Volume levels- Octatrack mk2?

Hi.
Just received my OT2.
It seems the main output is extremely hot - making it difficult for me to NOT have a separate mixer, between my OT2 and my speakers.

See video of my settings here: https://we.tl/t-7faTopk6Of

Also, headphone volume is extremely low.

Speakers: Genelec 8010a
Headphones: Beyerdynamics dt 770 (32ohm)

Any ideas what to try? Or do I really need a mixer with my OT and these speakers?

Did you check levels in mixer page?

1 Like

Yup. Check my video :frowning:

put the gain of your recording down …i usually dont touch that and leave it at 0 dB…+12dB explains that your output is “hot”…

I’d use a mixer with control room level.
Before you can lower MAIN in the mixer.

Concerning headphones, did you set Volume knob correctly? You can also use headphones out as monitoring.

Downloadable video is not practical.

1 Like

+12 I out of the box.

@sezare56 just bought a Mackie 802vlz5. Is that going to do the trick?

Yup, the 802VLZ4 has CR outs level separate from the main outs, I have one and like it quite a lot, only miss having stereo send as my FX chain is 100% stereo.

1 Like

Yeah 2 aux sends is better. It has a sub out, so it’s interesting for recording, but isn’t is shared with control room?

1 Like

I f*cking love this forum. Incredible response time and knowledge.

5 Likes

my first post on this forum was about this exact issue :blush:

OT Mk2 straight into monitors, super hot in comparison to the levels on my DT/DN (i actually had low levels on those, had gained up the monitors to suit and then the OT Mk2 was ridiculous in comparison)

solution: got a Mackie 1202VLZ4, for some reason i discounted a mixer in the overall picture… you’re 802 will be awesome :ok_hand:

1 Like

Wow. MD and OT learning in parallel.
Having a mixer is always a good option.

Iirc the mixer does send to seperate out on mute state. Great for routing into OTs inputs.

More or less my complete social media network here :wink: nice ppl and topics I’m interested un.

3 Likes

Haha. I seem to meet the same people over and over in here, with answers to all my questions :slight_smile:

We should do a meetup sometime, when you are all in…Denmark :smile:

Yeah, got my Monomachine 2 weeks ago, and Octatrack and Machinedrum this week.

I have had the Octatrack mk1 before though.

Btw - a routing a question:
Should I take the output from all three machines separately into the mixer, or run the MnM and MD through the Octatrack?

Can’t figure out, what would be better.

I don’t understand what you mean? (Even google “lirc” abbreviation, but nothing came up.)

If I recall correctly

1 Like

Whatever floats your boat.

As you have a compact setup, the routing is not really needed unless you want the MD and MnM sound on seperate outs for higher headroom.

Thru OT: able to record both (AB and CD)at the same time, add fx et al.
Thru mixer: routing to OT easy, but when both go to OT, they are on the same input (AB).
I’d go thru OT and when you get more stuff, thru mixer as it makes the routing easier.

2 Likes

If you want the MD or MnM with external send exf like delay, reverb or else, putting them through the mixer and having the efx on aux busses is also an option.

1 Like

You have to take into account, that I’m a noob around a mixer. I understand the pros/cons going from MnM+MD directly to mixer, of through the OT2.

But if I go directly through the mixer with all three machines, separately… and I want take route the MnM and MD back into the OT2, how would I go about it? And why would they have to be on one channel - as far as I see, I have several “outs” of the mixer. Hope they can be used for this?

longtime I had a mackie…

there’s a mute button on each track. enabling it mutes the channel on the main out and reroutes it to the output that’s name has fallen out of my mind :wink:
that enables you to record the muted track on the OT. But as that is only one bus, you can have only one instrument at a time routed to this. Or more, but then the signal arriving at OTs AB (or CD, depends on how you plug it) will carry both instruments.

maybe someone owning a mackie mixer can chime in?

but alas, for your current setup, I’d recommend MD on AB and MnM on CD and you’re fine.

1 Like

Alt 3/4

2 Likes