Visual bar count (midi) solution?

So, an issue I sometimes have is, I have structured musical sequences that are a fixed number of bars long. I drop out the drums and bass for a middle 8 or instrumental part, play some dreamy pads…and realise I’m not counting and have no idea where I’m coming back into my sequence.
What would be cool is if I had a visual indicator like the 4 (now 8) lights on the Digitakt kept in sync with my sequencer via midi.

Assuming anyone has a clue what I’m describing here, does such a thing exist (without buying a Digitakt II just to use it as a sequencer and timing guide!).

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is helpful but on the OT I usually have at least one track running at a much slower speed and using 4 pages, maybe a thru track. I can use that as a rough indicator for a longer number of bars.

I don’t have a DT but it looks like it has pretty much the same per track functionality? -

looks like there are several solutions to a similar query here:

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/889932-midi-light-metronome.html

one is this, I guess it’s a midi sync metronome that strobes (or even can create a tactile pulse to it’s little strap on receptor thing). that’s what I searched for (a strobing midi sync metronome) and I think this does it.

1 Like

I have often thought of making something like this, it would be pretty simple using Arduino, Pi Pico, Microbit or similar. My idea was to have 4 or 8 leds to show current bar, and 4 leds to show current beat.

I simply have not had the time to do it though :man_shrugging: One day :smile:

1 Like

Maybe this script for Moziac on iOS,…

Big Host Clock v1.5 | Patchstorage

1 Like

Ooooo, I knew you guys would dish up the goods. Well, the recipe book if not the casserole.
I am thinking it might be necessary to make something myself and one of the articles mentioned using a Launchpad for visuals so now I’m wondering if I can program something in Midihub to give me both a beat metronome and a bar count triggering the pads on the LPP accordingly.

Thanks for the inspiration and for the vocabulary to search Google for more ideas.