Volca Sample vs. the World

Not mine. But thought I’d post. Nice dual Volca Sample jams.

3 Likes

i like it @4:00 and @1:25

Got some fun tonight with the groovy little white box (through A4 chorus).

It’s raw, too long, far from finished, but got me moving and wanting to share.

http://soundcloud.com/lying-dalai/vsboc-draft-version

1 Like

Hello guys i have one question!

I own also a Maschine 2 and was wondering if i could control my volca through the M2?

I was thinking to be able to play and record the volca samples through the pads of Maschine 2 while maschine is functional.

The main reason to do that is that i find it difficult to finger drum in volca and want to use effects and functions from Maschine like delays, note repeat etc
Also i want to record jams from volca and loop them inside maschine cause there is no microtiming option in volca and most of the times i am out of grid when trying to record on the fly inside Volca

Do you think its possible?

I haven’t used Maschine but have a volca sample and love it except for the midi implementation. It requires a separate midi channel per voice. Which depending on how Maschine works might be kind of a hassle for you to setup. But I’d guess at it being possible as long as you can assign separate midi channels to separate pads in Maschine. For the things you want to do would it not just be easier to do everything inside Maschine though and add a bit reduction VST like Decimort 2 to get the Volca sample grit?

Its definitely possible though you will have to spend a while setting it up due to the separate midi channels mentioned above.

There is a special cable out there from Retrokits that basically takes a single MIDI channel and maps it dynamically to the Sample. "Not only does the RK-002 remap the MIDI channels, per sample channel it is also able to translate velocity, pitch and modulation data. "

I haven’t used this myself, but thought it may be of interest.

Thanks guys that cable looks nice solution!

I am currently exchanging messages with Gerrit from Retrokits.
Not yet convinced the current product fully respond to my needs.

So I proposed the following behavior :

OT => 100 CC mapped on one MIDI channel => RK-00x => 10CC x 10 MIDI channels => Volca Sample

I think this way of mapping 1 MIDI channel on 10 would be really great.
More generally, this could be used to multiply the MIDI channels available when you run out of it and your synth (Volca, Shruthi, Blofeld in multimode) only use a bunch of CC.

What do you think of this ?
Would you buy such device ?
(35€ is the current price for the current RK-002)

I am currently exchanging messages with Gerrit from Retrokits.
Not yet convinced the current product fully respond to my needs.

So I proposed the following behavior :

OT => 100 CC mapped on one MIDI channel => RK-00x => 10CC x 10 MIDI channels => Volca Sample

I think this way of mapping 1 MIDI channel on 10 would be really great.
More generally, this could be used to multiply the MIDI channels available when you run out of it and your synth (Volca, Shruthi, Blofeld in multimode) only use a bunch of CC.

What do you think of this ?
Would you buy such device ?
(35€ is the current price for the current RK-002)
[/quote]
Can you map 100 CC on one OT midi track? I’ve not dug in to that side of things still, but I assumed you could only map one CC per OT knob, so 6 total? That’s pretty cool if that isn’t the case and there’s no limit :slight_smile:

Edit - sorry if I didn’t fully understand what you’re proposing, or if I’m just being really stupid, still getting my head around basic midi so I still only kind of half understand this stuff, at best :wink:

There are 2 pages for CC mapping on each MIDI track so you can map 4 + 6 CC for each of the 8 MIDI Track
Which is 80 CC in total on one OT.

Btw 10 CC is all that’s needed for a usual Volca, which is pretty cool :slight_smile:
(well, maybe 13 is the max CC, but with 10 you can already control the most useful)

I was talking about 100 to get the full palette of Volca Sample CC (10 MIDI channels x 10 CC), but you’re right, I doubt this would be that much needed.
BTW, I just checked, the Volca Sample accepts 11 CC in reality.
Whatever.

Today, one can control Volca Sample tracks from the OT (with 8 different MIDI channels).

With above proposition, you would be able e.g. to control separately the filters of each Volca Sample track on 1 OT track and the sample speed of every VS track on another.

• use only one MIDI channel for this.

Just curious, is KVGear still the best option to get a chainable power source for the Volcas? I’ve started using my Volca Sample a lot more, and just added the FM, but likely won’t get any of the other existing lineup. I guess I could use it to power my MS-20 Mini as well, but unless I grab another Sample/FM I’m not sure it’s worth spending $40 for a solution.

Debating picking up one of these up to act as a drum sampler for the OT. My idea would be to run it through a THRU track on my live OT set and sequence it with the 8 different MIDI channels on the OT. I figure I could print out a cheat sheet telling me which track has which sample number on the volca and then just change it live. Plus having the MIDI CC control over each sound would be dope. My only concern is the 32khz samples. How “lofi” does that make the stuff sound? I’d only be loading drum sounds up on this thing.

It’s like the sp-303 and its character. For some, unacceptable. For others, its an entire album.

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with that unit. Haha.

It sounds really good, IMO.
The only real pain with it is, for me, the lack of export.
I hate having to kill an ace groove, and 10 is just not enough.

could one of these be sequenced by the MIDI tracks on the DT? You say: it receives MIDI for each sample on a different MIDI track; but it can receive several tracks at once, I assume? Seems like a good option to expand the number of samples you can play on the DT if so. Could take care of the simpler parts where P-locks etc ain’t so important.

Yep, one track, one channel. I used to sequence one with my Octatrack. Eight midi tracks, eight drums. Pretty awesome combo. The character of the Volca Sample can’t be underlined enough. It really oozes with personality.

2 Likes

cool. another question: do you still need iOs to transfer samples onto it, or is there a Windows option?

There’s s great program called Vosyr available for macOS and Windows and it’s free. It can manage samples for the Volca Sample and can also be used as a pattern editor - including editing the motion sequencing for more precise control than is available on the unit.

https://www.frederikson-labs.com/

2 Likes