What do you feel is the sweet number of Elektron devices for live performance and studio recording?

I like to perform live, one shot actually if possible, but recently I’ve been more interested in producing finished, mastered tracks with a unique and identifiable sound to them.

I have three Elektron boxes, the A4MKII, DT, and DN… I only have one other synth (mono) so most of the MIDI tricks are not utilized and even with the A4’s song mode (which is not as fully fledged as the OT’s), it’s too much to handle while I play guitar. Only have two arms for now, all that sequencing power goes to waste for me.

I think I’m going to scrap the A4 and get a Rev2 for the sheer beefy sound, and it still has a decent sequencer and arp.

My dilemma just made me curious as to what all of you feel is the sweet spot of Elektron devices for your purposes? I think a couple years down the road I’ll be ready for my first Octatrack, but only once I finish with my thematic EP release.

So to answer my question, for my purposes I’d say 3, but at least one has to have a polished song mode, otherwise 2. I was born in ‘94 and wasn’t around for the early days of Elektron, would be really nice to use some of those early boxes or see them remade…

1 Like

I use three boxes to perform and produce. One device drums (AR), one bass (digitakt), and one pads (DN).

Then it goes into Heat for compressing sounds together.

3 Likes

I think Song mode is really useful but you can get away completely without it during a live set. Playing allows you to manage pattern changes in a more ad-hoc way rather than just allowing the machine to play through. For building songs for recording then it can very helpful as it provides the structure to eliminate error prone changes. My best three, machinedrum uw, octatrack mk1, analog for mk1 and blofeld is my current playground. I don’t really use the arranger in OT.

2 Likes

I agree on not using song mode - go with the flow:)

3 Likes

I’ve owned everything but an Octatrack since the SID Station. As such, my current opinion is two Elektron Devices. DT+DN. For some reason that particular combo resonates with me in so many ways. It’s a combination of the immediacy, simplicity, audio characteristics, and even size. This is an overused buzzword of the last two decades, but I feel if anything deserves the description of Synergistic it’s these little fellows.

Then of course a touch of modular, maybe a drum synth (currently using a TR-8 for that myself) and maybe some keys if you’re into that.

I just added a Medusa, but not sure if it’s going to click or not. Where analog is concerned, I’m used to my own designs, and those of DSI/Sequential.

Anyway, my take on it.

2 Likes

I feel that for sure. Just today I was messing with my Sub Phatty, never in my life have I made any form of trance or techno but I got a really gritty sound dialed in. Popped on my DN/DT and had a solid groove going in under 5 minutes.

2 Likes

One. My OT. Plus a synth and or drum machine. Less is more

4 Likes

maximum 2 for live
or just the ot

1 Like

Same here. More complex boxes is holding me down when playing live/improvising. And OT just does all what i need together with some sound sources (synth, and microphone).

3 Likes

I sold my DT recently, so it’s just OT, A4 and maybe my 0 Coast for live. My home studio rig is these 3 plus a poly synth and bass guitars. My main thing is OT and one or two other things, but always OT. I also only want one sequencer running live. I don’t do song mode, so the OT sequencing one or two other things

1 Like

Octatrack + 2 others could be nice, still manageable and no need for mixer as you could run each into the OT.

2 Likes

Digitakt into Monomachine into Octatrack. Rytm into A4 into Octatrack.

I don’t actually do this, but when I’ve had a few beers I start setting it up.

Then I try and connect everything via midi, drink another beer and give up.

9 Likes

had the a4 & ar, good together, ballooned out to add the OT, with a Push and Ableton in the mix it was too much. sold the lot now just have a DT. much more focused, doing a mix of daw plus the dt and one midi controller. it’s enough for me I think. contemplate the OT again sometimes but happy waiting to see what big thing Elektron does next. tempted to buy back the Digitone too, only really sold it for cash - love that box. DT and DN id be pretty happy with I think. hopefully buy the DN again soon but still, don’t wanna make things too complicated and the DT can do some pretty cool synth stuff as it is

1 Like

studio recording? All of them :nyan:

for gigging, use as many as you feel comfortable using. Even one box can be enough in the right hands, some will want more, some will get confused using more than one… I personally like the combo of one box + one other non-elektron instrument which has one function per knob or close to it… So that the other box is fast to manipulate while the elektron is the foundation. For me, two elektrons is about max I can handle simultaneously.

2 Likes

2 is my max right now, but in reality I am always really operating one only at the same time.
It’s mainly to separate rhythm from other layers that I use two boxes.

3 Likes

The less knobs the better. Just make the knobs you use Electro Shock Treatment!

One, any more and my brain melts. Maybe two if one is the M:S.

2 Likes

1 Like

1–2 at a time only. Doesn’t mean I can’t own more than that though :smiley:

1 Like