Volca Sample vs. the World

I always forget to do this and think it isn’t working.

You need to turn on the lock feature per track! Function + Motion Seq On/Off, or something like that.

Finally got round to updating my VS. Can’t get the step lock function to work tho. Feel like I’m doing everything the dude in the video is but it’s just not happening. Can someone lay out a quick Idiot’ s guide if they get a minute. Thanks.

EDIT -
I’m getting a weird behavior where if I hold a step and tweak it just results in the normal parameter change across all steps. But then if I turn on motion seq on/off afterwards then the plocks I just made are in place?! But the guy in the video seems to be able to change one step without changing others, while hearing his changes live with the sequencer running… Confused… [/quote]
Quick bump. No joy with this :frowning: Plock/automation behavior seems basically the same as it was. Can’t just hold a step and tweak a parameter to record the automation to that step only. The automation is recorded across full pattern/all steps, the same as it always did. Wondering if the update didn’t work properly or I’m missing something really simple. Although VS displays that it’s on latest version now and I’m basically mimicking what the guy in the video is doing… [/quote]
I always did those p-locks without the sequencer running. When I had the sequencer running, I had trouble getting it to work, kind of similar to what you’re describing.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. Weird that you and I both couldn’t get this working like in the video. Looks ridiculously simple. It’s bugging me now… Will try again tonight and if no luck I’ll try to repeat the update in case something went wrong last time… [/quote]
I’ve had no problem with getting the parameter locks to work. I will say this: for any “unlocked” steps, the parameter will change to whatever you are adjusting the parameter on the step you are locking. For instance, if you are adjusting the decay on a hi-hat, the decay on all the steps that don’t have locks for decay will sound like what you’re adjusting them to until you readjust the decay on the global setting for all the steps of that voice. (So, if you’re trying to make one decay 27 while the others are opened to 127, it will sound like 27 27 27 27 until you turn the knob back on the VS back to 127, then you will get 127 27 127 127, as an example.) You can work around this by simply “motion sequencing” the parameter to the full (or desired main) amount (after clearing the motion sequence to prepare the track for parameter locking), then entering the per step changes, although it sometimes gets a little wonky. I like to enter my changes with the sequencer off because of this, but it can be done.
You also need to run all of the note triggers on (step 1 - 16) (I believe, I could be wrong on this, but it’s how I’ve done it with great success) with motion sequence before clearing the motion sequence in order to activate parameter locks.
I will also offer this tip: I set an “init” memory, with it set up to parameter lock so that I can just start with parameter locking each time. I basically ran all the tracks with motion sequence on, then deleted the motion sequence and the note triggers. Then I saved that “empty but prepared” track to a memory so that it is ready to go.
Also, I haven’t seen this mentioned on the thread (or I missed it, forgive me), but if you hold down the step, then press and hold function, then turn the speed knob, you can enter notes from -24 to +24 semitones. It’s an absolute game-changer for programming melodies.

Are your volumes set correctly? Max on your transferring device, min on the volca…[/quote]
Volume is important (up on the device you’re transferring samples from, down on the Volca Sample… unless you like modem sounds).

It may also be an issue with the memory. The memory updates linearly, not on the whole (this is why you can change one sample quickly, but loading up the entire Volca Sample takes time). It goes through the memory sample by sample, so if you have a large sample at the end of your memory (location 99, for instance), it may run out of memory early even as it replaces relatively small samples. (Although this would give a different error message: Err FuLL.

Ahh–but looking up that specific error message reminded me of this, from the Korg website:[font=‘AXIS Font Latin W04’, ‘ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3’, ‘Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro’, Arial, sans-serif]Q: I get this error: “Err dcod” A: Alerts sounds can get in the way of the transfer. Putting your iPhone into airplane mode during transfer is a good idea if you get lots of alerts. - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_sample/faq.php#sthash.I6rSGuhJ.dpuf

I was having this error message before I read this; I put my computer in airplane mode and the problem went away. I had forgotten about that.

