Vermona Perfourmer alternative?

Had a perfourmer, just sold it back to the guy I bought it from.

Beautiful oscillator, fun voice routing, bad patch ability, meh filter, meh envelope.

Kept my A4 mk2. Going to try setting its poly mode up and see how close I can get the rotating sequences to be like the perfourmer…

1 Like

no the best way is to make them drastically different, not the same! (I’m kidding, they’re all great uses of it.)

you can do this with a Cirklon, by the way. have patterns “steal” notes from a “main” pattern and send them to whatever set of synths you want. doesn’t have to be round-robin either, you can sequence the “stealing.” but regardless… a Perfourmer is still easier to get a hold of, and cheaper than a Cirklon :rofl:

This is exactly how I felt when I got my MPC3K.

quoting myself to correct myself…

it’s even simpler to do this in a Cirklon. totally forgot about Poly Spread…

1 Like

I am very inclined to buy a pair of perfourmers, first the mk1 and once I learn all the features the mk2 will arrive. I think it will be a great pair, the first sounds coarser and the second is softer (if that’s not true I’ll just keep the one I prefer). for now i’m using an a4 mk1, and reading this tread i’m thinking about how to simulate the play modes of the vermona, i think setting the poly mode to “allocation -> rotate” and “use track sound on” might work. has anyone tried it yet?

if it works I wanted to start with the same sound on all tracks with a 3-note chord sequence, slightly modify the various parameters for each track and see the evolution. if it works well you can remove a track from poly mode and see how the sequence changes

I have 6 Monotribes and they will not really sound like the PerFOURmer, nor the perFOURmer
like the Monotribes.

The filters are too different. One is Moogish/Rolandish and the other totally Korg MS-10ish.

-My Vermona '14 sounds different from my perFOURmer, and has an ADSR for filter and AMp, whlist the perFOURmer has one ADSR.

Even with my AR mod for the Monotribe for the filter, the Korg sound predonimates.

So, IMHo, a Monotribe will not sound like a perFOURMer.

5 Likes

the mk1 has no fine tune.
that was THE major improvement of the mk2
in my opinion.
I would buy the mk2 first.
when you still think you want another one get the mk1.

I don´t have a PerFourmer anymore, but
in my imagination 2 of them is quite a lot of the same thing.
Don´t forget you have to adjust every single parameter
of every voice.

I´d rather combine the Per4mer with a synth, that has filter control over all it´s voices.
Just my opinion.

2 Likes

The perFOURmer IMO makes an excellent 4 VCO mono synth.
It oozes retro vibes to my ears.

Surely time will pass if I ever want to buy the second one, yes there are many knobs but it is (apart from the sound) the thing I like about vermona, no submenu and with a glance I guess where they are positioned and which one can lead me to the next sound I have in mind, at least it is so for my drm1. I noticed that the finetune is missing but the audio path remains the same, right?

I never tried both versions side to side.
had the mk1 for some years
and once had the opportunity to play
the mk2 for some hours.

soundwise the experience was pretty much the same
but in my memory the mk2 felt much nicer to play,
bigger knobs, fine tune, …

back then I sold the mk1 and was sure I´d buy the mk2 later. That´s nearlly 10 years ago,
If I ever get one again, it´s the mk2 (or3)

1 Like

a question instead on the workflow for those who used the mk1 or mk2, did you prefer to use it as 4 mono, 1 poly or a combination of the two? I am intrigued by the possibility of switching from one to the other in continuity, perhaps leaving one voice on one channel and three on the same (as long as it can be done but from what I understand yes)

It’s look like the PERfourMER is out of stock everywhere. The price in used market have jumped. Maybe an MKIII on the way ?

Can’t find the post right now but someone on this forum had contacted Vermona about that only to be told no follow-up for the Perfourmer was in the works. IIRC, they said they’re about five months behind in Perfourmer orders.

Actually, at least part of this information was from @Tchu in this very thread.

3 Likes

its with all niche gear nowadays, as people have more time at home.
Also we are hyping the machine here on forums:)

I received an email from Vermona about a week ago that said “Perfect Circuit will get some PERfourMER MKIIs this month.”

Whoa! You just made my day. I ordered one with Perfect Circuit from a couple months ago.

1 Like

Every time I seen this thread title in the post topic list I always want to leave this response:

:laughing:

1 Like

I can only speak for myself, I am not planning on selling my perFOURmer, and maybe others do not want to either. Like me, they might believe it is too good to sell.

To put things in perspective, here in Canada, we have a used person-to-person sales webpage called kijiji.

If you want to find a Volca, Microbrute, Behringer K2 or Mini-D…there are plenty on sale.

As of May 17 for ALL of Canada there is
1 DRM1 MK3 for sale
and someone looking for perFOURmer.

Didn’t check ebay or reverb as I use neither of these!

Demand is exceeding supply!

Trust me when I say the core Typhon oscillators sound (without effects) earth-shattering. It’s pure analog heaven. The time-based and modulation effects do add an artificial quality, however the extensive range of distortion and drive effects provide plenty of options for beef.

2 Likes

I’ll check the Typhon since the time i see it around :wink:

Seems like the PerFourmer is out of reach in many ways!