Volcas - which are your favorites?

What electronic musical instrument isn’t ‘a toy’?
Does it depend on what people create with it or how it is constructed?

6 Likes

Are you sure you can access the 3 OSC from DT or any other MIDI controller. I cannot seem to do so from my end. Only one OSC.

I had it all (elektron devices, and other things), and recently bought again volcas. Why? Fun.

2 Likes

The volca bass through a distortion pedal is my favourite with the minifooger drive my favourite pairing. So heavy.

1 Like

I like the sample - it really would have been superb with an SD card. But in fairness Korg shared the sdk and all that.

However, still a great little compact riff finder.
Has a nice sound to it and a decent amount of control too. With a bit of effort you can upload a nice palette of samples and spend a lot of time with it. And it is a throw in the bag sort of box.

1 Like

I meant I’m sequencing the Volca Bass from OT. AFAIK it’s not possible to sequence the 3 VCOs with an external midi sequencer.

Sorry^^

1 Like

I have an external midi out mod on my Volca Bass and it will only send notes from one VCO track in the sequencer at a time.

1 Like

I had a volca FM but sold it when I was consolidating my setup. Thought the ipad could get me all the FM sounds I need. In a way it could, but i’m not a keyboard player, so everything i loved about FM was pretty much exclusive to the volca FM. It’s a much different experience than a DX7 or equivalent software even though the sound engine is the same, and for me it’s a much deeper and more fun approach. The biggest difference is the macro controls. Having dynamic AD envelope macro control over grouped modulator or carrier amplitudes simply isn’t possible on other FM synths. They’re such intuitive and elegant controls. The midi-able arp is great for adding fills. The motion sequencing keeps things fresh and “playing” the velocity slider is more expressive to me than traditional velocity sensitivity. Overall it’s just so much fun. I just reordered a used one because of this thread, hope I still have my curated patches somewhere on my computer…

4 Likes

I had them all, still have the sample and kick and just got the modular. The sample is my favorite but soundwise i like the modular best. It can sound weird or beautiful. Nice reverb too.

1 Like

My favorite is definitely the Volca Drum, especially with the pitch quantization update which I was not aware of until recently. In many ways it’s a worthy successor to the excellent ER-1. Incredible sound design possibilities. Love the part layering, wave guide resonator, wavefolding, layer randomizer, etc. To me it’s a modern classic. Second favorite is the Volca FM. Some people take issue with it sounding different than a DX7 but its unique FM sound is one of the reasons why I like it. I also enjoy the Volca Sample and Volca Beats.

5 Likes

I want my favorite to be the volca drum as well, but they aren’t available anywhere in the states at regular price at least.

I’ve had most of the classic Volcas, and sold on all but the Sample (Pajen!).

Never had the Beats, because I thought it sounded so awful.

Suddenly I have some analog drum fever, and can’t get my hands on an MFB.

So I’m thinking of buying a Beats.
(and get the snare mod done eventually)

1 Like

I just got a volca drum, I was thinking mainly to sample it. But it is a really impressive little synth. I really like how it sounds and how powerful/versatile it is. Seems like this + a DN could be an awesome, good value combo.

2 Likes

Volca Drum is a fave as it has a unique sound which is pleasant to my ears. The Volca Bass is a little monster! But of all of them my favourite is the Volca Sample, love the design, the cheapness and the sound. Then again I’m nuts for samplers so of course it’s my favourite.

Big fan of the Kick, FM, and Keys! I haven’t played with the sample myself but it seems pretty sick. The FM was actually my first synth back when it was relatively new and it’s the reason I’m into FM synths now.

1 Like

I only have the Volca Kick to sample from.
The Volcas are generally too small and wonky for my taste.

I had them all.
I sold some of them.

I kept bass, nubass, kick (a great 303 bass for adults), keys and sample.

-Beats can make great hi-hats, the rest doesn’t sound important to me.
(I have an AR too…)
-fm is not important. I have a Digitone.
-Drum sounds too artificial/crazy for me.
-modular is a good start. But actually you need 10 modulars…

yea keys, nubass, kick, & bass for me.

I have drum n it’s pretty amazing tho I tend to not really know what I’m doing with the layers.

love the random features on drum n nubass. wish the older models would get those features in an update.

sample looks cool too, never used it tho. as does modular. really good.

I hope they keep the line going.
hope TE keep the PO line going too. would love a po303 n a poDrone polysynth with Big reverb.

I like the Pajen Sample so much I ended up grabbing 2! One is my 4 voice poly filled with single cycle waveforms; I use the other one for percussive noises with the 99 single hits mode. Both sequenced with a Launchpad Pro 3.

I’m not the world’s biggest FM fan, but on the basis of how great the Pajen Sample FW is I’m tempted by the Volca FM to get the full Dexed box experience.

2 Likes

Drums was long time my fav, but… multitracking is not that easy.
Kick has one voice… And sounds great to my ears.

1 Like