loading samples ?

thanks

No but you can create your “template”. Make a project, load your samples and save it.
Every time you open it before you do anything don’t forget to save it to a new project to keep your template the same and always available :slight_smile:

no when you go in Card Tool to see your folders you’ll see track 1 to 4 light up orange, your 1st workspace.
If you press any track from 5 to 8, they light up and that’s your 2nd workspace.
It remembers where you left the 2 workspace, essentially 2 windows in your pc so you can copy and paste easily without open multiple time the same folders.
Simple and cleaver :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Big limitation : releasing yes stop preview. An option to behave depending in AMP settings would open possibilities…

2 Likes

True, for one shot drop ins/hits not an issue, but it would be nice to have amp settings and loop latch.

1 Like

Aww bummer. I was already fantasizing about combined one shot/stem player on one plays free track…haven’t updated, yet so I couldn’t test myself.

2 Likes

I have yet to experiment with sound locking the record buffers and using trig preview but that could be interesting too…

3 Likes

Ah, that sounds interesting! OS 1.40 reinforced the will to get a second OT for some serious fuckery. I might not even record it, just listen side by side as I record OT No.1. :grin:

1 Like

Hello guys, can someone please help me with this trick ? I don’t really understand, what is the difference with a classic sampling ? Please could someone explain me what is it when Richkus say “ press rec + midi 3 to save the sample”
What is the difference with classic saving ?

Thanks folks

I don’t know.

I have a MKI, but apparently :
OT MKII : Func + REC3 opens Recording Edit (equivalent of RECAB or RECCD + Bank on MKI)

OT MKII MKI : Func + MIDI opens Part menu

2 Likes

I don’t know.

You liar :lying_face: :smile:

I have a MKI, but apparently :
OT MKII : Func + REC3 opens Recording Edit (equivalent of RECAB or RECCD + Bank on MKI)
OT MKII : Func + MIDI opens Part menu

Thank you, I am on a MKI too and/but didn’t payed attention to this :pensive:

1 Like