Vids or examples of a techno PA set with AR*2 + DJ Mixer?

I’ve been toying with the idea of a live setup with just 2 ARs and a DJ mixer. But before I sink money into that setup, I’d like to see how others have configured it.

The idea is that each AR is essentially a turntable.

I’m thinking that for it to really work well, I’d need a larger mixer in between the ARs and the DJ/performance mixer to do more level setting, eq’ing, etc…

But again, I’d love to see what others are doing in terms of routings, sends, etc…

The problem is I can’t find any examples!

Either no one is doing this (I find that hard to believe) or they are shy about sharing their setup…

Anyone have any leads here?

2 x AR and a mixer (like a xone 62 or 92) would be SO fun … but expensive. And also a little tideous if you want to mirror both AR (sample management).

Maybe you should start with a single AR and a looper? Expand later with a second AR.

Another option would be the pioneer toraiz or a stem player (with traktor - kontrol D2 for example).

“Expensive” is relative. :slight_smile: vs.what people drop on EuroCrack systems or vintage geetars… This would be cheap! :slight_smile:

Or any CDJ for that matter…

However, AR is not for everyone. Try it first!!

Neat idea. I think the rytm could cary the show but a diversity of instruments is nice too.

Second the looper approach. That’s how I do and it gives you loads of layering options. I usually use the OT for this but just posted a video in ‘our music’ using a kaoss pad and am considering an rc 505.

I remember an old post about the 2 AR config but can’t find it anymore.

It probably works very well for drum oriented set (techno, minimal…) but could get more tricky for melodies and such.

He has some good tipps imho.

1 Like

Oh, I got one. But just one. :slight_smile:

Holy crap! That’s PERFECT. And I’d actually been contemplating a variation on that with the mackie and the DJ fx thing. Great share!

I havnt used the AR but I used to rockout a MDUW in a similar scenario.

My setup then was:

Two MDuw
Behringer DDM4000
kaoss pad
laptop runnning ableton.

the dj mixer allows you to do easy transitions from one pattern too another. Pick the right mixer to suit your style and setup. It was hours of fun and very productive from a production perspective.

Ps checkout youtube lots of people use the laptop as a soundcard or multiple elektron boxes via midi to do similar things minus the dj mixer, it sjust a mixer with a crossfader at the end of the day.

It’s the whole PC thing that’s driving me to this. I’m soooo tired of VST crashes, etc. I’ll prob have to use a light weight PC or iPad to do some snazzy midi stuff with my drum pads, but other than that.

what you doing with your drumpads? I mean, perhaps a bomebox would suffice…

I’m working on a way to play the AR with 'em.

Right now I’m using an old Alternate Mode Drumkat with a few extra pads.

Mainly because I’ve not really seen anyone else do it, and because the level of expression you can get out of the AR by mapping velocity to various parameters is insane. Not sure why more people don’t take advantage of it…

But I want to eventually be able to basically “play” the AR with just drums. Mutes, pattern selects, etc.

Why? Because I like to find difficult stuff that I can stress over. :slight_smile:

Any chance you have any vids of playing with this Setup?

Nah, any melody with more that 3 notes is just showing off. :slight_smile:

No vids I sold all my gear when i had to move flat. type in you tube “octatrack dj set” there are already videos up, heres one…

Iv not used an OT or an AR and am unsure which boxes to use next the only things i kept were my genelecs, mixer and an old korg er 1 mkii.

Things I regrett selling

TE op1
RS7000
mdUW

The rest wasnt very usefull for me personaly and iv tried everything “groovebox” wise.

If your just making techno you are making the right choice, maybe an OT to go with the AR.

I’m necro’ing this again…

Now that some time has passed and I’ve managed to try out a few things, I’m still stuck on how to set up what I want…

I’d like to get a 4 channel DJ mixer with it’s high-level EQ, state variable filters, cross fading etc. to add to performance possibilities of the AR and eventually an AK.

The issue is that at any given time, I have no idea, at least ahead of of time, how I want the AR’s 8 outs and the AK’s 4 outs routed or merged into the 4 channel DJ rig’s inputs.

Is there some kind of magical device that would allow on-the-fly re-routing of the 16 Elektron channels into the 4 channels of the DJ mixer (other than a patch bay)?

For some of the time, maybe I want AR channels 1,5,11,12 going into DJ mixer ch1, and AK ch 1,2 and AR 1,5,7 into mixer channel 2 (note I’ve got AR’s BD ch1 in both of those routings)…

I’ve tried to rig something up with my mixer and route to submixes then have those outputs go into the DJ mixer, but not having much luck.

Is a patchbay going to be the only way to really do this?

I guess it will feel a bit like a Eurorack with all the plug/unplug. :slight_smile:

Manual options:

A mixer with 12 inputs and either 4 aux sends or two stereo group outputs.

If you only needed 8 inputs then you could buy the Shure Auxpander that I’m selling. It has 8 inputs and you can send any amount of each input to any of the 4 stereo outputs. :cheeky:

Automated options:

Mixer or computer + audio interface with some kind of scene recall.

HA! That’s exactly the direction I went (I bought a Behringer QX sumptin sumptin) that I figured would work, i could use it’s 4 sends for FX, plus it’s onboard FX and route things with these sub-groups, but I’m not able to figure out how to get them all to go where I want them.

Your answer leads me to believe I prob. just need to figure it out more…

The thing I can’t figure out, is that the mixer has a button next to the channel fader where I can choose Sub1-2 or Sub3-4, and on the back there’s 8 outputs… I’ve managed to figure out that output 1 is paired with 5 to make a stereo pair, etc., and there’s 4 faders that seem to be “somehow” connected in the middle but I’m really not grokking how it supposed to work, because when I send to a group, it only comes out of one side of the outputs… Ugh

Thanks!

IIRC there exist mixers that can be MIDI controlled, and assuming they listen to prog chng messages, this oughta be the easiest way for changing bussing configs on the fly… One of my friends has an old Akai mixer that listens to MIDI, I’ll try to ask him how it works.

EDIT: Found something online about an old Peavey unit - Peavey MAP 8 x 4 MIDI controllable patchbay. Supposedly has 127 program locations for recalls, suggesting it listens to pgm chng… Not sure how easy these are to come by nowadays.

EDIT2: Found something that should still be available!
http://www.signex.com/arc32.html