Waldorf Blofeld users

Yeah the encoders tend to get jumpy after a few years. Have the blofeld desktop since 2008, 2-3 years ago it happend to some of my knobs but i cured it with this mod:

No problems since then.

The SL update is still abit pricey IMO, think i will pass :\ .

1 Like

I enjoyed programming it from MM, but ultimately found the Multi Mode too cumbersome to navigate, especially when it came to reliable program changes of the Multi. This is more of a gripe in a live performance context, and less applicable in the studio.

A simpler 4-slot Nord-esque Multi Mode with patches copied to the Multi (like Kits in A4) would have made it a perfect V/A for me.

@whet - Thanks for mentioning that that fix worked for you. Iā€™ll have to keep that in mind in case my volume knob gets worse.

The volume knob is a potentiometer not an encoder, wont work there as far as i understand it.

No problem with my unit so far. I donā€™t take it out of the studio though. I just sample it to my Octa when playing live. I love this synth. So many great sounds for not much money.

1 Like

I have had my Blofeld KB for 5 years now. The knobs are pretty loose but to make it worst lately my unit will not save global settings after shutdown. This includes saving multis.
Not a huge issue but I have no idea what is causing it. Every time I turn it on I have to set it to Local ON and change the midi channel to the one I am using these days
since the settings can not be stored and saved.
Other than that I am a huge Waldorf fan I just wish the hardware aspect of the Blofeld was up to Nord standards. Such a shame since ever time I use the Blofeld I learn something new. The modulation matrix is killer. The kind of LoFi sounds you can get are endless and can not be properly described in words.

When I searched online for ā€œBlofeld noisy USBā€ it was striking how many had gotten the advice to look at their USB cables and perhaps ground them. Even from Waldorf.

The only solid advice Iā€™ve read so far, is get rid of the USB cable and use Midi cables. That solved it for me. Iā€™ve had a few synthesizers and peripherals with USB connections, and the Blofeld is the only one that had this problem, so the mystery of the noisy USB connection is likely just a poor USB integration in the Blofeld.

Still love the synth and Iā€™m happy that the problem is now gone.

I recently sold one keyboard.
Using my backup (it was brand new in box for two years) and getting a desktop as I want a second one active in my setup.
Ran out of space. With my eventide pedals this thing is a beast.

One of my patches.

6 Likes

Woah. That is insane.

Itā€™s funny. On the preset-surface the Blofeld doesnā€™t sound very exciting, but getting to know it well is so incredibly rewarding. Many people piss on it but itā€™s a real gem and your video proves that point like no other.

I sold most of my synths including some highly regarded analog synths for the sake of software convenience. The only one that I couldnā€™t part with is the Blofeld, which happens to be the cheapest of them all.

2 Likes

Cheers.
And I agree. This is the most underrated synth of probably all time lol.
It is amazing though.

1 Like

I just ordered one (after selling the last one a few years ago) and am looking forward to jumping back in. Shadow Edition this time!

For anyone interested, there is a Bitstream 3X library template available for it.

I havenā€™t tried this combo yet, but if you already use a Bitstream to control your Octatrack it might be worth checking out.

2 Likes

Here is and simple and efficient Blofeld editor

I sold it for a Micromonsta. Should receive it today, too late now. :cry:

BS3X can be powerfull with OT, but you need a computer for full control. Sold.

hi guys . having a bit problem with blo . I changed it to my other synthesizer and now I am tormented by a misunderstanding, they slipped me a damaged synthesizer or I am doing something wrongā€¦ It seems that at the output of the program some kind of limiter or compressor is at the Waldorf, I fucking canā€™t understand. Shit sound starts up as strange as everything and is overloaded if I add resonance or release. And yes, such a sound from the stereo output and headphones. Please help if anyone know how to fix it . I add recordings with this problem.

It sounds like a few possible things.
But most likely #1

1. You are simply overloading the outputs by playing many voices on top of each other.

As you increase the release, the voices layer up increasing the overall internal volume until the DAC (or output Op Amp) is railed.

In this case you probably just need to turn down the volume at the Oscillators or the Amplifier volume in the settings just before the effects section.

1. Changing FX settings ā€œliveā€ can cause cracking and sounds to break up. Blofeld FX are definitely ā€œset and forgetā€ vs performance FX.

Try my suggestion for #1. I donā€™t think anything is wrong with your Blofeld.

Questions for users Digitone and Blofeld.
How fast does Blofeld switch in multi mode? Are there any delays when changing patches?
How does Blofeld behave when controlled via midi cc messages?
What are the cons of using these two devices?
Is it possible to play polyphonic parts from Digitone to Blofeld?
And the main question - does the arpeggiator in Blofeld work synchronously when used via midi from Digitone?

Blofeld is a quirky synth but once youā€™ve nailed the right settings, its very good. Iā€™ve never tried switching multis in the middle of sequencing but all the other points you asked are fine once you understand its quirks. I donā€™t even clock it anymore, just set the BPM the same as whatever is sequencing it, and many of the issues go away.

Digitone and Blofeld together can sound a bit mushy though, in my limited experience.