Volume levels- Octatrack mk2?

yeah, right, that was it.

Or MnM on AB, MD on the mixer > Alt 3/4 > CD
That way you can use the mixer to record different audio sources, add fx to MD individual outsā€¦

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for great tips @Augenadler!
Is all this really just for warming me up, regarding that tm-1 :wink: ?

ah you got me. should you ever find that you do not need it, you know where to find me.

1 Like

Aaaand: overdrive the gain stage of the mixer for some crunch on the MD. poor manā€™s distortion, can work wonders.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if you can use the control room and the alt 3/4 individually. Maybe headphones out is preferable for control roomā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t follow. Can you explain it to me, like Iā€™m a child (with great music taste)?

Youā€™ll check it when youā€™ll receive the mixer, wait for the stork.
Is your mackie a 802 Vlz4 ?
CR/SUBMIX pot is apparently used for Control Room and Submix (Alt 3/4). Iā€™d check manual to verify if thereā€™s individual control possible, or maybe a user like @victorcamposā€¦
It is possible to use Heaphones out anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, looking very much forward to trying it.

Manual says:

ā€œControl Room Outs
These TRS 1ā„4" balanced/unbalanced outputs
allow you to listen to something other than the main mix. These outputs are often used to run a nice pair of powered studio monitors in a control room. The source is selected using the source matrix [30] switches
(see page 19). You can choose to listen to the main mix, the alt 3-4 stereo bus (see mute/alt 3-4 on page 16), soloed channels, or the tape input. The volume is adjustable with the control room/submix [32] knob.
11. Phones
12. Phantom Switch and Led
This global switch controls the phantom power supply for condenser microphones plugged into the mic [1] inputs. See the phantom power details on page 11 before using this switch.
Press the switch in to engage phantom power to the three mic inputs. Press the switch out to turn it off.ā€

So, I could solo tracks, and then they would be sent to the OT. Itā€™s hard to wrap my head around this concept though.

Yeah, itā€™s normal, me too. :smile:
Not exactly a solo, 3/4 is an alternative output, you can use it to route audio to OT AB or CD inputs, for recording or add fx to MD and / or MnM for example.

Reading your manual quote, I think CR/Submix doesnā€™t control ALT OUT 3/4 output level, but CR OUT output level.

Iā€™d choose Main Mix as control room destination, but if you wish you can listen to ALT 3/4 only to check.

Ok. My new Mackie 802 vlz4 just arrived, and I think I need some help for the best setup.

I have the Octatrack, Machinedrum, Monomachine and a microphone going in to the mixer channels.

And the ALT our going into the Octatrack from the mixer, so I can chose which of these devices I want to sample.

My headphone monitoring is also set to ALT out, so when a track is muted/sent to ALT, I hear what the Octatrack hears.

But this makes it hard to sing to a track, as then the track on listening to in the headphones, also gets sent to the Octatrack, resulting in phasing.

Any ideas with this combo of mixer and Octatrack? Let me know, if the above explanation need clarification :slight_smile:

Itā€™s better to listen to the recorder, not the source. Iā€™d listen the mic with the OT (several monitoring possibilities), plugged in the mixer, and headphones assigned to main mix.

Meaning you donā€™t need to send ALT to headphones.

1 Like

Hmm, the mic needs to go through the mixer for phantom power. So you are saying I should have the headphones in the OT, not the mixer?

No, Iā€™m not.
Mic > mixer > alt > OT > mixer > headphones (main mix).

2 Likes

Ah ok. Can I still separate main speakers and headphones? So both arenā€™t playing simultaneously?

Apparently you can use CR/SUBMIX for control room / main speakers, and the Phones knob.

1 Like