Very old TM-1 firmware, how can I update it?

Over the Christmas break I pulled out my old TM-1 to back up my machine drum and maybe transfer and edit some internal samples. Apparently windows 10 doesn’t recognize the device with firmware this old.

Elektron support suggests I find a computer that can update it. Which seems problematic, and a somewhat insurmountable problem at this point. How have folks in this position gone about updating their firmware?

I don’t really own any old versions of windows. I guess I could do this with a Linux partition. Has anyone updated their firmware Via linux?

Windows XP. LOL.

My assumption is that, like most firmware, it is OS agnostic (Hence the OSX stuff) and technically it costs time, but yeah maybe ill just give that a try, when I can find that time. Thanks for your assistance BTW!

Sorry for the necro bump, but I’ve embarked on my quarterly attempt to see if I can get my TM-1 working.

Were you ever able to get it updated using an older windows version? I’ve had no luck with any systems I’ve tried, Win or OSX

HAHAHA no. What is weird is I was literally just thinking about trying to tackle this again.

Damn, maybe theres just no hope for turbo midi in 2021… :sleepy:

1 Like

i guess it’s updated via USB?
then install Virtualbox, install whatever old Windoze inside, and use USB passthrough.

I was actually leaning more towards trying to update via Linux, which I have way more experience with than virutalbox and trying to dig up an ancient ass version of windows.

i’m on Linux for decades, but most firmware updaters are Win/Mac only, so using Virtualbox is usually the easiest method.

1 Like

the update is a sysex file, not an installer. They suggest using C6, which has a workaround for linux Alternative to C6 on Linux

I will look into Virtualbox and an old windows os license if this doesnt work. Thanks!

1 Like

So I started down the usb linux path, but figured I would check again if win 10 recognized my old ass TM-1, and holy shit it did. So I used c6 to copy the firmware over, and I think you may be in luck, cuz I just spent the last hour transferring samples in TURBO mode.

Something has changed in the the last 2 years for me!

3 Likes

That’s great to hear, maybe there is hope. Unfortunately I get the same connection issues on OSX and Windows, maybe I’ll see about a Linux machine…

(Actually replying)

What is the error? Is the TM-1 not recognized?

It’s just stuck in a loop of being recognized for a few seconds and then disconnecting and getting recognized again over and over.

Oh no. Yeah mine wasn’t even recognized, it just came in as a generic usb device.