Volca Sample 2

It’s a lot quicker to transfer the new 8MB amount compared to the audio data transfer of the 4MB amount. The Librarian app can also retrieve both the pattern and sample state from the VS2 and save it on your computer as an individual file, thus giving you the ability to load “songs.”

3 Likes

Just checked the noisefloor, I’m not getting any hum out of my unit. I’m running 1/8" headphone stereo from the VS2 into my Digitakt inputs. I do remember this being more of an issue with the previous version. I love the crunch on this thing, just loaded up a bunch of custom samples through the librarian, which I’m assuming also downsamples it to the standard VS sample rate before transferring it.

4 Likes

Anyone know of a demo where they show what’s new in pattern change and step jump?

I had a VS on backorder. I wanted to keep things compact and it’s identical form factor to the VD and VM was appealing. During the time it was on backorder I watched enough YT videos about the VS and, more importantly, other videos that came up as “related” but about the M:S . . .

Well, when I stumbled upon an “open box” M:S for $104 more than the VS, it became a no brainer. Even at full price the M:S is way more than twice as capable as the VS. I just can’t see the VS being competitive anymore beyond kids saving up their lunch money.

It’s the sound. VS will be a classic in a way that MS will never be.

3 Likes

Curse anyone who puts a micro usb on any device in 2020. Including you Elektron. To the gulag!

1 Like

Okay - I’m going to guess that instead of being instant pattern change, like it is now, the ‘option’ will be the more common behaviour of change at end of pattern.

As for step jump - maybe the new thing is that when you release the step jump combination the sequencer will return to whatever step it would have been on if you hadn’t interrupted it - good for remaining in sync bar-wise with whatever else you’re using

M:S is way way better.

1 Like

Will there be any updates for the unit or it is perfect already?

I have just ordered VS2 and waiting for it. I used to have MS but sold it for a good price after two years of use. Was thinking on getting new MS but decided to go with a cheaper and smaller unit with a built in speaker. For fun!

This thread made me miss my Volca Sample.
I use to love it quite a bit; there’s this looped chord I’ve been using to death on my Digitakt since forever… wonder if that would apply to other samples (ie. recording a sample > uploading to the Volca for sample rate conversion > resampling to Digitakt).

You can reduce bitrate of the sample in audacity. I don’t think you’ll feel the difference.

1 Like

Just found out that Ver1 can do Song mode but not Ver.2. So in Ver.2 they added more memory for samples but removed song mode that makes me thinking that they didn’t add any memory but just made use of song mode memory for samples by cutting song mode. Am I mistaken?

Maybe, but not sure?
I would assume the memory of a song pattern would be considerably smaller than just the shortest „clack“ sample. Just a hunch though :thinking:

You know, sort of like a .txt file with a handful of numbers and spaces in it, compared to a .wav file

3 Likes

I had the same thought. If in V1 they set aside memory for thousands of songs, maybe

yeah I was actually thinking of manipulating the samples with the volca as well, but thanks for the advice <3

1 Like

How to do it? I tried to select samples from Volca and drag them to the desktop but it didn’t work.

Who is Pajen and how can we ask to make a new firmware for Volca Ver.2?

1 Like

I think you have to select “Export Samples” from the File menu, there’s no drag and drop.

Yes but it doesn’t do anything. It doesn’t open any folder where I want to save. I’ll try that again thanks!