Volca Sample 2

4 Likes

oh boy, I thought it would be an Octa sized Volca Series by now…

1 Like

This really didn’t warrants a V2 imo, they should have added more to it than this… Seems like a cash grab to me. Korg was definitely better with Tatsuya.

Love my Volca sample though, it’s incredible now with Pajen’s firmware

4 Likes

Nothing much seems to have changed? I hope they made the beehive-noisefloor a little better – even though it was kinda cool in its own way.

Never really cared about memory size on this thing, usually I had it loaded with small one-shot samples anyways, all of these took a 1 MB at max. The new software for file management is neat I guess. The new step jump mode could be interesting for improving the playability of the unit, though I never used it when it was playing alongside my other machines.

1 Like

Nothing really new. There’s a USB port but you’re now tied to their librarian… Can do pattern backups though.

Start offset is cool but not “mk2 cool”. Feels like they changed the structure only to block Pajen firmware. Yet, no native chromatic playing.

Let’s face it: M:S is a better mk2.

7 Likes

shoulda added onboard sampling or somink big like.

3 Likes

Yeah, Pajen firmware Volca Sample >>>>>> this

Should have hired Pajen or bought the firmware and built around that.

4 Likes

Though, it has twice the memory of the mk1, 8MB isn´t that much… I´m pretty happy with my mk1 with Pajen-firmware.

1 Like

I’d be interested just to get some new sounds in the box more easily. I’ve made a couple good tracks with the Volca Sample, strangely.

Wow! Just learned about the Pajen firmware. Seems Pajen already made the MK2 for them. Korg should hire that person.

3 Likes

i too gotta say they should have hired Pajen. its still only 16 patterns with 16 steps. that doesnt seem like mk2 more like mk1.25. it should at least have 64 steps. the original with pajen firmware is better than this imo.

1 Like

Pajen firmware was the first thing I thought of, too, when I saw this.

The new Pokemon metronome looks cute.

Also the new custom panel for NTS-1 for Arduino interfacing or something.

Its kinda cool that you can sample with the phone app and send to the volca sample 2 via bluetooth.

Other than that its a rather half necessary yet boring update.

M:S for the win.

3 Likes

What a lame ass upgrade. WOW! Jesus man why even waste the time and resources to produce this.

Clearly Volca’s are super popular. I can think of at least 5 different ideas for new Volca’s but THIS is what Korg decides to release. So dumb.

1 Like

Ugh, micro USB.

Not a big enough difference to justify an upgrade, the Pajen firmware seems more appealing than this, and since it likely isn’t compatible with Pajen probably best to stick with the original.

They didn’t even give it a new look.

4 Likes

Yeah the lack of a new look is really odd to me… makes me think maybe they needed to do some sort of update for a different manufacturing reason and decided to add a few features in the process.

1 Like

Never have I swung from excited to gutted so speedily…
:confused:

2 Likes

So the USB shows the sample up as an external drive? Wasn’t able to decipher whether that is the case …

Still like the mk1 and enjoy the hassle of having to commit to a fixed pool of samples via an awkward upload.
Limitations in a world of excess are a great thing for focus.

3 Likes

Sactly

If Korg doesn’t jack up the price, it isn’t a bad upgrade. 3 voice poly up to 8, increased memory, etc.

I doubt it’ll be of interest to the well-heeled gents who have SSL-SIX mixers, multi-thousand dollar Eurorack systems, boutique FX pedals, etc. For poorer people though who want something this, it’s a boon - again assuming no major price increase.

For the sake of the poor though, I’m more concerned about stores taking advantage of customers confused by the old and new versions having the same product name. Old version should be put on clearance sale or otherwise discounted to a fair price and new version should be priced like the old version was. Unscrupulous stores will sell both versions at the same price.

2 Likes