Virtual Acoustic Instruments in 2024?

A lot of what’s on the internet at the moment about
Samples vs Physical Modelling vs Hybrid etc is ancient news and probably doesn’t apply in 2024

I’ve gone down this rabbit hole, for the past two days and can’t decide what’s good since all old forum posts contradict each other.

I’m mainly interested in:

• Piano
  • Acoustic/Electric Guitar and Bass
  • Orchestral strings (low to high, different articulations)
  • All kinds of drum kits that are tuneable
  • Misc Percussion
  • Wind
  • Brass
  • World sounds

I also want them to sound realistic. It’s a shame that Roli didn’t build on top of Equator 2 because it sounds really nice - but there’s only a single piano and I doubt they will release any updates.

I’ve checked out the Yamahas, but as far as I can tell, they’re mostly romplers. Pass.

The obvious ones are Native Instruments Kontakt, Arturia’s equivalent, SWAN, Piantoteq, Soundpaint, 8dio, Keyscape etc, but they all seem to be missing bits and pieces. I guess my only option is to chose the best from the bunch and combine them - so running several plugins.

Or…

I bite the bullet and start saving for a Roland Integra 7 or even a Prophet X? My only issue here is that they are both like a billion years old now, so surely software (modelling and sampling) have caught up to the Integra? Unless my expectations are too high and the Integra is still the bee’s knees.

What are you all using these days for “real” instruments?

3 Likes

I’d love to hear the answer to this too actually.

1 Like

The upcoming Anyma Omega could be an option?
(if it’s ever released one day…)

4 Likes

For modeled piano, I think Pianoteq is amazing. I prefer it over any sampled piano. I use it with an 88-key weighted hammer-action keyboard, and it’s great. It has a free trial.

5 Likes

For sampled acoustic instruments, I prefer the VSL offerings myself. Absolutely pristine sound quality and plenty of settings to get exactly what you need. Storage requirements are in the 200GB+ range for a lot of the libraries as a result.

Modeling still has a way to go for perfect realism, but Pianoteq is certainly a viable alternative for pianos.

1 Like

for orchestral IK Multimedia - Miroslav Philharmonik 2 is always very easy to use and sounds ok for most tasks. really like to sequence it with DT for some nasty acoustic techno

for “world” sounds Omnisphere is pretty nice, for piano Keyscape from same company also works really well in most scenarios.

probably they aren’t perfect and someone who writes serious acoustic film music can find some weak spots, but for commercials, pop music, electronics and experiments they are mindblowing.

Another obvious way - Kontakt and commercial libs. Don’t use it myself but it’s also the standard for such things.

also Osmose could be useful for organic things

1 Like

IK Multimedia has impressive collections. Check it out. I couldn’t justify myself spending that much on software yet though.

You can also use Spitfire Audio that gives you free BBC Symphony Orchestra. That I used and sounds OK to me.

2 Likes

I’ve been eying up Audio Modelling for a while now.
Especially their strings, love the cello and kinda want that heart wrenching sound in my music.

https://audiomodeling.com/

2 Likes

Every sound engine has it’s strengths and weaknesses for particular sounds and some of that comes down to personal taste.

For instance I like the SuperNATURAL sounds in my Aerophone Pro over SWAM but many people are the opposite.

I find the best way to get sounds you like is to have a bunch of different sound engines and mix and match :wink:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your reply. I also asked this on GS and yep I think it’s confirmed that it’s best to pick and chose from multiple sources to combine strengths from everyone.

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=16989602&postcount=2

In case you’re in the same situation, here’s Dave Polich’s reply on GS:

For real acoustic instruments…software, every time.

You just have to research and explore. But if you want to know, my go-to VI’s are:

Solo Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Tuba -
SampleModeling.
Brass Bundle v3 - Samplemodeling

or Acousticsamples (different “flavor”) for solo Trumpet, Trombone, and Flugelhorn:
VHorns Brass Section

Solo Woodwinds and Reeds (saxes, clarinets, flutes, etc.)

