What DAW would you suggest for someone new to this world?

Hello,

As previously asked about what DAW to use with my Digitakt/Digitone setup, some have mentioned Reaper for me as it’s ‘free’ and fully loaded too. Bitwig looks good but I wasn’t sure on the version as I don’t mind paying.

I did lookup Reaper but some say there were/are sync/delay issues with it when using with the Digitakt’s USB and Oberbridge?

Ableton Live 11 ‘Intro’ looks good.

I mainly want to record into a DAW then do a small bit of mastering like increasing the gain or a little messing with the EQ or adding some more effects.

It all gets expensive though I see.

Has anyone had this?

You know that all DAWs will be suggested, don’t you?

13 Likes

Ableton Lite is free and will do everything you need. No need to spend any money.

3 Likes

Ableton Live :sunglasses:

3 Likes

BitWig.

Oh snap!!

4 Likes

FL
Free upgrades for life…

3 Likes

imo get a free trial of each one you can, try creating something simple, see if anyone clicks with you more then the other

most of them are equally capable producing a quality final product, fl, live, cubase etc., it’s mostly ease of your workflow that counts most, so pick one and get comfy with it

5 Likes

Is that the Spectral Suite?

1 Like

Saw the topic title and started thinking about DAWs for infants

7 Likes

This is the best advice in my opinion. It’s all about workflow, so pick the workflow you enjoy the most. No one can tell you which workflow will resonate with you, except yourself.

And with those modest needs you describe, it won’t have to cost much either - if at all.

Renoise!

It’s a different world.

It’s a different place.

More like heaven.

3 Likes

They’re all amazing and essentially do the same things differently… with some leanings. If you’re just using it for studio then any of em. If you think you’ll want to play it live then Ableton, Bitwig or Logic (poss others that I’m not aware of).

It’s win-win to matter what you pick you likely fall in love with it…

Good luck!

Reaper is awesome. I bought the license.
Haven’t tried Overbridge yet, though.

2 Likes

If that’s ALL you want to do, try Audacity.
Free

2 Likes

Yes
Reaper

2 Likes

For someone new, definitely Live…easy to learn, fun to use, industry standard (massive user base) so probably more learning resources available than any other DAW…can’t go wrong.

I would choose live again, it made it a lot more comfortable (routing etc), i used cubase before.

Ableton is good cause its so widely used. Whatever you are interested in you can easily find examples online.

Reaper + fabfilter plugs work really well too.

I’d still go with Ableton though cause over time you’re probably going to want to do more on the production side of things.

DAWs for Area 51 residents

2 Likes

Any one that looks interesting to you