Was it released too soon ? [compilation topic]

ya but this is ‘not doing features it says it does’

Holy Shit! I was joking saying “like if it crashed loading a sample”

It cant even load samples!!! What thje F@#$ did we buy!! holy crap

1 Like

I had 6 hours of jams with DT 1.0 and had no issues… Upgraded to 1.02 and still had a ball, sampling and all. The only issues occurred live when it was receiving midi from OT through a Kenton midi-thru box. It stopped making sounds, but I had enough other gear with me to not have it be a big deal. I’m always patient with my new little friends

2 Likes

Yeah, you are right, it’s not acceptable.

If I had to guess why there’s no apology on this site or Elektron.se, my guess would be legal reasons. Once a company starts apologizing, it can be admitting responsibility, which leads to false advertising lawsuits etc.

I don’t want to see Elektron getting sued, but I would like them to offer some kind of olive branch, or at least give us a time line as to when this (and other issues) will be fixed. I’m lucky, I have a paying job, and any cash I make from music is basically pocket money. But that’s not true for working musicians who have bought this needing the specifications which were up on the Elektron website and the manual that was released before the machine came out, to be actually true.

If the box crashes, you can’t gig with it and you can’t use it in the studio. OK, you can say, don’t use MIDI sync, but a lot of us, myself included, need MIDI. [of course if Elektron had updated the OT OS to include trig conditions I might not have bought the Digitakt anyway :wink: ]

The only way to make companies understand that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable, and change this current trend of “users as beta testers” is to send it back if you can’t wait. It sounds like you have a lot of nice gear in your studio, so as you said, immerse yourself back in that.

I know I was taking a more ameliorating position earlier, but AFAIK there hasn’t been word one from Elektron about this problem. Come on guys…

4 Likes

You’re just not a very sophisticated unit are you brother? Everything’s black and white with no shades of grey - it’s possible to have a nuanced opinion about the Digitakt and point out issues without being a complete tool.

If you think I’m a fanboy then please read my post number 72 above, then have a little think and a lie down. Linked here to make it easy for ya:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Not trying to be sophisticated. Not one of those (cogh cogh!) who try and create an attractive presence on a forum… just here to 'read up and complain ‘if need be’ about Items I purchase. Not a college grad either, (incase your gonna check my spelling and grammer next) I was to busy putting in work on the dance floor. …dam F’n right

You thru a (trendy) mem at me calling me a dick, now your stepping up calling me a tool. Whatever, enjoy your little forum battles

I guess I didnt even have to say anything… you already did. Truth deserves support though.

Fair enough.

Bit easy to miss tho. As someone who works in the service industry and deals with client feedback and complaints everyday, I’d put that post on the front page of the website. Maybe above the sound pack they are trying to get us all to buy. :heavy_dollar_sign:

Sorry @Open_Mike - this isn’t a rant directed at you. I know you were just responding to @woodenrocket.

1 Like

Yes and Simon posted yesterday that they are currently. fixing the midi issues. that’s why I haven’t used any midi yet. i will with the next OS release which should be in a few days or so. jeziz, relax.
that’s what I’m. saying.

1 Like

The OT had issues, the A4 had issues, the AR was fantastic (just needed updates), seems the AH was a smash, so Digitakt has flaws
Can’t win em all ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’m sure the Digitakt will get on point quick.

2 Likes

This thread turned to turd pretty quickly!

Why all the stress?! If it isn’t working to an acceptable level just return it!

4 Likes

Word!

2 Likes

Guess users want a quick fix after 2 os revisions.
Can’t be that hard to stop the os crashing.

Alright.

And yes all that you stated was your opinion. And no, I don’t fancy an internet debate.

The disappointment and frustration is understandable. However, imho it’s obvious that Elektron certainly didn’t KNOW that devices would crash so badly (or have misplaced buttons or flaky midi sync) … the cost of that negative publicity far outweighs the cost of delaying and maybe reworking prior commitments … It’s very clear that they had a timetable to meet (release date assurances, perhaps external pressures, perhaps getting it out ahead of delayed staff holiday commitments, national holidays etc) and they were rather optimistic about the outcome of the unplanned limited level of testing; don’t forget, there was no midi until the last moments and it’s clear that many aspects are still being developed (and as a beta tester I know that features will get pulled last minute) the result of pushing in and pulling out features is bound to be difficult for an already pushed internal testing group, there would probably have been little stability in the os … thus the outward delay to provide details, timetables, previews and provide factory content etc. It’s not rocket science. They make a leap and it hasn’t quite gone as well as they’d have expected or wanted … think of all the added pressure on support and the developers now as they race to fix the issues double fast … this was obviously NOT part of a plan.