Still, you may want to clear the memory/delete the samples before loading, especially if you are using most of the available memory. If you don’t know how to do this, Korg conveniently references the a PDF in the Volca Sample FAQ that I can’t find on their site, but the process is:

Turn on the Volca Sample while holding the Mute button. Use the Sample selector to select a sample. Part > will mark the sample for deletion; part < will unmark the sample if you change your mind. If you hold down the Part > you can mark a succession of samples for deletion. Press the REC button when you’ve selected the samples to be deleted.

That FAQ mentions that there is a Delete All function, but it is referenced (I guess; going to have to take Korg’s word on this one!) in the 1.22 update PDF, and my Volca Sample only came with a printout for 1.2. If anyone knows this protocol, could they please post it? I would really appreciate it.

Finally got round to updating my VS. Can’t get the step lock function to work tho. Feel like I’m doing everything the dude in the video is but it’s just not happening. Can someone lay out a quick Idiot’ s guide if they get a minute. Thanks.

EDIT -
I’m getting a weird behavior where if I hold a step and tweak it just results in the normal parameter change across all steps. But then if I turn on motion seq on/off afterwards then the plocks I just made are in place?! But the guy in the video seems to be able to change one step without changing others, while hearing his changes live with the sequencer running… Confused… [/quote]
Quick bump. No joy with this :frowning: Plock/automation behavior seems basically the same as it was. Can’t just hold a step and tweak a parameter to record the automation to that step only. The automation is recorded across full pattern/all steps, the same as it always did. Wondering if the update didn’t work properly or I’m missing something really simple. Although VS displays that it’s on latest version now and I’m basically mimicking what the guy in the video is doing… [/quote]
I always did those p-locks without the sequencer running. When I had the sequencer running, I had trouble getting it to work, kind of similar to what you’re describing.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. Weird that you and I both couldn’t get this working like in the video. Looks ridiculously simple. It’s bugging me now… Will try again tonight and if no luck I’ll try to repeat the update in case something went wrong last time… [/quote]
I’ve had no problem with getting the parameter locks to work. I will say this: for any “unlocked” steps, the parameter will change to whatever you are adjusting the parameter on the step you are locking. For instance, if you are adjusting the decay on a hi-hat, the decay on all the steps that don’t have locks for decay will sound like what you’re adjusting them to until you readjust the decay on the global setting for all the steps of that voice. (So, if you’re trying to make one decay 27 while the others are opened to 127, it will sound like 27 27 27 27 until you turn the knob back on the VS back to 127, then you will get 127 27 127 127, as an example.) You can work around this by simply “motion sequencing” the parameter to the full (or desired main) amount (after clearing the motion sequence to prepare the track for parameter locking), then entering the per step changes, although it sometimes gets a little wonky. I like to enter my changes with the sequencer off because of this, but it can be done.
You also need to run all of the note triggers on (step 1 - 16) (I believe, I could be wrong on this, but it’s how I’ve done it with great success) with motion sequence before clearing the motion sequence in order to activate parameter locks.
I will also offer this tip: I set an “init” memory, with it set up to parameter lock so that I can just start with parameter locking each time. I basically ran all the tracks with motion sequence on, then deleted the motion sequence and the note triggers. Then I saved that “empty but prepared” track to a memory so that it is ready to go.
Also, I haven’t seen this mentioned on the thread (or I missed it, forgive me), but if you hold down the step, then press and hold function, then turn the speed knob, you can enter notes from -24 to +24 semitones. It’s an absolute game-changer for programming melodies.[/quote]
Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I think this will solve it :wink: I was assuming the plocks setup was same as OT. Didn’t occur to me that EVERY step might have to be locked to get it to behave how I assumed it would! Guess the guy in the video already locked the other steps in that pattern. That’s why I was getting so confused trying to get locks going! Great tip about the semitones buttons combo too, thanks man.

just picked up a volca sample. didn’t see mention of this so thought i’d drop a link…

http://www.frederikson-labs.com/#download

Love the Volca Sample. So much fun!

I posted that on page 1 of the thread :slight_smile: But yes great editor!

