Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Does anyone know by any chance if / how I could wipe all the factory presets from my Waldorf Iridium Keys? Not near my device atm, so can’t check, hence thought I’d ask here.

1 Like

Inspired by @JES Buddha Curtain release and the generous description of his synth patching in that release, I’ve made this patch on my Iridium Keyboard this afternoon. It’s two saw waves running through a 24dB LPF with the resonance set to emphasise the first harmonic. Then a second filter (used the Nave Notch24 filter of the Digi Former) to take out most of the saw base sound, leaving mostly the harmonic. Both filters are set to 100% keytracking. Then a third oscillator is added, a pitched down sine wave via OSC3 sent straight to the VCA with keytracking set to 0% (to create that droning effect often present in buddhist chanting). Finally there’s a tremolo and a drive added in the FX section and a reverb at the end of the chain. The mod wheel modulates the tremolo’s dry/wet and speed and aftertouch modulates the dry/wet of the drive. If anyone’s interested in the patch let me know and I’ll try to upload it here.

10 Likes

Nicely done! One thing I didn’t say in my patch notes was that I retain the original sound as well (which Radigue didn’t do–she had this whole thing about not hearing the fundamental). If you did that, you might not need/want osc3. Though you also might.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes OSC3 was a deliberate choice, I wanted the round tonality of a sine wave as fundamental sound but wanted the harmonic content of a saw wave going through the filter.

OSC3 also doesn’t pitch track, it’s set to C-2…I’m really into tonic drones, like a shruti box or a tanpur, so that is meant to sort of simulate that.

1 Like

Yes please. I’ve not tried to upload a qpat file but I guess it’ll play nice in a zip file like I did for the mimap stuff above

1 Like

here you go my man, let me know if that worked.

00002-Buddhas Chant.qpat (176.4 KB)

EDIT: if you want OSC3 to pitch track, I recommend turning Mono Retrig on for it and then just set Pitch Keytracking to 100%. I also just adjusted the Pitchbend Range (PB Range) for OSC1 + 2 to 0, while setting it to +12 semitones for OSC3, which allows me to pitchbend only the fundamental up an octave.

EDIT2: Here are @JES patch notes (in context of his Buddha Curtain release):
Buddha Curtain — Music for Insomnia - #9 by JES

3 Likes

qpat without zip, cool.
Gonna fire up and see how it goes…

EDIT1: Loads into Iridium desktop fine, thanks!
Thx also for link to notes
( As it happens I was immersing in Track2 from Insomnia through a Genelec sub when your notification pinged through!)

2 Likes

Thank you I don’t think I have these ones !

Is anyone else encountering a bug where the digiformer Color value is jumping around rapidly? No mods set. And it doesn’t matter which type is in use.

Hi guys,
I’ve just got my iridium about a month ago and completely blown away how intuitive it is making patches on it .
I haven’t even looked at the manual yet as it’s pretty straightforward so far.
Has anyone on here used the sample robot 6 pro software to make multi samples yet?

I’m extremely excited regarding this :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
I’ll be getting that new MPE controller from the intuitive instruments kickstarter that I backed a year ago later today and beyond excited what the possibilities could be with using my own foley multi sampled instruments blended with the insane wavetables on this synth.

In my head I think the outcome will be very Amon Tobin - ISAM territory;)

Have a great day guys​:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::clown_face:

5 Likes

I have not used sample robot but have loaded my own samples onto the Iridium and it’s incredibly satisfying to layer with the other synth engines. Aside from samples that are in tune, it’s also great for adding atonal sounds as a texture layer to add character. With all the tools available you can take virtually any sample and do something interesting with it as a layer in your patch, or on its own!

2 Likes

I’ve also been looking at Sample Robot for both Iridium and ProphetX. Then again there is also the auto sampler in MainStage and the Akai and Maschine offerings. I think Sample Robot is the only one with auto sustain loop detection but I could be wrong on that.

1 Like

Yes it seems we are living in the golden age of sample manipulation now and cant wait to get stuck in:)

they need to make it 8-16 part multi-timbral like the Virus TI2 then I would consider it.

We’ll let Waldorf know that you won’t consider it otherwise, I’m sure they’ll get on it right away then!!!

6 Likes

maybe Access will create a new modern virus that is my dream!

1 Like

Yeah I do agree with you, multitimbrality on the Iridium would be amazing (it can do two patches on two different layers / midi channels, but not more than that), but the thing is such an amazing synth otherwise, in my book it is well worth it regardless.

2 Likes

waldorf blofeld is good value and may pick one up next year

1 Like

My friend lent me his Ti2 61 keyboard for 6 weeks just to see if it would be more suitable with the multimbral 16 parts but to be honest the menu diving and horrible tiny screen put me off.
Even the buttons felt like cheap plastic.
Don’t get me wrong it’s a beast of a workhorse but at the end of the day it’s been left to die and now unsupported.

If access made a TI3 with big screen and all the jazz that the iridium has I would probably get that instead but sadly access are 100% devoted to the kemper amp stuff.

In only a few years Waldorf has added so many updates to the quantum / iridium that will only get better as time goes on so yeh I’m totally satisfied and over the moon that I’ve finally bought a synth that will keep me GAS free for hopefully the next decade :crossed_fingers::laughing::laughing::laughing::joy::joy:

3 Likes

If you can’t make something absolutely spectacular and mind blowing on the iridium with 2 layers you shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near 8 - 16 layers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes