Waldorf M

Did you check if that SD card works on the M before updating?
Maybe it just can’t read the card and cannot find the firmware file.
On gearspace there is the waldorf M thread where the developer is active and he could help.

Make sure you are updating the DSP first… if I remember correctly if you are on one of the earliest firmwares then sometimes you get and error and it will not automatically retry so instead you just have to manually retry until it loads correctly. Sometimes it takes many trys.

I didn’t check the card to be fair. I just formatted it on the PC first.

I will have a look for the Gearspace thread, thanks.

Interesting. I tried the Host one first because that was how it was listed on the ‘How to’ guide.
Fortunately because it hadn’t started I was able to switch it off.

I will investigate further before trying again.

Update: It turned out to be the SD card. Tried a new one and all worked as expected.

2 Likes

I could be wrong I think what I heard was from a forum post… so I would try to do it as the how to says, but yeah if it fails just try again… I remember it failing a few times for me the first time I tried to update, normal for whatever reason.

1 Like

The waiting list is open for the voice card expansion. 100 to be built on this run, you just have to email Waldorf directly for a spot!

6 Likes

I emailed them through the support page. Will that work?

It should. I did the same thing right now. Hopefully we get the first batch. 8 more voices on the m is a little more exciting than getting my ps5

1 Like

Yes thats were i sent it to, just got a response saying im on the in list and asking which country im in. No idea what the price of the expander is yet lol.

Around €500 for the voice expansion according to a friend of mine.

2 Likes

Out.

For.

Delivery.

And… I’m stuck at work… :rage:

I’m definitely going to have to get on the next round of voice upgrades. (gotta replenish the synth slush fund…)

I’ll have plenty to do in the meantime though.

4 Likes

Trust me you’ll love it

1 Like

What I’m really looking forward to is low bit, low frequency gritty textures.

1 Like

It’s… …sooooooooo… …gooooooooooooddddd…

I’ve owned most Waldorf synths, with the exception of the tiny ones (Rocket, etc.), the Wave, and the Microwave 1. This one is already becoming my favorite. I mean, I still LOVE the XT/XTk. However, I just might like this slightly more. :smiley: I haven’t said that about any other synth ever. The SSI filters just suit it so well, and I’ve already been digging out the types of sounds that I was hoping to get from it.

I still need a lot more time with it to even get past this initial surface that I’ve scratched, despite it being simplified in some ways. It’s super quick to get around on too.

I feel bad, I haven’t turned up the volume on my Hydra since I got it. It’s basically an M controller right now. :smiley: (not to say anything bad about the Hydra, because I still think it’s amazing) but if the M came in a 61 key keyboard with the expansion already in, I would probably ditch everything I have, except the (Digitakt and Grandmother).

19 Likes

Thats what impressed me about this synth. Even the init patch with simple sine waves just sounds awesome.

4 Likes

Was curious what you thought of the M now that you have it — your comment confirms my worst fear that it’s as amazing as I imagine it to be. This one is on my “someday…” list, might be at the top.

2 Likes

Not a bad place for it to be. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure if I’d actually be able to grab one, as I don’t have much space right now for new synths, and I haven’t done the one-out part of my one-in one-out rule for a bit, so I shouldn’t be spending money on more synths. :smiley: However, I sold a pretty big modular, and figured that I better do it. Glad I did. It does actually make a few of my other synths a bit superfluous, so I’m carefully considering whether I should just keep a solid but a bit large setup, or maybe swap a few things out for one other thing, or something like that.

I certainly like the impressive look of having all these synths, but realistically, the way I work on my hardware setup, I can only realistically play two synths and a drum/sequence based device or two at a time.

Kind of fighting off that urge to consolidate again. :smiley: I don’t know what it is with my brain, but I get a bit strange when I have more things than I use at a time. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I bought one from Thomann this morning, it was really cheap compared to the states on there :flushed:

I live in Los Angeles. I’ve ordered an OB6 and Udo Super 6 keyboard from them in the past and it went smoothly but I’m always nervous when I order from overseas. Hopefully it gets here ok. Incredibly excited to get this!

4 Likes

That’s what I did as well. It went perfectly fine! Oh, I will say that the power supply only came with the (I believe German style) power cable. However, it’s JUST the power cable that goes into the power supply brick. It’s a standard two-pin style one like many things use (like TVs etc.) You’ll need one like this: (I had one just laying around…) The brick itself works on 115/230/240 etc. (auto)

s-l500

2 Likes

Yeah I ended up selling off the Pro 2 because of the M, it just gets to the types of hybrid sounds I like so dang easily. I ended up putting my name down for the 8 voice expander, and Vlad on the gearspace forum has said next update should have improved multimode features (I think this is the first waldorf that will get that). Its basically the only synth I have used since its release and I have just been sampling it really heavily and using the sounds in the spectralis and eurorack. Even my Syntrx is looking a little worried.

7 Likes