Volumes

There’s no such thing as stupid questions, except for this one, feel ridiculous asking…
I think it’s great that the Models have a main volume and a level knob and a vol/dist knob as well as velocity control because I’m sure this is very useful at achieving some cool overall dynamic effects. I’m just wondering what your levels look like when recording.
Im often in a space where I don’t feel comfortable being super loud, but I want my recordings to be up front & present. I turn up the faders on the mixer & turn down the monitors a bit, but when I look back at the Cycles my main volume level is often down & I fear I may be overcompensating with the trig level knob & making everything a little too hot, which leads me to turn things down.

How much gain do you use on your monitor levels? How high is the main out on your mixer, compared to the input levels? What do you like your M:C’s main volume set on, compared to the trig level blue knob? I usually avoid the Vol/dist knob unless I’m looking for distortion.

Realize this is basic recording stuff but my brain sometimes fail me. I’m sure I can work it out through trial & error, just curious if anyone has a sort of template or if it changes every time.

My volume level philosophy:

• Track level and vol/dist set according to amount of overall/per-sound distortion/overdrive I want to use. Sometimes I want to blow out all of the tracks and drive the entire mix because I like how it sounds
  • Mixer input gain as high as it can go without clipping, then backed off a bit for some headroom
  • Mixer tracks set according to other things I may be trying to mix together; otherwise generally set as high as possible
  • Monitors/amp set to comfortable level

Generally I try to give the last thing in the chain the highest possible volume level to play with, before either clipping or making fine volume adjustments difficult. Better signal to noise ratio this way.