Was it released too soon ? [compilation topic]

New components, new integrated circuits, new microcontrollers.
It’s easy to write and debug high level software if you have fancy debuggers. It’s completely different story on the low level embedded systems. You may have code that works on emulator (if they have) but it sometimes does not work on real hardware for some unknown reason. It takes time to resolve those kind of bugs.

5 Likes

Right out of the box it just keeps freezing. It seems Everyone elses is doing the same thing, I dont understand why they even started selling them.

Im returning my Digitakt very soon.

…please dont tell me to upgrade the OS or any other nonsense (already did, no effect) Maybe if it was just a few people reporting this bug. Its not a bug though They All cant handle what there supposed to do. Feels like Ive been used.

1 Like

Been rocking mine for the last 5 hours no problems. I had one hang up in the first 5 minutes, just unplugged the external midi sync and it was smooth sailing from there. Haven’t even upgraded to 1.02 yet

2 Likes

I guess Im one of the lucky ones then. no probs here.

1 Like

It’s all a bit curious … I haven’t had any crashes, but I am not using midi sync at the moment while I learn the unit (but will definitely require midi sync once I start using the DT properly as part of my rig). Was wondering today whether it has anything to do with OS upgrade method - ie. USB vs MIDI over TM-1. I updated to 1.02 with the TM-1; veeeery slow but perhaps more accurate?!?

I can’t speak for 1.02, but in1.01 it seems any midi or USB connections make it prone to instability. Just arrived a few hours ago, so I’ve been using it stand alone to learn it’s ins and outs

1 Like

That’s the common thing I’m noticing as well. The whole MIDI debacle

No. There’s checksums and stuff in place. Firmware upgrade either works or it doesn’t. They’d be doing nothing but unbrick messed up machines if there weren’t some safety measures.

2 Likes

Id say more than %75 have bought this to Sync/Midi/Sequence etc.

If it cant be Sync’d and Sequence 1 Midi Machine without Freezing over and over… ???
Seriously…

If the answer is to turn “Ext Sync” off, Uhh???!! Mostly Hardware Studio here, dont know about others. And I make Music (usualy sync’d right lol)

…So they didnt do any testing to make sure it could handle what its supposed to? …But theyll take my money??? Was a big fan, now not so much.

Its like if you buy a piano and cant play chords. “Just pressing 1 note at a time if fine over here” Happy they have so many fans, pretty pissed over here (justifiably)

3 Likes

Did they recently sell the company or something? seems like its becoming a “franchise” or something (if thats the right term…you know what I mean hopefully)

I totally get your frustration. You’re right, it should’ve been better tested before release, since most people on the Elektron boards I tend to see are mostly hardware based.

Yep, I can report the same. I’ve had crashes with MIDI just assigning CCs, and sending note data.

As to whether it should not have been released…

Maybe I’m just unlucky, but I’ve owned very few pieces of gear that I bought close to release date that functioned as advertised. This applies to most smaller manufacturers and some large ones too.

I’m afraid that now it’s the norm for users to be used as beta testers for these types of products. That’s not how it should be of course, but 20 years ago you could put out a press release for a new product and a couple of pics years before releasing it. People would wait. All this hard GASsing, hype-train feeding has naturally had an effect on the manufacturing process.

I’m not making excuses for Elektron, and personally, with all of the hardware issues some people have been experiencing, I feel that Elektron needs to take a long hard look at their QA department.

I am sure, however, that they are burning the midnight oil right now trying to get these MIDI bugs squashed. Firmware development takes time, and Elektron is a small company trying to stay afloat in a very competitive market.

So @woodenrocket I’d hold fire on returning it, unless you have to have a functioning sync in your rig right now for a live show or other work. I don’t know if you are new to Elektron or a die-hard User, but they will fix it.

I realize that it’s frustrating, I’ve been there too and I feel your pain.

2 Likes

I feel a bit burned by this box too.

Want to use it but feel it’d be pointless to sample things and make tracks only to have to do a factory reset with a new OS.

is it not just midi IN that has an issue with DT. turn midi and usbmidi IN settings off, until os1.03 which is going to be with us over the next few days / weeks. (in that regard)

All the new users have learnt the lesson we all have at one point : elektron releases beta os’s with almost ever product.

I returned an ot beta back in the day.

1 Like

Could be worse. I’ve seen gear released in an Alpha state before…

1 Like

…or as DIY-Kit (DT-Werkstatt) :grin:

Too soon imo means that there was a (time-)lack of qualtity control. And as mentioned in the bugs-thread, there are so many configurations out there, that it is resonable not to test every single one. It was suggested, to send some units (100 would be enough for sure) to some power users before offical release. There are many among us who have many years of Elektron-experience, own every single box and would have a lot of fun to help (and take part on development and release support).

From the economical point of view I guess it would save a lot of money, even more distress, points out a professional understanding of customer relationship and simply generates the best product available. I’m quite sure that this procedure could iron out 98% of the current listed ‘bugs’ and reduce it to 10 entries.

At the point of official relase manpower is needed - tons of expensive hours are wasted with simple tasks (shipping, forum support, official support and so on) whereas a specific know how is urgently need on product improvement.

So it was said, Elektron has some suprises this year - I hope the DT-release will spent them a lot of new ideas.

2 Likes

Go back and look at the posts surrounding the original releases of the previous big boxes (OT, A4, AR).
You’ll see a similar pattern (although generally without the hardware QC issues).

The Octatrack is still unfinished according to some folks and the A4 and AR had some issues that took a long time to resolve. If you’re a student of history, you’d know to avoid buying a new unit from Elektron unless you a) enjoy being a beta tester, or b) absolutely need whatever functionality it’s providing no matter how rough the OS is at the time.

Just hope they don’t announce the next piece of hardware before the bugs you care about are fixed…

1 Like

Elektron can only do that a couple of times before people stop buying from them. It is a niche market after all. They’re not selling millions of units. At some point everybody will know to avoid Elektron.

I’m giving them a chance to fix the DT. It was released too soon. I assume they have learned not to cave into pressure from a dozen impatient people as the group with patience is much larger but was silent.

2 Likes

A factory reset does not erase everything, it overwrites the preset project, and sound bank A. You can make projects and save them in different slots then the preset project, and you can save sounds just not in sound bank A. After a factory reset, all your projects, sounds, and samples will be there… Just fyi…

6 Likes