Alternative physically modeled solo strings…
Reason Friktion.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/r…sion/friktion/

Physical Modeled percussion? My faves are
Applied Acoustics Chromaphone 3:
https://www.applied-acoustics.com

Followed by Reason Objekt:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/r…ension/objekt/

If you want realistic acoustic drum kits , then your best bit is really Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.
Superior Drummer 3 | Toontrack

That said, iK’s MODO Drum is the only physically modeled drum kit VI that is worth a look…I often use it to make an extra snare or kick layer, it’s great because you can custom build your own kit piece. Disclaimer: the cymbals and hats are samples and sound crappy, but the snare, kick, and toms are all modeled and sound great.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product…5#nl_form_area

Orchestral strings? Tough call. Too many to recommend. Vienna (VSL), EastWest (www.soundsonline.com), Orchestral Tools, 8dio, Spitfire, Sonokinetic…just way too many to describe adequately. Do your research and more importantly, have a budget. You can spend anywhere from $300 to $10k. I do highly recommend East West’s Composer Cloud subscription because for the price of one plugin, you get access to everything they make, including the orchestral libraries, which are quite good.

Keyboards including Pianoteq? I have ALL of the keyboard VI’s - Pianoteq and all the add-ons for it, Keyscape, every single Rhodes VI (including UAD’s Rhodes) every single Wurlitzer VI, every Clavinet VI. I find use for every one of these from time to time, it is just a matter of what sound the project calls for. No single keyboard VI works for every case, I can tell you that. If you are searching for the holy grail Rhodes, for instance, forget it, you won’t find one. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. But I can recommend two Rhodes which are “almost” holy grail Rhodes VI’s:

VTines MK1

and:

Rhodes V8 Plugin | Official Mk8 Virtual Instrument - Rhodes Music

My secret Dyno-My-Piano Rhodes is a layer of the Rhodes V8plugin and the “SuperDynoChorus” electric piano patch I myself created for the Yamaha MontageM (I am part of Yamaha’s sound design team).

Hammond organs? Two - IK Multimedia Hammond B3-x:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product…x#nl_form_area

or UAD Waterfall Organ:
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/i…erfall-b3.html

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve listed my favorites. Doesn’t mean I don’t call up other products from time to time. There are gems from everybody…Arturia, Native Instruments, 8dio, Soniccouture, etc. Again…do your research, keep looking around.

… now to go hunting for that PERFECT Triangle

2 Likes

serious advice : )

Chromaphone is also very nice!

1 Like

Also when it comes down to acoustic instruments, the patches only go so far.

Making it sound real takes a lot of practice emulating the particular instruments and knowing their ranges and limitations.

There was a recent aerophone academy podcast on that

3 Likes

i’ve been doing a lot of work lately that needs “real instrument” sounds. as others said, each has it’s own strong suit.

right now i’m mainly using

-keyscape and trillian are really good for keys and bass sounds. trillian has a lot of synth stuff too but plenty of acoustic basses too. keyscape has so many amazing pianos and E pianos.

• kontakt with various NI banks and 3rd party banks. explore because there is a lot to be had with kontakt when you start looking into 3rd party banks. lots of amazing free ones too.
  • east west opus (surprised no one mentioned this one yet). not a fan of subscriptions but for $20 a month you get everything from them, like many TBs worth of content. their orchestral stuff is amazing, they also have some really cool singing plugins.
  • superior drummer 3 - really easy to program drums that are nearly indistinguishable from a real drummer/drum kit.

between these 4 i feel like i have pretty much everything from traditional acoustic/electric instruments all the way to more eclectic and world instruments and percussion. in my opinion, horns seem to be hard to get sounding realistic (especially if you haven’t practiced how to express accurately with a keyboard), so im excited to see improvements in that front as technology improves.

1 Like
2 Likes

I saw Reason’s Objekt and Friktion mentioned - they’re both interesting instruments and well worth a play. For my money, I prefer Objekt as you can get some really interesting ethereal-yet-physical sounds out of it, and contrary to marketing and popular use it’s great for weird bowed/blown sounds as well as struck/percussive sounds.

1 Like

When I had a MPC some of the multi samples from MPC-samples.com were pretty pretty good! Strings, pianos and horns not bad!

2 Likes

If this is a topic you are interested in, I would highly recommend you have a look here.

Lots of professional composers there. I think even Han Zimmer is a member. That said, it did a real number on my wallet years ago going down this rabbit hole, so beware. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would really like if someone suggest a nice orchestral instrument with every “academic music” instrument available, would be cool to get even some rare things like mandolin, balalaika, accordion etc… Solo sounds, groups, strings, brass, french horn, english horn, percussion… like Miroslav Philarmonic 2, but maybe a bit better sounding, not something “esoteric” and “rare”, but more like a standard popular solution with solid sound which used by everybody. Not separated libs, but one instrument with everything.

1 Like

this one is lovely! checked some other demos on their site, you can get pretty far with it.

LofiLeif has a lot of virtual acoustic instrument demos - SWAM, Audio Modeling, Vi Labs, etc. - seems to be passionate about those sounds

1 Like