Virtual Analog Wave Kit for The Elektron Digitone

Please keep us posted, really looking forward :slight_smile:

Finished the patches tonight. Octave matching, categorizing, and shooting the demo tomorrow. More the details will be in the video. Thanks for being so patient!

15 Likes

Here it is,

The pack is 30 sounds for $4.

My first sound pack and my first demo video in which I noodle a bunch, Demo 12 patches, and chat with my digitone. (It’s kind of a talker.)

Still trying to figure out how to screencap an oscilloscope VST, but anybody with a scope is welcome to share what you find.

The patches are ordered in groups (I.e. saws, squares, folders, etc.) And deviate in stability as you go through the group. Never losing their waveshape entirely, but instead sacrificing stability of shape for more natural phasing and randomized quirks in order to emmulate different qualities inherent in different synths.

There’s also an additive organ. (Feature in the end of the video.) and my most beloved creation, a gnarly square wave distortion model meant to take this synth into some truly gritty territory.

Details on how the patches work are in the video, but we’ll explore this more in part 2 soon when I get screen cap working.

Thanks for waiting, I hope you enjoy it!

Here it is,

The pack is 30 sounds for $4.

My first sound pack and my first demo video in which I noodle a bunch, Demo 12 patches, and chat with my digitone. (It’s kind of a talker.)

Still trying to figure out how to screencap an oscilloscope VST, but anybody with a scope is welcome to share what you find.

The patches are ordered in groups (I.e. saws, squares, folders, etc.) And deviate in stability as you go through the group. Never losing their waveshape entirely, but instead sacrificing stability of shape for more natural phasing and randomized quirks in order to emmulate different qualities inherent in different synths.

There’s also an additive organ. (Feature in the end of the video.) and my most beloved creation, a gnarly square wave distortion model meant to take this synth into some truly gritty territory.

Details on how the patches work are in the video, but we’ll explore this more in part 2 soon when I get screen cap working.

Thanks for waiting, I hope you enjoy it!

Link to purchase:

19 Likes

I enjoyed your demo vid!

1 Like

Sounds great, and I guess the video is a bit cutesie, but it would’ve been easier to follow with a more traditional talk through. When you say Performance Macros, do you mean PB, AT, MW and BC? So, forgive me as I don’t recal exactly as my mate has had a loan of my Digitone for a few months, but does that mean you can plock those values without using the midi loopback (or an external sequencer)?

Also, do you have descriptions included in the pack of what the performance controls do to each sound?

Won’t stop me picking up the pack but it’d be great to know.

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

To capture an oscilloscope on screen, open your DAW and open something like ‘Spectrum’ in Ableton.

Next install OBS, a free capture software. Then merge the two videos with something like Premiere or Vegas.

2 Likes

Including descriptions per patch is a good idea. I’ll make a google drive pdf to attach to the download and videos. Those are the macros I’m referring to and not all of them need those to be modulated in the way you would expect from an analog synth. But things like pulse width and some aspects of sync need multiple parameters to move simultaneously to get the desired effect.

They all play properly across the keyboard by default, and almost all of them are set and forget as far as manually offsetting the mod wheel, PB, AT, but if you were to try and sequence the pulse width at different depths. You’d need to make sure that the feedback and operator levels move together in a certain way. So plocking these easily would require midi loopback or an external sequencer.

The mod wheel takes care of this and the aftertouch pushes it farther, but there’s only so much analog behavior you can get out of adjusting one value at a time.

But this isn’t the case for all of them and although a couple might require some patience to adjust per step. The vast majority are pretty straightforward. If you look at the setup menu for the Mod Wheel on the patch it will show you the 4 (maximum) parameters that are being moved and what depths they go to. Then you can just move those depths on a per step basis instead.

I’ll speak over the next one and spend some time on this. It would probably be good to totally break down an extreme example of this, so I’ll make sure do that!

2 Likes

Thanks for checking it out! I’m using OBS and Moscilloscope currently but OBS doesn’t appear which I guess is a problem with VSTs. Spectrum does show up however, so spectrum analysis is guaranteed when I finish the 2nd video on some of the more ambitious patches.

I’m going to try capturing an external display today. Hopefully it works, but it’ll get done for sure.

1 Like

These sound great and are going to be super useful. Got some really nice brassy tones out of some of the saw patches, with some aggressive resonance and filter envelopes. And really like the modwheel performance macros, they’re dialed in really nicely on the wavetable and PWM patches. Definitely worth my $4!

I’d also second a request for patch notes!

As an aside, I’m planning a studio retreat where space will likely be tight, and thought I’d need to bring an analog poly alongside my DT and DN for some analog sounds. These patches legit have me reconsidering as they might actually get the job done

1 Like

Worth $4 for the organ alone. :open_mouth:

1 Like

hey, just a satisfied customer over here, loaded the patches onto my DTKeys- great VA sounds and great performance mappings! Really impressed by the sync and pwm patches, and the phase bass is great.

1 Like

Congrats! This is impressive! (Sells his A4)

“The aftertouch makes me itch”

1 Like

I just wanted to add myself to the list of satisfied customers. Great pack! :clap:

1 Like

Really happy that these are getting some use. I’ll have part 2 of the video up next week, taking a brief break and working on something special for the Digitakt. Thanks for your support everyone, I’m looking forward to make sound design a bigger part of my creative experience!

4 Likes

I just picked these up. Great work.
I now feel like my Digitone Keys is a brand new analog poly!

I picked this up a while ago, but forgot to report back. Great pack and well worth the price.

Appreciate all of the Feedback. It means a lot that these are out there being used to make music! If you’ve enjoyed this sound pack please do me a favor and take a minute to rate it on Gumroad. It would be extremely helpful as I start trying to do this more often.

Also, I’m working on something a bit like this for the Digitakt, and if you subscribe to updates I think you’ll find that something pretty useful will appear very soon :wink:

P.S. Double Also, If you check back here on Monday I’ll finally have that patch documentation for you!

2 Likes

Video of it in use:

5 Likes

Still working on this by the way. I procrastinated a bit too long and now I’m dealing with some health stuff that’s slowed me down quite a bit. But it should be resolved by mid-late June (Knock on wood). I can’t wait to get back to playing and patching!

No point in waiting a month to drop what I have so far though. So here’s the first half of the documentation :ok_hand:t4:

I tried to put it together in a way that’s as fun for me to make as it is useful for you. But let me know if you have any questions or requests and I’ll get to them when I can!

VA WaveKit Documentation 1-14.zip (40.8 KB)

Examples:

5 Likes