What are the best midi controller mappings for MD parameters?

Will trade my Beat Step Pro controller mapping I used for the Digitakt for trade secrets of BeatStep symbiosis with MD. I even made a cheat sheet! Is it better to make a custom mapping for MD parameters, or should I use the BSP’s sequencer which I havent learned as of yet. I also have a midi program cord that could be controlled by the Beat step’s custom map, but I haven’t quite put together what that mapping will look like.

I’m sorry to go for the platitudinal “it depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it”
Assigning the synthesis parameters for example would be a real headache for me because they can differ per machine. I like to have midi control over the levels but it’s not very exciting. Controlling the global effect parameters could be cool. But it’s also nice to have control over the filters and sends.
Just some thoughts.

True yeah I sold my Digitakt to go all in with Machinedrum. I had custom mapped my beatstep for performing beats with a tune knob and some others I didn’t use. I watched a video recent that showed that it is generative with midi loopback and can “do bad all by itself”. I guess I dont even know where to start the interface is like digitakt but it has multiple menus(?) for each page(?). I’d like to just lay down a track or test its sampling but IDK. I hear that it can only play back two separate loops at a time, I have the UW MkI version. On digitakt it was cool to make a beat only on one track because you could trig lock the sample.

Besides the user manual I can highly recommend reading the “elektron next level” (there’s a 2011 and a 2016 version), “elektron_tips_tricks” and Wesen’s “md tips” (v1 and V2). These can be found in the files section of elektronauts’ previous incarnation.

You’re right that sound locking isn’t a thing on the MD, I’ve made some sample chains with varying levels of success. One thing I learned and still have to occasionally remind myself of is that’s it’s not necessarily necessary to be economic with the MD tracks, there’s 16 of them and usually when I try to utilise all of them as “traditional” drum tracks I end up with busy, unfocused patterns. Remember that in addition to all the different machines and 4 sample tracks there are various cntrl machines you can assign and plock the parameters of those and the lfo’s can be freely assigned/routed.

1 Like