VOTING - Open Battle #03: ”Collabed”

it seems YT decided recently to show ads on my channel (and I can’t do anything about that…) so sorry for the inconvenience.

Wow!

It’s another Friday night and a re-listen of this battle is something I’ve been looking forward to. So many reasons.

If you don’t mind….

Second time around tonight and before the first cycle I was already planning this reply. You guys are so good. I’d like to give as much feedback as possible and I have a little pocket of time seeings as the famalam are in bed :wink:

1. Exposed Aggregate
    2 weeks ago
    10 minutes ago
    NOW…… straight up first place on this badboy. RAW AF. Two of my dogs coming together and ruffing a ting up like they’re at ROCK AM Ring or some shit. Calm the fuck down, winners already winning. First and last thought. This wins.

Technically, I loved the sounds banging into my headphones. If I had to call it I’d say that first sound is literally a live cable being touched. It was also very well mixed. So balanced.

I’d like to collaborate with the pair of ya.

1. Grain Elevator
    These boys have a tight sound. Everything fits so well and I can’t help but like it. That distortion sounds sooooooo freaking good. What did you use? I’m going to say Soundtoys plugins or some other plugs. Nice housekeeping with the mix; bass in the middle and everything else has a nice use in the stereo field.
    As for me and my personal taste, I’m just not that laid back.

2. @Unifono and @plusn
    This is so well mixed. If we were to all collaborate I’d be picking up @Unifono for his mixing skills. Unbelievable bass line roller.
    Oooooooooo and now that acid tech vibe starts rolling in. Nice break!
    Ooooof!!! That breakdown. Yes. YES!!! 909 hats and an acid bassline. (((My ears being the age they are can’t help but cry out for some other sound. Never would’ve thought I’d hear myself say this but I want people to utilise something other than the classic Rolands.))) so good. So close to be ‘not vanilla’.
    *I’m in no way casting myself as the anything special, just simply giving an opinion.
    (Heck, the 909x808 is almost becoming as famous as the piano or violin.

On the whole, absolutely brilliant. A wonderful mix of all the sounds I like. ((((Wonderful. Don’t underestimate anything I’ve typed. Wonderful))))

1. /

2. Not my cuppa. I see it was a popular vote. Bah, my ears need those snares louder, rolled off low end on those pads, more EQ on the piano. That may be down to mixing preferences. I guess it works for some people by the looks of things…. I’m happy for you!

3. Anise Hyssop
    Good little track here. I’m unsure of the origin and the final destination. Beautiful strings and a lovely pallet of sounds here.

4. Eyes on the Wall
    Where to start!?!?
    Deep texture from the get go.
    Thought provoking and emotionally enduring. I’ve listened with and without the video many of times. An incredible stereo… and cerebral experience. This music, like any good music, navigates the listeners ear to within themselves. This song could mean an array of things to any one person. It’s very well mixed. Very well. No mud. Great stereo. (What I thought I recorded mine in lol)
    I closed my eyes for this track. Much better by itself. Normally, not a lot of processing is used for vocals but I like what they’ve done here. Very, very good.

7 Likes

Thanks for this very fun to read and flattering feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Final call for votes. Ends tomorrow. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

wow, thank you very much!
Glad you enjoyed the song and the mix.
I guess a very wet vocal is not too far off… when you take into consideration the video theme :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

anybody can and should vote on this.

6 Likes

just a few hours left and 28 votes so far. not bad I guess!

3 Likes

I’ve been out of town the past week and just got a chance this weekend to listen to all these. Really awesome tracks everyone!!

My vote went to @korpinen & @blakewalt’s submission. It’s a track that I would listen to again and again - the execution and style both please me :slight_smile:

Honorable mention to @HoldMyBeer & @plusn - this was my second favorite. I really enjoyed the sounds, the grooves, and the progression of the track!

Kudos to everyone who participated :clap:t4: these tracks are all impressive and a really inspiring use of this forum! Special thanks to @korpinen for the prompt and to both of my collaborators for your patience and creativity throughout the process :pray:t4:

7 Likes

Late to the party, but just in time to vote, nice work all and great initiative!

5 Likes

Thanks a lot to everyone who listened to the tracks and voted!

By the count of votes (and since I wasn’t eligible to host Open Battle again right after this one) it’d be @blakewalt’s task to come up with the brief for the next Open Battle. However, in a not very dramatic turn of events we decided to give the honours to @Fin25 and @ViolentMeals. If not for any other reason than the fact @ViolentMeals already won this challenge before a single musical entry had come to life for Collabed.

Looking at the positive energy around Collabed, I think it’s safe to say it was a success. It did take a bit longer than we perhaps expected so hopefully people will be ready for the next Open Battle soon!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and collaborated in this one!

5 Likes

I have ideas.

5 Likes

I will talk to @Fin25 about his ideas.

4 Likes

And I will ignore @ViolentMeals sensible advice and make you all do calypso covers of Michael Jackson bangers.

4 Likes

A M A Z I N G ! I cannot wait.

2 Likes

Not quite Calypso but

(Not mine)

2 Likes