I posted that on page 1 of the thread :slight_smile: But yes great editor![/quote]
haha, dang! i searched vosyr not frederikson. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link to

frederikson labs and thank them for the great editor !!

great thread,

the volca sampler is like an instrument
it’s so funky !

imagine an octatrack mkII working like this:
no menus, just your ears …

^ I keep considering whether to get another VS making a trio, very much a fun instrument that is a joy to use, an Octatrack version would be a desktop instrument literally - in that it would take up a whole desk to itself :joy:

If the VS had a little more sample time (about double) and individual track lengths it would be almost perfect, but as-is and for the price it gets pretty damn close.

The OT though, it is a total powerhouse isn’t it?

VS & OT - 2 devices at opposite ends of the sampling spectrum that work great alone or together. Winner!

i’m completely bowled over by how amazing this little box is. granted, i just started using it last night but it has more than impressed me for something so (relatively) inexpensive. i’m already thinking about picking up another one for myself and one for my brother for xmas. i wish this had been my first volca purchase instead of the keys. i might have stopped at the sample. i keep trying to figure out if the bass would be a worthy purchase (kind of getting a GAS/completist mental vibe at the moment).

darenager, i feel you on getting a third!

has anyone bought a stacked stand for their volcas? i’ve seen a few that are out there but they all have issues (for me); some rely on tension to hold them in, some lack space for cables, some take up too much desktop space, defeating the purpose of the small boxes. i also don’t like that so many people post pics without their boxes wired up. yeah, it looks nice and neat but it doesn’t show the reality of four connective cables running out of each unit.

Love mine. If you invest the time into step edit you’re rewarded with a loop you can bail out to when nothing else is working.
The reverb and eq is fantastic.
You can solo on it like a dream
I put mine through an RNC for extra awesome.
I wish it had a line in and I wish the electribe2 was just a bigger version with better knob control and a bigger display.

@theeattre - I’d give the Bass a miss if you don’t like the Keys, I think the Bass is the weakest of the bunch, the filter is a bit boring and unpleasant sounding, I think that the 3 oscillators are running too hot internally into the filter and it overdrives in a non pleasing way. I will eventually mod mine to try to reduce the level. I tend to use it for simple Juno type chords more than bass as I have many other synths that can do far better. If you do not have a Monotribe then might be worth a look, but maybe I am somewhat biased as I have 12 of them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (don’t ask!)

Yes I had a look at the available stands and came to the same conclusion, I ended up making a perspex one where they are all in a line, just 2 bends using a hot wire bender at local hackspace.

don’t get me wrong, the keys is a fun box, i just felt like i hit a wall with it pretty quickly. the sample, so far, feels like it has way more performance potential for my wants/needs.

12 monotribes!? nice! :slight_smile:

will more than likely hit up a friends wood shop and knock a stand out of some scrap.

that looks nice!!! thanks!

polymono, for sure! glad i could re-post the link for those who might have missed darenager’s link on page 1. :slight_smile:

i know it’s been mentioned by others but i can’t help but feel the success of this volca, the reason it’s so fun, is the simplicity and speed that comes from a complete lack of menu diving. everything happens so fast on this box!

On a sidenote, though related in some way, I’ve come to use the Caustic Soda editor for my general sample editing as well. It’s lo-fi, to be sure. but there’s something appealing with its direct approach that makes it easy to get good stuff out from it.

Kind of like the Volca Sample. They’re related in more ways than one.

I have tried other sample editors, but zillions of options like those stars in the sky, a trillion menus like all the grains of sand in the desert, all those lovely screens with their buttons and switches like night lights in New York City, just confuses me.

There, that’s me being poetic again, but that’s cool, I know you all love it.

1 Like

I just bought one, begrudgingly, because I think having only 10 pattern slots and no backup is pretty insane in this day and age, and makes the machine far less useful than it could be for live use. We’ll see how it goes. How are you guys getting around that?

Vosyr can help you expand that memory (it can store sequences and samples), if a live gig for you involves a computer.

http://www.frederikson-labs.com/

This guy offers J74 VolcaControl (not Vsample yet) which are interesting:

http://fabriziopoce.com/volcacontrol.html