Volcas - which are your favorites?

Volca kick is king of the Volcas… manly cause it makes really nice kicks…

3 Likes

It also works really interestingly when played chromatically via midi too - like having a radically stripped-down MS-20 (well, MS-10, really) with a sequencer too.

2 Likes

The Keys, it’s the shit, sounds awesome and so nostalgic, and has a great filter.

6 Likes

I do need to get one at some point, and a Sample.

1 Like

All I want is a Volca that transforms any sample into a multi-textured wavetable that can be feedback modulated by an analog carrier with varied, complex waveforms. Is that too much to ask?

be cool if they released some volca “pro” models or somethin. a bit more fleshed out, with a 64 step sequencer n more internal fx kinda thing.

I just read this thread from the start and was surprised to see no mention of the Volca Drum until just a few posts ago. Was it not released until way later than the other Volcas? It’s a killer little drum synth, and fun to use as a source for sample chains in the Octatrack.

it’s the most recent one along with the modular if I’m not mistaken. think they came out at the same Time.

I’ve also really considered selling mine. I have the original drums, bass, FM and sampler. After using the Elektron and Roland MC gear I find the Volcas very limiting and hard to use. I tell myself I am going to sell them, then I see a video where they sound good and seem fun and I put it off.

Volca Drum was already great sequenced by DT.
VD one shot sampled by DT was already great.

Now that DT has external input mixer, Volca Drum turned to a drum synthesis addon for DT.
I didn’t find time yet to try that, but I’ll test it very soon.

DT sequenced VD back in DT input & reverbed & delayed, coupled with DT own sequenced samples, may be the perfect hybrid standalone drum generator I dream of for years :slight_smile:

4 Likes

January 2019; the Nubass is just slightly more recent though, from May of the same year.

2 Likes

But my favorite might be the Volca Sample, although I don’t need it much anymore…

7 Likes

I’d find it cool if they added an audio input to the Volca Kick (em kay two please Korg?). Given that it’s a resonating MS-20 filter, it would be sweet to have the unit also function as a sequencable filter/saturation box.

Hmm, at some point I’m sure I’ll try the Volca Kick! Only had groovy experiences with the Volca line so far, especially the Volca Sample.

2 Likes

I only have the Volca Drum, and it’s a crazy lil monster! The randomization feature is cool for getting very wacky and unexpected sounds out of it. Admittedly, you do have to be a bit more intentional and patient to craft “drum” sounds out of it that are more generally useful, but it’s not that difficult to accomplish. The wave guide on it can go really crazy, especially in string mode. Suuuper bassy when you tune it down.

Do people prefer the Volca Keys or Volca Bass. I’ve owned both but can’t remember, which I liked more. I’m thinking it was the Keys.

1 Like

I haven’t had either but I think Keys has a lovely sound to it. Maybe not that versatile but it’s definitely got a character to it.

5 Likes

This is spot on as well and such a lovely tone.

4 Likes

There look to be tons of used Volca Basses for sale here in Tokyo, but not many Keys. I managed to find one cheap Keys online so I went ahead and ordered it. Probably best to just start with that one and see if it fully scratches the itch. I didn’t have my Keystep when I owned the Bass and Keys back in the day, so it will be fun to mess around with that as well. I’m usually not a big synth person, but the simplicity (and size) of these is just so nice.

(Who am I kidding, I’ll probably own the Bass again soon enough or perhaps the modular instead).

4 Likes

Sample 4 life https://youtu.be/wPFeh_sRiXw

FM with Pajen firmware & Oscillatorsink patches. Plus a reverb.