What are the ugliest and most beautiful pieces of music gear?

Yeah, it’s certainly a lot nicer, that’s for sure. I would go for that or the less showy PX-7 first, that’s for sure :+1:

i would love to buy PX-7, but typically they are sold for significantly higher prices. add delivery costs and customs duties — and this idea turns bad.

anyway i want PX7 ROM, cause i’m a drummer.

Is that a sliding shelf that the Blofeld is housed in?

If so, can I ask where you got it please?

yes, this is a sliding rackmount shelf.
i’ve ordered two of them from some local manufacturer here in Ukraine.
it’s unlikely to found them in stores selling music-related equipment, but rather those selling rackmount equipment for datacenters.

1 Like

I was coming here to post genoQs gear in the “beauty” column

1 Like

3 Likes

Not for me ! Very ugly by definition :smiley:

1 Like

Most beautiful- Elektron Mk1 Analog Four/Keys and (to a lesser extent) Rytm and OT are timeless designs. I also find the older Roland analogs like the SH-09 to be lovely, and 80’s Yamaha gear like the TQ5, DX100 and RX drum machines had great industrial design. The clear aesthetics of Mutable Instruments modules always appealed to me. Waldorf Wave, Microwave and Q series too. Yamaha Reface CS. Oberheim Xpander. And anything Macbeth.

Ugliest- maybe Werkstatt w/CV expansion? My old E-Mu Orbit was pretty fugly, as well as nearly every other rompler they made in the 90’s. Early Gotharman stuff. Alesis Fusion. Roland SP-808ex. Ensoniq Fizmo rack. Akai S20.

5 Likes

Without getting into guitars and stuff;
Best looking candidates that I currently own would be
-first run moogerfooger ring modulator (just a classy looking pedal)
-art rm5 monitors (I ordered them thinking they were mildly ugly but in person I really like the look)
-Yamaha cs5
-arturia mb2s (while the materials don’t look especially nice the design and layout is really pleasant to look at)
-Yamaha reface cs (again, just a great design. Very complementary angles. Simple and elegant and efficient)
-I really like the look of all of my home made gear but I suppose that’s a given since I made it look the way it does. Especially my pseudo 42 osc drone synth and my circuit bent Casio mt40.

Ugliest. Where to start? I’m not bothered my ugly gear in the slightest so I’ve ended up with lots of it.
Good candidates;
-kurzweil k1000
-adrenalinn
-ehx v256
-zoom h2
-korg ea1 (totally misunderstood synth but it’s definitely the ugly sibling in the original electribe family)

3 Likes

I think the cv-expander improves the look of the Werkstatt. Man that thing is boring looking. Matches the sound.

yes they look very nice

2 Likes

I dunno. The mk1 MnM looked like something out of a retro future sci-fi movie.

While I was initially disappointed that I was sent the mk1 with less engines, I was also disappointed to send it back because it was so big bulky and beautiful.

My vote for most beautiful gear would be the desktop version of the white Blofeld

3 Likes

I like the looks of the C15.

https://www.nonlinear-labs.de//product/c15.html#_

7 Likes

Always loved these two, had the JD two times but design was better than sound for me at that time.

The Wave is just such an iconic design. There’s something very classically simplistic about the Synclavier that appeals to me as well:

Also the futuristic look of Hartmann Neuron with the joysticks cannot be forgotten:

And my favourite current piece of equipment that I kinda get to tweak from time to time is the Shadow Hills Mastering compressor - this one looks like it’s carved out from an old submarine with gain knobs almost the size of a fist and it lights up as a christmas tree with the green lights:

7 Likes

For me, ugliest has to be Yamaha TG55, just a really ridiculous looking and difficult to use machine, but interesting sounding.

Best looking though? That’s tough… before I sold it I’d probably have said the Nord Modular G1 Keyboard, but now, I think the Analog Four Mk2.

3 Likes

Came here to look for Grandmother / Matriarch haters

1 Like

So awesome

Sexiest piece of gear I owned was probably an MPC 2500 Limited Edition. It was immaculate when I sold it in pristine white and I should have kept that and sold my fully loaded og MPC 2500, but that had a stiff jog wheel. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Dynacord Add-One though, but they go for serious money

6 Likes

Ugly: Roland D2 Groovebox

Most beautifull: Korg Sigma

7 Likes

Besides the raver disc golf look, what’s a reason to acquire one?