Waldorf M

Yes, what @thomaso said :+1:

I tested some homemade wavetables now. I made then in waveedit, then drag them into Audacity. Export as audio, and you will get this save options. The correct settings are applied here.
After export i needed to remove the .raw file extension. If i exported as wav and did the same you get a glitch in the first wave after import. Thats the “header” that gets included in a wav export.

Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 10.36.52

3 Likes

Nice! Thank you thomaso! I am gonna try this with the Piston Honda wavetables as above mentioned.

To import into the M, Vlad gave an explanation here:

Serum .256 files (8-bit exports) fits ideally. Just export from Serum, rename to wtslotXX where XX is between 00-31, i.e. number of the slot in the M. Then copy the file to the SD Card in the root directory, choose in the Option slot, and skip settings. Then go to the Operations and select Load user wavetable.

Serum seems like the best thing for making your own wavetables. But i wont buy a full softsynth just for those features. hehe Would love just the wavetable generating part as a stand alone software.

Have you found a good way to make wavetables? Waveedit is ok, but you cant automatically interpolate between wavetables, so you have to fill every slot manually. Audioterm looked nice, but that is Win only.

1 Like

Haven´t experimented with it much.

I think both the novation and microfreak are pretty heavily interpolation based wavetables also, so likely they wouldn’t be of much use even if you could export. Arturia does seem to have a slightly better implementation though.

I wonder if that single cycle wave tool ess made would be a good way to put together an interesting wavetable, might be a pain to stitch together all the waves though. I might need to keep my eyes peeled for a good sale on serum just for making wavetables down the road. Honestly the built in waves cover a ton of ground I haven’t really found times that I am desperate for something that’s not in there for more traditional sounds. Would be fun to build some robot voice stuff with wavetable though.

1 Like

Audioterm is cool for making wavetables! It is a bit cumbersome to get around as it is a copy of the waveterm for ppg i think. But after some messing around and some youtube tutorials i was good to go.

It can import samples, and automatically make wavetables from that. Short speech samples are awesome! hehe.

You can also draw in wavetables and interpolate between them. So you dont have to draw or import 64 waves. Then you can export as a 64 slice wave file. It only has 32 waves but it interpolates between them. Then opened that in Audacity and export to raw 8bit unsigned.

Here is a droneish thing i made with a “homemade” additive type wavetable. Only one oscillator used, and some lfo action. Just a improvisation so everything is played and tweaked live.

9 Likes

Holy… what a synth! I wanted to import those Piston Honda Wavetables…fired up the M and along the line got totally distracted, lost in playing with the M and came up with another track for my next album.

Wow! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, its been a long time since ive been this impressed with the sound of a synth. It just has that raw tone thats awesome. And it is full of strange quirks that makes it a bit different than other modern synths.

A friend says it really reminds him of the sounds you get out of the OSCar with its additive synth engine.

1 Like

Yes it got this special dirty unpredictability , that you normally get from full substractive analog synths, e.g Analogue Solutions synths.

And very “warm and full” at the same time. Just lovely!

1 Like

Warm, buzzy, deep. Threedimensional.

where did you get Audioterm?
Thank you

Found a link on Modwiggler.

1 Like

FYI: You can use the demo version

Words feeding my GAS

Sounds feeding my GAS.

The M is definitely on my 2022 list.

I would really like to see an M vs Hydrasynth video.

2 Likes

Ohh, i hadnt thought about that. Seems like it works for 20 minutes. Should be able to make some wavetables in that time. :slight_smile:

Thank you. It seems it only works in windows :frowning_face:

I think exporting the wavetables is disabled in the demo.

Yeah. I think someone said it worked fine in a “windows wrapper” program, but i havent tried. I had an old win laptop i could use. Makes audioterm feels even more authentic when you use a dedicated computer just for making wavetables. haha.