Elektron couldn’t win anyway … some people say in the introducing thread ‘release it already, I’ll test it’ and some say ’ I’ll wait, I don’t need the hassle of it being rushed out too quick’. Sure it’s crap that your honeymoon is getting rained on, but I bet most people given the chance %wise would have opted to be united early with the device that Elektron thought they were releasing (mostly working, missing a few bits and rough around the edges) rather than waiting … at this rate it’ll be matured to a proper release state quicker because it’s being done in the open to fix critical issues … the down side is that the pressure to fix it fast may backfire

It is what it is, in a few weeks this will likely be a distant memory, but it probably won’t happen again quite like this on subsequent products, so there may be more caginess about release dates which will bring out the cries of ‘secrecy’ no doubt … there’s always an angle to get your nose out of joint if you look for it. It’s probably not their finest hour, but I bet most prospective buyers would have taken the early release opportunity if given the choice. Easy for me to say (not an owner) but just wanted to present another way to think about this fwiw … judging by the absence of minor bug release fixes for the other boxes I guess this is the busiest time they’ve had on the software side especially as there’s been a lot of new products in recent years … just needs a bit of patience, also from non DT owners

It obviously was released too soon, but that’s clear only with hindsight, I think the intent to meet the public demand was an honest well intentioned one and a few un-squished catastrophic bugs have really messed up the whole picture … nobody is really happy, but the constructive/pragmatic are at least enjoying/learning theirs in the meantime. A little more public feedback would probably have been helpful, but you can imagine it’s probably hectic there as a result of all of this … I’m sure by next week it’ll be a different story all round

This thread turning to chaos was sadly inevitable, but I have to agree that there is no point in the ranting when we know the issue is known and will be fixed very quickly, get it off your chest for sure, but keep it in perspective too … turn on the news where you live, we’re only talking about a temporarily hamstrung drum machine are we not ! Give them time, it takes time so you’ll need to be patient

Please, everyone, whatever your perspective … try not to inflame things further with the jibes especially when many folk are justifiably wound up … if it gets your back up flag the post (or leave it) rather than taking it on and keep the dialogue as constructive as possible (and on topic)

17 Likes

My take on this is, pre-ordering or buying into beta/alpha/early access encourages poor expectations and behaviour of both the consumer and the developer. Really, only the manufacturer benefits unless you’re a reviewer/Youtuber etc, the more people buy products before they’re even finished the more often we see this.

Not aiming this specifically at :3lektron:, the same is true throughout the tech world.

4 Likes

tl;dr Elektron will have learnt from this experience and I’m also sure something like this will not happen again. The next unit will be tested and assembled meticulously.

I fully agree with @avantronica. The one thing that has left a bad taste in my mouth, as I said before, was the opening post on the front page being for “Buy this new sample pack!” rather than “Hey we’re working on fixing those bugs.” Only takes 5 minutes to write and I think it would have reduced a lot of the negative feelings on here. For example:

"Dear Elektron users,

We know that the Digitakt hasn’t had the best launch and that some of you have been experiencing hardware and firmware problems. All of us here at Elektron HQ want to assure you that we are doing everything in our power to address all of these issues as quickly and effectively as we can. We value our users more than anything else in the world and we realize that it’s only through your continued goodwill that we get to create our amazing machines. The Digitakt is going to be awesome. It needs a little tinkering but soon a new firmware update will take care of the bugs. If you’ve had hardware issues, please return your unit to your retailer and we’ll fix it, free of charge, of course. We’d like to thank you so much for your patience and for producing so much amazing music on the Digitakt. The flood of videos on YouTube has been astounding. News about updates will be forthcoming very soon.

The Elektron Team"

5 Likes

Yep … a more prominent ‘we are aware of this and we’re on it’ style calming note would have gone some way to help out … maybe there’s better feedback on the social media platforms, I guess not … I imagine the feedback from support would be the place to get clarity and re-assurance

1 Like