Very poorly Octatrack

So, i’ve had a little issue with the MIDI button that’s been a bit dodgy. It’s obviously not happy, has a “hair trigger” and changes from audio to MIDI with the slightest of touches and then won’t change with a "regular"press. When i press FUNC + MIXER/PROJECT,
the PARTS selection page appears.
By coincidence, a friend came over just after I noticed this problem with his moody, teenage son in tow. The friend told me his son was interested in music production/ Djing and could I show him “The Mothership” ?
“Stick him in demo mode on the OT he’ll be happy.” I thought, but, i couldn’t access Demo with the button/bootup combo. After many tries, we booted up pressing Yes and applying some light pressure on the MIDI button West to East. 9 to 3 ( you get my drift) and we’re in!
After reporting all this in a support ticket to Elektron, the gentlemen at HQ couldn’t have been more helpful and sent me a few replacement buttons FOC as my OT as out of warranty as it can be and it’s allegedly an easy fix for an engineer.
I haven’t got round to getting the button replaced as the OT is the brain of my setup and i’m working on a couple of projects that needed to get finished, but today the MIDI button gave up altogether and now I can’t select any of the audio tracks. I can mute them but not change from track to track.
I have an ongoing open support ticket with HQ but just wondered if anyone else has experienced such problems and could this seemingly “progressive organ failure” stem from one faulty button.
I’ve tried to be really philosophical and not get uptight about this, assuring myself everything’s going to be fine and it’s just a bit of Kismet fucking with me on the eve (or there abouts) of the new OS, BUT after completely throwing my back out unplugging and preparing her for travel to either Sweden or “Weirdy Beardy” round the corner, i’ve turned to the darkside (and Tramadol)
Anyone?
:weary:

Oh dear, devastating…
Have you saved your Part and Project ?
I guess returning to Factory settings won’t help…

Have you opened the box ?

2 Likes

I don’t seem to have lost anything per se,
Just can’t make it work how it should. I’ve changed Projects and everything is there.
Done a Factory reset.
I haven’t opened it, but I suppose that is the next option, but having seen pictures of the inners of an OT, unless it’s got a coral reef of corrosion or ectoplasm or something obvious, i really wouldn’t like to get too involved. :no_mouth:

Buttons and switches fail sooner or later, my old MPC has 3 or 4 that are almost as bad off as what you’re describing, and the stock tact switches from the x0xb0x BOM lasted about 3 years of moderate, gentle use before they started to fail on me and had to get upgraded. It should be simple for anyone who is good at soldeting, I’ve never opened my OT (still under warranty otherwise I’d have popped it open as soon as I got it) but I’ve seen a couple videos and it looks simple and easy to work on. if you’re having someone open it anyway mayne consider replacing all the switches in one go rather than doing it a few at a time as they wear out.

1 Like

Thanks mate.
Well worth considering.

Seems unlikely that this is one button. You might want to run the OT’s self test (Test Mode) and notify support of the change in situation.

If you do eventually open it up yourself, the main thing you can do is to ensure that all the cables between the circuit board are firmly seated in their sockets.

Hope it works out for you!

3 Likes

Good luck. :wink:

1 Like

Yup, Test Mode was the first stop and subsequently every other next stop, always coming back OK to all.
@sezare56 No wonder you’re winking! Unfortunately, I was born with a rare medical condition called Bunglelitus (to some a curse, to others a blessing) , so even getting my poor freakishly large digits in, let alone successfully unseating then reseating the connectors, just ain’t gunna happen mon ami! :wink:

The triple drop Tramadol has finally kicked in for the old back so at this present moment, who gives a flying fortress!
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes